Barbour European

Any more pics from the 80’s ? :smiley:

Duncan, and his son Stewart, “the auld alliance”, Gennivilliers,those bars. They ended up with at least 6 TR305 Renaults, I wonder why■■? Really nice people, great times.
I see from the photos Princes cocked it up again, (should have stuck to AECs). Thanks for the happy memories, Ive some great photos, but no way of posting them…b… ludite! Cheerio for now.

Ok, No problem in keeping happy memories close to the heart :smiley:

Whilst I might have listed Duncan’s lads as an “Old” Southampton haulier as thats where we all met up on a sunday or monday evening, shipping out for the week and then transferred to Portsmouth, I thought they aought to have a thread in their own right as there has been no listing for them so far.

Willie, Billy, “MR.” Sinclair, Ian, Barry, Kevin and no doubt loads more since then!

I only have these two photos…can’t remember who’s truck it was, maybe they will own up. Not that the driver was at fault his truck broke down.

No doubt there are more photos out there.

[/

Oops,well boss!

Good one Gazzer had some cracking times with them, Also Jimmy Brown (RIP), Davy Flemmin, Roy(Cockney Jock) and Hartley Hare!

Regards GAZ

All I can remember was Sinclair and a another who had no neck at the bar of of one of the Townsend Thoreson boats and dear old Ian Lennox from lesmahago who I spent approx 18 hrs in his company on a truckline boat when the weather was at the least unclement,then on one of his more inebriated nights wanting to relieve my head from my body in Le Havre. Scotch persons do not change
All the best to you all :confused:

I remember shipping out on Easter Monday 1983 Portsmouth/Cherbourg
afternoon sailing on my first trip for R&A. I had just come back after a 14mnth break from the job. The Barbour lads and me were the only drivers on the boat. They all made a fuss and we got into a serious celebration, by the time we got halfway accross the channel I was blitzed. Welcome back!!!

Regards GAZ

GAZ IOW
How about this ex Barbour driver you worked with ?
ps haven’t got your pm yet !
Regards Richard

I suppose we all remember Drunken (Duncan) Barbours for one reason or another but mine was when driving down the road looking for somewhere to eat and sleep for the night. Quite often I would indicate to turn into a Routier and then spot a couple of Drunken Barbours. I would cancel my indicator and drive on to another restaurant. You may call me a coward but at least I stayed sober and had a good nights sleep !!!

Maggie D

Great picture of Mick Collier Rich. Last I heard he was taxi driving, but that was years ago. Perhaps you can bring us up to date?

re the PM I shall try again.

Regaeds GAZ

Hi all,
As some of you may or may not remember i drove for Barbours for a while
i took over Robin Bartletts motor when he left and Jimmy Brown RIP gave me
a lift to Stirling to collect it. One of the best jobs i,ve ever had, and certainly one
of the hardest too, although mainly through self infliction.
They had an office in Gennevilliers which at the time i was there was run by
Duncans son, Stewart. Many a good night was had with him and all the other drivers already mentioned.( many a thick head the following morning as well )
Whenever we bumped into the " old man" Duncan on one of his many jaunts to Paris he would always pay for our meals, booze ,n all. Great bloke.

traniht:
All I can remember was Sinclair and a another who had no neck at the bar of of one of the Townsend Thoreson boats and dear old Ian Lennox from lesmahago who I spent approx 18 hrs in his company on a truckline boat when the weather was at the least unclement,then on one of his more inebriated nights wanting to relieve my head from my body in Le Havre. Scotch persons do not change
All the best to you all :confused:

What happened to Ian Lennox ? is he still driving ? I knew him on Smith of Maddiston, he stayed with me a couple of times in Southampton and I stayed up with him up near Glasgow.
Didn’t he loose an eye when a trailer door handle flipped up and caught him ?

Hi Dave,
Yes Ian did lose an eye,must have been getting on for 20 years ago.
Did,nt stop him driving though. Dunno what he,s doing now mate, the only Barbours driver i,ve seen in pasing in recent years that i recognised was Sinclair.
Got your PM Dave,sent you one back
Tony

Whoops !!! Spelt passing wrong :blush: :blush: :blush: