Mercedes benz of the 1980

the second truck that i drove was a 1980 w reg merc 1617 26 foot flat on a 5.9 wheelbase.it was a day cab but wat a difference to the british trucks of that time was a nice warm cab and solid on the road.the major thing i had to get used to was the gearbox,it was an 8 speed knock over but the gears were back to front.starting by the driver and working to the left.when used to it it was no problem but if you thought about gear changes or drove another truck then sometimes a hash would be made of the gearchange normally on a steep hill with a line of traffic behind

Drove one of those but on a T plate. I remember the first time, took me about 5 mins to work out how to turn the ignition on :blush: . Instead of turning the key(doing that turned the lights on) it had to be pushed right in and it had a seperate starter button. Had many a night out in that 1617 day cab , more comfortable than the Bedford km that proceded it - Happy days . . or should i say nights !! :laughing:

also had one on a r plate j,w,q, had one in reading day cab also OJB 124R

I had one in the late 80’s, I guess i was lucky, mine had the small sleeper cab which was ok for a four wheeler,
When it was due for replacement the gaffer was going to buy a Ford cargo, but i badgered him into getting a DAF1900 sleeper,
that was’nt a bad motor at all for its day.
Jerry

Just moving off topic, what are Sk’s like to drive?
A few companies over my way still have a few on the road, the newest I have seen was a tractor unit on a 'T or V ’ plate.
Just I may end up driving one.

Ahh the good old “Powerliner” .Drove a 1729 for while :blush: not a bad cab in its day,basic but functional,fitted with the dreaded EPS gear shift that would never go into reverse at the most awkward of moments. Cant be that many firms still running SK"s can there ?

By whiplash_012 at 2009-02-03.First lorry I drove,1617 Mercedes,unofficially,for Pegasus Transport,Fulham.Poxy day cab,converted to a sleeper!Very leaky.No night heater.

By whiplash_012 at 2009-02-03.Same again,weekended.

Suedehead:
Ahh the good old “Powerliner” .Drove a 1729 for while :blush: not a bad cab in its day,basic but functional,fitted with the dreaded EPS gear shift that would never go into reverse at the most awkward of moments. Cant be that many firms still running SK"s can there ?

Although I haven’t seen a tractor unit working on the road for a while, there are a few utilities companies/ builders merchants still using rigids.

Suedehead:
Drove one of those but on a T plate. I remember the first time, took me about 5 mins to work out how to turn the ignition on :blush: . Instead of turning the key(doing that turned the lights on) it had to be pushed right in and it had a seperate starter button. Had many a night out in that 1617 day cab , more comfortable than the Bedford km that proceded it - Happy days . . or should i say nights !! :laughing:

An interesting point about the ignition key and starter buttons. I always remember the novelty of a Ford that turned off when you turned the key back, Fords and ■■■■■■■ engined trucks were my first memory of this. What about the engine stop cables on almost all other trucks?

Suedehead:

This one was sold for export last month and was still working upto then

Here’s a couple of pics of the old lass I drove at Fergie’s, she was naturally aspirated and at 38 tonnes I went down the box on hills like winding an organ, the ZF double H splitter always ensured your left arm was well exercised and she went through exhaust systems as if blowing through a wet paper bag (had to be sourced from Germany too) but I was quite fond of her, even without the full sleeper I was comfortable enough. The only wagon I ever had a blow out with, on the nearside second steer coming down to Team Valley on the A1 giving it plenty but she never wavoured apart from a slight wobble of the steering wheel. One of four 38 tonners at the Sunderland depot at the time, the others were G reg MAN’s and we run a lot of cranes out of Grove Coles when not on the steel out of Hartlepool for Seaham Docks and general work. Franky.