Dare I ask????

I was speaking to a lady today from DHL regarding doing some work for there container division, it all sounded quite promising which must mean its not all its cracked up to be, are there any O/D’s on here who do work for DHL? what are they like? are there rates anygood, i understand they don’t go on mileage but on a price for the job.
I liked the fact that on the second week of work you could draw against the first weeks money for fuel on a supplied fuel card,(would save having to find 4-5 weeks diesel money) and there trailer rental seemed quite good to £100 a week all in, for service, mot , tyres and faults.

Would this be quite a comfortable route to go down as a new start as they say " 2 year contract for work"? or am i setting myself up for heartache?

Thank you for your input.

A’friend’ left Maritime in Leeds for DHL and lo he returneth!!
Trailer available on same deal ex. hill hire at £80/week + vat

Containers are the bain of everybody’s lives but at times they can get you out of the s…t, but long term it’s iffy.

Hanbury are advertising the new deal for subbies with payment in week 2, read the contract and then use it to bed down your hamster.
If you want to cavort around GB at £1.12/mile at 44 tonne come and sub for me and I’ll buy a villa somewhere warm… Harsh words but meant in a helpful way.
Macfarlanes subs. I speak to seem fairly happy and not a container in site!! bonus!!

:cry:

I’ve worked for DHL Manchester and DHL Felixstowe. . via Paul Hunn

Mancester paid £1.25ppm - sounds good but short runs and you spend most of the day sitting around. £1200 pw is not unusual.

Felix never answer the phone and pay £1.12ppm - this needs to be at least £1.20 to make any profit.

No worries getting your money tho. . :unamused:

budge i work for dhl on and off but not the container side of things admittedly.
once you have contacted dhl, ie paul hunn at felixstowe they will send out the usuall forms and you become an approved supplier. this enables you to work for any dhl ( now known as dhl exel supply chain ) depot in the country. the downside is you have to contact the depots for work. i use them mainly for backloads to scotland. the plus side is there are hundreds of depots and also
alows you to work full time pulling theyre trailers plus all the facilities you mention. they certainly have the work if you can get set up with them.there is sure to be one near you and generaly the rates are above average. i work on price per job. ie full load from warrington to edinburgh 3 drops. £ 350 for the travel plus £20 per drop, = £410 +vat for an easy backload.

weewulliewinkie:
budge i work for dhl on and off but not the container side of things admittedly.
once you have contacted dhl, ie paul hunn at felixstowe they will send out the usuall forms and you become an approved supplier. this enables you to work for any dhl ( now known as dhl exel supply chain ) depot in the country. the downside is you have to contact the depots for work. i use them mainly for backloads to scotland. the plus side is there are hundreds of depots and also
alows you to work full time pulling theyre trailers plus all the facilities you mention. they certainly have the work if you can get set up with them.there is sure to be one near you and generaly the rates are above average. i work on price per job. ie full load from warrington to edinburgh 3 drops. £ 350 for the travel plus £20 per drop, = £410 +vat for an easy backload.

I live about 15 minutes from East Midlands Airport which is a major part of DHL if i’m not mistaken, do you think its worth a try just phoning tem up and having a chat
to see if they require anything?

Budge:
I live about 15 minutes from East Midlands Airport which is a major part of DHL if i’m not mistaken, do you think its worth a try just phoning tem up and having a chat

Where abouts do you live? North or South of EMA?

If your south then the DIRFT / Daventry has the greatest concentration of DHL warehouses for a fair distance around. Also the DIRFT is now owned + run by them (Steady eddie got rid of the stake he had in it). So if you have a “backup” for container work it is nice.

Sockpuppet:

Budge:

Where abouts do you live? North or South of EMA?

If your south then the DIRFT / Daventry has the greatest concentration of DHL warehouses for a fair distance around. Also the DIRFT is now owned + run by them (Steady eddie got rid of the stake he had in it). So if you have a “backup” for container work it is nice.

I live near Coalville ( M1 j22)
so i’m sort of between them both ( nearer to EMA) though.
Stupid question but how would one go about making ones self known to them?
Just phone and say “hello i have a unit do you have work to run it”?
Is it that easy?
Would it pay to have a trailer or would traction only be a better option given the size of DHL ,ie drop and swap, time saving and what have you?

I live near J22 (well half way between J22 and J21).

If I was you I’d try these people (in no particular order)

Benson Box (Bardon Ind Estate)

Widdowson Group (who I think also run the Benson Box lorries…or at least act as TM for BB - the op seems to be seperate from Widdowsons main)

Walkers @ Beaumont Leys - they use subbies

DIRFT - there are:

Rail Head - probably need own skelly trailer though
Tesco - probably some loads out of there
Dav 1, Mothercare are not worth a look as they are mainly parcel deeliveries from warehouse out.

NFT @ Crick usually have some subbies in there.

The “own” trailer argument is complex.

Traction only is good as most trailers are standard. However if you are looking to purchase you need to know what work you will be doing.

• Box or curtain?

• Ambient or Chilled/Froz

• Skelly or Flatbed?

There is a lot of food places where we are so I would be tempted to look at gettng some reefer work with the bonus that if you turn the fridge off you have a box trailer. Plus I like reefer work for some reason but that my personal preference.

Sockpuppet:
I live near J22 (well half way between J22 and J21).

If I was you I’d try these people (in no particular order)

Benson Box (Bardon Ind Estate)

Widdowson Group (who I think also run the Benson Box lorries…or at least act as TM for BB - the op seems to be seperate from Widdowsons main)

Walkers @ Beaumont Leys - they use subbies

DIRFT - there are:

Rail Head - probably need own skelly trailer though
Tesco - probably some loads out of there
Dav 1, Mothercare are not worth a look as they are mainly parcel deeliveries from warehouse out.

NFT @ Crick usually have some subbies in there.

The “own” trailer argument is complex.

Traction only is good as most trailers are standard. However if you are looking to purchase you need to know what work you will be doing.

• Box or curtain?

• Ambient or Chilled/Froz

• Skelly or Flatbed?

There is a lot of food places where we are so I would be tempted to look at gettng some reefer work with the bonus that if you turn the fridge off you have a box trailer. Plus I like reefer work for some reason but that my personal preference.

Cheers for that mucker , can’t really try Widdowson’s as i work there at the minute and i know they don’t really Sub stuff out, Not sure about Benson Box i know we service there wagons but none of our blokes run there trucks…
Alot to go on there Matey thanks for that.

Budge:

Sockpuppet:

I HATE fridges with a passion, the noise it drives me mad, i don’t think i could do it. unless it pays really well… :laughing: :laughing:

budge futher to your recent question dhl there is a dhl depot in coalville i know because ive been in it umpteen times. but get yourself set up first its really easy just the usual copies of letterhead and git insurance which has to be for minimum £ 3000 per ton. then you can steam into all that dhl work. finally they are one of the few companies where you will get you money spot on every month. good luck with it. GET IN THERE BUD :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

weewulliewinkie:
budge futher to your recent question dhl there is a dhl depot in coalville i know because ive been in it umpteen times. but get yourself set up first its really easy just the usual copies of letterhead and git insurance which has to be for minimum £ 3000 per ton. then you can steam into all that dhl work. finally they are one of the few companies where you will get you money spot on every month. good luck with it. GET IN THERE BUD :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I can’t believe i forgot about that, there right next to widdowson’s aswell, how foolish of me…

Its all going quite swimmingly now got my cpc booked, got the truck sorted,pretty much all of it apart from the miner detail of an operating center… ■■■■…

Ask Widdowsons if you can operate out of Mill Hill Ind. Estate.

Sockpuppet:
Ask Widdowsons if you can operate out of Mill Hill Ind. Estate.

I did think of that i’ll leave it to nearer the time, i know Simpsons have a couple of wagons based there, i know they have room so who knows.