Work info

Been ringing around again today looking for some sort of work, rang Currie European and UKI Express. They semt interested in givin work out, they didnt make any false promises and both guys I spoke to seemed genuine and didnt promise the earth. They are posting me a subbie pack today so should get it for the weekend and Ill have a read. I know that I wont make a fortune with em, but would I be kept busy?

What im askin is do any of you have any experience of either of these firms, or do you think I would I be better trying to stick it out on the boxes, not that I want to! One of my first posts on this site was about bulk tanker work I had the chance of, and I asked you what you thought of it, the general opinion was go for it - I did, did a fortnight for em before the country dropped on its bum and they had to let me an some others go! I was getting really into it too! They have said that when it picks up I can go back on for them-ROLL ON. Luckily the company I was on for at Felix took me back and thats where I am, now I was doing ok but now things are a changing.and the rates dropping fast.

Any information about these firms and or advice, or any info would be appreciated , thanks.

UKI express pay £1.10 a mile for euro work. They pay ferry but not the tolls and you have to run your own trailer. Not worth a carrot in my opinion. As for curries i dont but would be interested to find out my self.

Junior.r124:
UKI express pay £1.10 a mile for euro work. They pay ferry but not the tolls and you have to run your own trailer. Not worth a carrot in my opinion. As for curries i dont but would be interested to find out my self.

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!110ppm? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: some weeks i do 140ish i thought that was poor…but most weeks it’s 155ppm plus :smiley:

HI. JUNIOR…R 124.
YOU ARe SPOT ON. CURRIES PAYS LESS 95p …THAY ARE BOTH NOT WORTH TOSS. Waste Of A Phonecall Thats The Reason They Have The WORK…Another LOAD Of Junk MAIL Being Sent Out…Its A GOOD Laughf Reading IT. …Better Not To Bin It First…May Depress YOU If You Do .But If You Like Those CONTAINERS. You Must Like CRAP Rates. Thier Junk Mail May Cheer YOU UP…I Dont Think So■■? BETTER TO DRINK TEA at Home

webby alpine:
HI. JUNIOR…R 124.
YOU ARe SPOT ON. CURRIES PAYS LESS 95p …THAY ARE BOTH NOT WORTH TOSS. Waste Of A Phonecall Thats The Reason They Have The WORK…Another LOAD Of Junk MAIL Being Sent Out…Its A GOOD Laughf Reading IT. …Better Not To Bin It First…May Depress YOU If You Do .But If You Like Those CONTAINERS. You Must Like CRAP Rates. Thier Junk Mail May Cheer YOU UP…I Dont Think So■■? BETTER TO DRINK TEA at Home

Curries pay £1.08 PPM, i know someone who is on there

And Webby alpine, WhAt’S wItH aLl ThE CaPiTaLs AnD lOwEr CaSe CrAp?

learn to type properly FFS!!!

please ! :slight_smile:

There are a lot out there that will offer you work around them rates. I have parked my truck up not moved since a week before christmas. I can loose money parked up dont need to go down the road to do that. Sealane are another advertising £1.10ppm ■■■■. Keep on looking me thinks

Got the info over the weekend, it did make interesting reading, but as usual the rates are crap, no point jumping from the frying pan to the fire is there. At least where I am I have abit of a say in what goes off.

Think Im going to stick it here for a little longer, when the wife finally gives birth (anytime in the next 12 days!!) an im at home, ill have a ride over to the powder firm an see how things are going up there. Heard off of the grape vine on sat night that from the middle to the end of feb the work looks as though it may be starting to pick up some. That info came from one of the quarry lads out of the offices so there should be a little truth in it. If not then ill have to get looking again.

Thanks for the info though, better to ask before you jump than ask when you have and it to late to go back.

Cheers an good luck to you all.

does the fact that they will work you when others are folding count for anything or are the rates that bad

If you can run at £1.10ppm and pay all your own tolls and make a do i would like to know how you intend to do that. There has to be a point when you say it is just not worth it and that rate is not worth it

but regaurds ppm how can you compare someone with say a 40k motor to someone running a 15k truck surely overheads come into it and how hard you are prepaired to work

i run 3 trucks and trailers (although i am currently paying for a trailer that i cannot use also :imp: ) all on 115ppm (average)

it is possible, if you run your hours to the max, no, i’m not talking about running bent. Some days, you will still get an early finish due to customers being closed when you get there.

you will need to earn approx £1800 per week plus the dreaded to make it pay, this will cover all the costs and give you a little extra.

£1800/115ppm = 1565.22 miles per week.

if you get the right type of work, you can comfortably do 2000 miles per week, this would give you £2300 plus VAT.

i run for one of the major container hauliers in the country and most weeks i can earn £2000 per week without a problem, and that’s with all the waiting around that can be done :confused:

oh, and i still have a 2002/52 DAF 95XF SuperSpace cab for sale due to upgrading the truck if anyone is interested :smiley:

Yes but there comes a point where nobody can make it pay unless they’re prepared to take an income for themselves that is considerably less than they could get as an employed driver. At £1.10/mile you would need to be doing a lot of very light easy miles to stand any chance of even a small profit even if you had cut all your other costs to a minimum.

Paul

How much do you set a side for your maintenance then.

isnt that the point at being an o/d keeping the costs to a minimum

keep cost to a minimum to provide you with a better wage than working for some one else. but to skimp on things just to make a living you may as well be employed

i do the majority of the maintenance myself, it certainly beats paying main dealers over £70 per hour to do a job i can do myself :laughing:

i pay myself a comparible wage to what i would be earning working for someone else, i pay my drivers a decent wage and a very good night out allowance, they are salaried, but get overtime for running back on a saturday.

it pays me to do it, but i will admit, it could be better.

long days late nights and sore knuckles eh shuttlespanker

lee mat:
long days late nights and sore knuckles eh shuttlespanker

too right :slight_smile:

but i wouldn’t have it any other way :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

you bought or found a truck yet?

its the work i cant find at the mo its bad