Daily safety check sheets

daily safety check sheets.

Is it true you now have to keep a copy of your check sheet on you ?
I was told this is now law since april…

weve not been told that, we just hand them into office before we leave yard

we have been told its a legal requirment to keep it on you for that day defects or no defects recorded then hand it in end of shift but i may be wrong, as if you get tugged by wheel tappers and they find a fault which you would of detected by walking round and havent got it written down (missing tyre :wink: :laughing: :laughing: ) i think they would take a dim view and slip into conversation they accept credit cards :exclamation: :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing:

we keep a weeks worth,(1 checksheet for the week),on us all week.how many are doing the 15 minute walk round inspection every morning.as we have had no memo,seems to be filtering down to us by word of mouth.is it now compulsory?.
i wonder if a “community service” option will be availible,cos after the goverment has had it away with my tax money,im skint.(at least my moat is clean).

I fill mine out first thing in the morning and hand it in with my days paperwork the follwing morning.
I’ve not been told to do this but if i get stopped i can show it and prove that i have done that days checks.I keep it on me for my benefit.

I work for a HSE mad firm…We have to keep a copy of the daily checks with the Truck at ALL times, had the Truck a year now so the side lockers are getting full…
I do belive it is a legal requirement now to have a veh check list done every day.

More stupid rules ,I can see how it takes a car transporter man or if you have a crane or fridge a bit of time to do the checks .If you are on a transit or sprinter it only takes a few minutes to kick the 4 tyres.

alamcculloch:
More stupid rules ,I can see how it takes a car transporter man or if you have a crane or fridge a bit of time to do the checks .If you are on a transit or sprinter it only takes a few minutes to kick the 4 tyres.

Or three if you have one like this

We have a duplicate book with a page for a whole week for checks and another duplicate book where you write in a defect and give a copy to the workshop when they do the repair. Im sure i saw a firm in commercial motor who done theres on a pda which downloaded straight to the office.

There is NO legal requirement for you to keep the record in the cab. However, for something minor like a side marker lamp or top marker out, being able to show my colleagues with the hammers that you had found the defect and reported it goes a long way.

Maintenance records are required to be retained by the Operator for 15 months after they were made

the defect sheet is on the back of the running sheet at a company i work for…you fill it in at the start of the shift…and then sign it off at the end of the shift if no other defects come up.

I have paid enough contrubutions to the moat cleaning fund and puffy cushions and £22,000 for dry rot in politicians good life,on a serious note,is it required to record a pre-shift daily check on the tacho,at least 15 minutes before setting off.Some Euro truckers have been done by French ministry of transport.As they may have done a daily check,then put the anologue tacho in,and set off,not recording the fact.?Knew a company that lost ALL the wheels on a 7.5 tonner in the forest road,Bordeaux to Irun.Gendarmes made them buy new set at a very high price.

toby1234abc:
on a serious note,is it required to record a pre-shift daily check on the tacho,at least 15 minutes before setting off.Some Euro truckers have been done by French ministry of transport.As they may have done a daily check,then put the anologue tacho in,and set off,not recording the fact.?

When I was running containers for Elite (2 years ago), there was a notice up saying that the ministry had been stopping people and if there wasn’t a period of other work before driving, then you could get done. As your tacho should record the whole days activities, it makes sense really. Even if you do it in pen on the back, but that seems pointless if you’re actually at the truck anyway.
I always do my checks after putting my card in, always have. And most places have check sheets now in my experience. Some drivers don’t do the checks, but that’s their lookout. On one job I had a torque wrench in the cab as well, and was expected to do all the wheels once a week. I used to do an axle a day, and 2 on Friday.

my work prints their own daily check sheets for me to fill in.is this ok or does it have to be one of those proper little books? theirs no white or pink copy to tear out just one piece of paper for each day.