Daily checks

Are daily check’s a legal requirement ■■

You’d soon find yourself facing serious legal consequences if you failed to do those checks and a wheel or the load came off 3 miles up the road resulting in mayhem.

Call it protecting yourself from legalities if nothing else.

Do you have your HGV licenses yet?
If so,I think we have a winner for the “biggest reason the CPC is a joke” category
Does it matter if its legal or not? Surely you wouldnt take a lorry on the road without checking for defects first whether the law says you must or not?

I would say yes.
I have to email my daily check sheet to the planners before leaving the yard and carry the check sheet in the vehicle.
Have been asked during a routine roadside if I had prove I had done a daily check, also been informed that you need to show at least 15 mins of other work at the start of your shift on the tacho.

:open_mouth: am I seeing this :open_mouth:
I know we all have to start somewhere but…

13c1ceb56fb8431275b5cdb0f26adbd7.jpg

Drift:
:shock: am I seeing this :open_mouth:
I know we all have to start somewhere but…

You got there first Drift… Sounds like driving licence and cornflake packet springs to mind… So what part of the learning process was the OP AWOL…lol

Way before the DCPC came in , company where i used to work had a driver who never did a daily check, would get his paperwork from the office, start the engine card in and then gone. He had been on hgv’s for 20 years. :unamused:

Why can’t people who ask a straight forward question get a straight forward answer instead of all the bullshine

SHYTOT:
Are daily check’s a legal requirement ■■

No

Card in press yes yes yes,radio on,crack on :wink:

Straight from the DVSA…

Drivers’ responsibilities
Drivers must be made aware of their legal responsibilities regarding vehicle condition and
the procedures for reporting defects. This can be achieved by writing a letter to each driver,
describing defect reporting systems as well as any other duties they are expected to perform.
The driver should sign this letter to show that they have received the letter and understand what
is required. Drivers share the responsibility for the vehicle’s roadworthiness with the operator.
Drivers may be fined or prosecuted for the existence of defects found on the vehicles they drive
if they are considered partly or wholly responsible for the existence of them. Failure to take
these responsibilities seriously could result in the loss of the driver’s licence to drive.

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … hiness.pdf (section 15)

But its also not legal to go with a Un-Roadwordy Vehicle on the Road. :smiley:

What prompted the question…? Out of curiousity…

TM Blogger:
What prompted the question…? Out of curiousity…

He needed his daily ration of Troll Food :open_mouth:

SHYTOT:
Why can’t people who ask a straight forward question get a straight forward answer instead of all the bullshine

Ask a stupid question,get a stupid answer :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

SHYTOT:

It was abit of a daft question though, don’t you think??

Stupid question eh very few of you know the answer

You work for a transport company therefore you should know the answer.

Hence why ask?

Over to you Mr Desypete… :laughing:

volvo keef:

SHYTOT:

Ask a stupid question,get a stupid answer :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I fail to see how it’s a stupid question. I recently received an infringement notice for only showing 14 minutes daily checks which I am currently refusing to sign until they can prove it is a legal requirement.
I’m well aware of my responsibilities to ensure a vehicle meets all legal requirements before driving it on a public road, but I will ask the same “stupid” question as the op. Are daily check’s a legal requirement ? and is it a legal requirement to show 15 mins other work on tacho at start of shift while doing these checks ?