Daily checks

SHYTOT:
Stupid question eh very few of you know the answer

Careful lads, he’s reading our minds…

wing-nut:

volvo keef:

SHYTOT:
Why can’t people who ask a straight forward question get a straight forward answer instead of all the bullshine

Ask a stupid question,get a stupid answer :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I fail to see how it’s a stupid question. I recently received an infringement notice for only showing 14 minutes daily checks which I am currently refusing to sign until they can prove it is a legal requirement.
I’m well aware of my responsibilities to ensure a vehicle meets all legal requirements before driving it on a public road, but I will ask the same “stupid” question as the op. Are daily check’s a legal requirement ? and is it a legal requirement to show 15 mins other work on tacho at start of shift while doing these checks ?

Did you not see this, as per walk around time, it just good practice to show time in your tacho for the walk around as it’s other work and you wouldn’t want to fall foul of the drivers working time directive… More worms :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

SHYTOT:

Mine has been read… I am off to the hills :laughing:

Reef:
Straight from the DVSA…

Drivers’ responsibilities
Drivers must be made aware of their legal responsibilities regarding vehicle condition and
the procedures for reporting defects. This can be achieved by writing a letter to each driver,
describing defect reporting systems as well as any other duties they are expected to perform.
The driver should sign this letter to show that they have received the letter and understand what
is required. Drivers share the responsibility for the vehicle’s roadworthiness with the operator.
Drivers may be fined or prosecuted for the existence of defects found on the vehicles they drive
if they are considered partly or wholly responsible for the existence of them. Failure to take
these responsibilities seriously could result in the loss of the driver’s licence to drive.

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … hiness.pdf (section 15)

I meant this :blush:

seth 70:
Card in press yes yes yes,radio on,crack on :wink:

:laughing: :laughing:

There will be someone using it before you,and then someone else using it after you…let them check it,foot to the floor drive!

Drift:

Reef:
Straight from the DVSA…

Drivers’ responsibilities
Drivers must be made aware of their legal responsibilities regarding vehicle condition and
the procedures for reporting defects. This can be achieved by writing a letter to each driver,
describing defect reporting systems as well as any other duties they are expected to perform.
The driver should sign this letter to show that they have received the letter and understand what
is required. Drivers share the responsibility for the vehicle’s roadworthiness with the operator.
Drivers may be fined or prosecuted for the existence of defects found on the vehicles they drive
if they are considered partly or wholly responsible for the existence of them. Failure to take
these responsibilities seriously could result in the loss of the driver’s licence to drive.

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … hiness.pdf (section 15)

That about sums it up… you asked the legality now you have your answer…

wing-nut:

volvo keef:

SHYTOT:
Why can’t people who ask a straight forward question get a straight forward answer instead of all the bullshine

I fail to see how it’s a stupid question. I recently received an infringement notice for only showing 14 minutes daily checks which I am currently refusing to sign until they can prove it is a legal requirement.
I’m well aware of my responsibilities to ensure a vehicle meets all legal requirements before driving it on a public road, but I will ask the same “stupid” question as the op. Are daily check’s a legal requirement ? and is it a legal requirement to show 15 mins other work on tacho at start of shift while doing these checks ?

Don’t think its long before vosa (or wot ever their name is now) can can start issuing penalties for not not showing time at start of shift for daily checks i.e cross hammers before driving.
Where I work we are given 30 mins to do vehicles checks and clean mirrors lights etc.

wing-nut:

volvo keef:

SHYTOT:

There is no specific offence on my VOSA guide to fixed penalties of not doing a daily check, (I don’t think this has changed since they’ve become DVSA)but it is an offence to use a vehicle on the road in an unroadworthy condition, and they will fine you for that,
Also an operator must have an effective defect reporting and maintenance regime to comply with the terms their operators licence, daily vehicle checks are considered an important part of this, the DVSA often say a high percentage of defects they find on roadside checks could have been found by a daily walk round check.

I have also never seen anything to say that the DVSA have a set time for a daily check, they themselves say it will very much depend on the vehicle and nature of the work. so if you are driving a vehicle that is being used by many drivers or it’s the first time you’ve used it then it will take longer to check everything, than if you are the only driver of a truck you drive everyday.

Our lot(wincanton) give infringements for showing less than 15 mins other work before driving. Whilst I agree checks must be made I disagree with them giving it an exact time although I comply because I can’t be arsed to argue over a few minutes here and there. For instance if your on a night out it doesn’t take 15 minutes to check the same unit and trailer you parked up with that is already coupled up whereas it takes longer than 15 mins to come into a tractor unit that’s been used by somebody else then have to pick up a trailer that’s also been used by somebody else.

Drift:

Evil8Beezle:

SHYTOT:

Mine has been read… I am off to the hills :laughing:

My mind’s been blew! :grimacing:

It is obvious that many drivers don’t even bother to spend five minutes doing checks given the amount of bald tyres and broken marker lights I have had to get sorted before I leave the yard.

Fincham:
It is obvious that many drivers don’t even bother to spend five minutes doing checks given the amount of bald tyres and broken marker lights I have had to get sorted before I leave the yard.

Be alright drive been like that for ages :imp:
The amount of ropey firms out there is shocking

Hank Hill:

Fincham:

This is a firm with DVSA green light status.

Fincham:

Hank Hill:

Fincham:

This is a firm with DVSA green light status.

Thats not good :smiling_imp: Seems like there’s still alot of B/S companies out there with ■■■■■ drivers willing to break the law for them.
if it ain’t fit for the road then I ain’t driving it, stood by this from day 1 has got me barred from afew companies.

It comes down to you get what you pay for, poor pay can equal poor quality drivers.

The legal requirement to check your truck is no different to the legal requirement to check your car that got you to work.

If you could have / should have / would have spotted something then not doing so can get you in a lot of bother.

SHYTOT:

It’s just the way some people are - I blame the parents… :wink:

Outside of all the forum experts, barrack room lawyers and the RDC drivers room scaremongers, the best source for reliable answers are the govt web sites.

Depending on your legal definition, I would say yes it is a legal requirement to check your truck over before venturing out onto the public highway, by virtue of the fact if you don’t check it over, you can get fined if obvious faults are found. The fifteen minutes other work is something of an urban myth though and you won’t find a legally defined length of time anywhere on the web, contrary to what some people assume. Most drivers complete checks within five minutes, as few are trained truck mechanics. Heck I don’t even know what half the electronics do on a modern truck… :open_mouth:

Thank You Liberty Guy

If a judge sees 15 mins check rather than 5mins.
It may be they difference between freedom and imprisonment after you lost the vehicle and ran into a bus stop full of people.
It’s about covering your ■■■.
Anyway what’s the rush ? show 15 have a coffee,have a stretch,have a smoke and away you go.