Vehicle check sheets

Hi all

Could someone please tell me if vehicle check sheets are required. I always do my pre-shift checks, but i’ve been to a few place’s that do not actually have a sheet. Just wondered if a sheet was actually required to be filled out?

Thanks
Ben

bigfoot:
Could someone please tell me if vehicle check sheets are required.

They’re not, could be as simple as just be a check box on the time sheet to say you’ve done the checks

But it is accepted as best practice to have a completed check sheet. Also to note “zero defects” when that is the case. I think there must be very few operators now who don’t use them - - if I were you I would ask for them. It may be that you’re just not being issued with them.

I’m sure it goes without saying that not having a sheet doesn’t excuse you from doing the checks.

Good luck, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Perhaps print off your own if your firm doesn’t provide them?

This isn’t actually a form but it’s a walk around pdf - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74616

Thanks for your replies

I Went to a company on Friday and asked for a vehicle check sheet but the manager stated that there Was’nt one, needless to say i still carried out my checks, but i then didnt really have “proof” if pulled over, that i’d carried the checks out.

Would it be an idea to make some and print a feW copies off to carry incase this happens at another company?

Also if there are any notes to be noted doWn concerning the vehicle, i have noWhere to Write it to prove that i am aWare.

Thanks for your help
Ben

Some companies I work for have their own but some don’t.

When I did my cpc course with the RHA, the instructor showed us a checksheet book with tear out duplicates. I asked about getting hold of some and he let me have his demo one for nothing and I use it whenever there isn’t one in the truck. It fits in a trouser pocket nicely so works for me.

Its a prompt and something to show VOSA.

Ill probably get hold of some more when it runs out.

All operators are obliged to have an effective method of reporting defects and this should be made known to the driver. Sadly, in the real world, this is sometimes overlooked in favour of getting the load out of the yard. But there should be a method in place. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

jamesfwpurdy:
Some companies I work for have their own but some don’t.

When I did my cpc course with the RHA, the instructor showed us a checksheet book with tear out duplicates. I asked about getting hold of some and he let me have his demo one for nothing and I use it whenever there isn’t one in the truck. It fits in a trouser pocket nicely so works for me.

Its a prompt and something to show VOSA.

Ill probably get hold of some more when it runs out.

If you have a scanner in your printer, you could make duplicates that way.

[/quote]
Cant believe I hadn’t thought of that. Big stapler and a few sheets of paper and Im sorted :slight_smile:

jamesfwpurdy:

Cant believe I hadn’t thought of that. Big stapler and a few sheets of paper and Im sorted :slight_smile:
[/quote]
Either that or you can use one I chucked up in photoshop earlier, got the design/layout idea from google.

Sam great copy but no sign of checks for Tax O licence Mot of trailer etc. It shows you have checked if there is a tick box there, DHL do a great one but I cant find one in my bag when I do I will upload it as it does it for trailer and unit.

Disco

discoman:
Sam great copy but no sign of checks for Tax O licence Mot of trailer etc. It shows you have checked if there is a tick box there, DHL do a great one but I cant find one in my bag when I do I will upload it as it does it for trailer and unit.

Disco

Fair point mate, if anyone’s really interested in it then i have no problem in adding anything else that people think should be on there, and if there’s no room i’ll make room. :slight_smile:

Sam Millar:

jamesfwpurdy:

Either that or you can use one I chucked up in photoshop earlier, got the design/layout idea from google.

[/quote]
You can buy these online for nout. I’ll have a look in the car later for the order codes.

Sam Millar:

discoman:

Disco

Fair point mate, if anyone’s really interested in it then i have no problem in adding anything else that people think should be on there, and if there’s no room i’ll make room. :slight_smile:

I think it will be a good idea to keep them in your bag only one thing the boxes were not in line!! :smiley: :smiley: , BTW congrats on the pass when will you be donig ur C+E any ideas yet??

discoman:

Sam Millar:

discoman:

Disco

I think it will be a good idea to keep them in your bag only one thing the boxes were not in line!! :smiley: :smiley: , BTW congrats on the pass when will you be donig ur C+E any ideas yet??

They’re not? They are on my screen. :blush:

Thanks, not too sure yet just when I get some cash. Probably focus on getting a job first though mate.

The defect sheets are really the responsibility of the operator, as many of the TC require the daily use of a Nil Defect system, this means that in the event of an incident, the operator can show that they have a system in place. Even a routine examination will be helped if the licence holder can show a daily defect reporting system.

OK, you can use your own design of sheets but they will not be taken seriously unless every driver on the company uses them and they stay with the vehicle inspection sheets, more important that they can be ■■■■■■■ together.

If the driver sheet shows it has a bald tyre for 3 weeks, and the workshop records show that a full set of tyres was fitted 2 weeks ago. VOSA will want to know why…

You are (new) drivers, you are not the operator/owner of the vehicle, so I’m wondering why some of you are thinking about stuff that’s not your responsibility?

If you’re really interested, here’s what the law says to the boss/TM about defects and maintenance:

GVLoA 1995 S.13(5)(c) (In the context of conditions for the grant and continuance of an Operator’s Licence.)

(c) there are satisfactory facilities and arrangements for maintaining
the vehicles used under the licence in a fit and serviceable condition;

In the quote above, “licence” means an Operator’s Licence, so that’s not aimed at drivers. It’s up to the boss how he complies with it because he’s the licence holder and therefore it’s him who’s answerable to VOSA and the Traffic Commissioner.

At this point, I’ll caution any newbie to not appear to a boss/TM as a (young) cocky know-it-all smartarse, cos you’ll probably only succeed in rubbing them up the wrong way, and please trust me on this, that’s the LAST thing a newbie should do.
The boss will know that you’re new, so my tip is that you keep your head down, your eyes/ears open and your mouth shut, except for when you need to ask a sensible question if you don’t understand an instruction.

Now I’m all for guys being keen, and there’s no harm in that, but wouldn’t it be an idea for new drivers to get to grips with stuff that is actually your reponsibility before thinking of other peoples’ responsibilities ?

By this, I mean here are some pretty serious driver responsibilities:

• Learn how to plan a route paying particular attention to low bridges and weight limits, cos that’s really serious stuff!!
  • Learn how to secure loads properly. (The initial DCPC is only the barest bones on this subject.) This is also really serious stuff!!
  • Learn how to calculate the correct weight distribution so as not to overload a vehicle or axle. Again, this is really serious stuff!!
  • Learn the drivers’ hours requirements. Yet again, this is also serious stuff.

The four ideas above are extremely important, because they (and some others) are your responsibility as a driver, so breaches might lead to you being fined.

:bulb: My post is just a ‘guidance’ idea to give you some food for thought, my questions don’t need any answers. :wink:

I’m not worrying about something the owner should be making sure is present in the vehicle, I was just making sure that it’s not my arse that gets it from VOSA or something if I can’t confirm i’ve done a walk around check that morning. If I have my own then I don’t need to worry if one morning the company doesn’t have one? :slight_smile:

Sam Millar:
I’m not worrying about something the owner should be making sure is present in the vehicle, I was just making sure that it’s not my arse that gets it from VOSA or something if I can’t confirm i’ve done a walk around check that morning. If I have my own then I don’t need to worry if one morning the company doesn’t have one? :slight_smile:

Hi Sam,

I didn’t aim my comments at anybody in particular, it’s just that some bosses/TMs would have a pop at any newbie for daring to do something new, especially if they hadn’t thought of it first. In that situation, if a newbie happens to be an agency newbie, they’d probably not be working there the next day.

Yes Sam, you’re correct that VOSA can ask you for something that shows that you’ve done a walk-around check. Best practice suggests to the boss that he has a system for recording that checks have been carried out and any defects are reported/remedied as necessary.
However, all you really need to show is that you spent some time checking your vehicle at the start of your shift, so you’d fill in an analogue tacho chart, or insert your digi-card, and show ‘other work’ for a suitable time, thereby creating a record that you did so.

If you didn’t spend the time checking your vehicle at the start of the shift and you offered a contrived ‘check sheet’ to an officer during a roadside check, then who’s to say that you didn’t fill it in during your first break, or that it’s part of a system implemented by the company ?

Now we get to Malc’s point about the paperwork all tallying up and looking correct, because VOSA sometimes call in at an operator’s premises and ask to see records. VOSA will spot any deficiencies and speak to the boss about them. There is also a requirement for the records to all tie-up as Malc said, then the records need to be retained on file for 15 months, but again, this is all the boss’/TM’s responsibility.

When it comes to maintenance/defects/repairs and related paperwork, it really is a matter for the boss/TM to decide which system he uses, but as I said, it’s his responsibility.

Going further (in an ideal world) you’d tick all the boxes and note any defects, then get a fitter’s decision on whether the vehicle can go out, or needs an immediate repair. The fitter would then take a copy and sign your copy. That way, not only would you be able to prove that you’d done your checks, but you’d also have something to say that the vehicle is safe on the road. Still in an ideal world, there should actually be three copies, because the boss could do with being kept informed of the vehicle status.

It’s difficult enough being a newbie, learning all that new stuff and getting a start on the ladder, but from my time in this industry, I did sense that somebody might end up rocking a boat that doesn’t need rocking.

Recording 15 mins time as other work at the start of the shift seems satisfying enough to me so I would probably just do that and if given a sheet obviously fill it out, i see now dd. :wink: