Daily Mirror Headline

Just wondered if anyone has seen this front page headline from the ‘Daily Mirror’ today. Saw the link on teletext then read it online, think it was only a matter of time before the tabloids started this kind of campaign given the recent court case’s.
I can only say it looks like there’s quite a few people gonna have some explaining to do. :astonished: :astonished: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I wonder if any of the ‘hang em & flog em - holier than thou, middle lane speed limit monitors’ have been caught in the DM’s photo exercise :question: :question:

They only seem to have published photo’s of HGV’s though, so maybe if the ‘Tabloid’s’ are doing this type of thing they should be looking at all drivers, whatever they are driving, but as usual once again HGV’s are an easy target so the drivers who do these thing’s need to think very hard about what they are doing because we should all be fully aware, by now, of the catastrophic consequences of inattention to the road, and what is going on around them, can have :frowning:

I feel sure that this is the start of something for the tabloids to pursue so for those you out there who think that using the phone, laptop, eating & drinking, reading a map, delivery notes, lines, rolling a ciggie (gonna have to stop smoking) :frowning: or anything else that might keep both of your hands off the steering wheel is not being seen, I’d watch out because it looks like you are might be front page news for the forseeable future.

mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie … -21137373/

If the link doesn’t work all you need to do is Google ‘Daily Mirror’ and it is front page news on the online version.
Regards
Dave Penn;

wonder if any of those drivers are members on here :question: :question:

But they should’nt just be targetting truck drivers though, other driver’s are not angels on the road, well unless they part of the IHTY brigade :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Why pick on just hvg men? There are far more accidents caused by car drivers on our roads! And since when have we been called hvg men?

that word “profesional” will get bounded about again no doubt…

Link works fine :smiley:

I can see why they have targetted LGV drivers as the M6 crash is still fresh in the minds of most people - typical newspaper sensationalism tactics :unamused: - but it would have been better to balance it out by showing other road users doing similar which they do very often.

The perception is that, as LGV drivers have a greater responsibility, they should behave better on the road than the norm and in general, that is true, but you will never get all of one driving sector to think and act the same.

There would have to be a ‘MIND’ test along with the LGV driving test to do that :exclamation:

ROG:

I can see why they have targetted LGV drivers as the M6 crash is still fresh in the minds of most people - typical newspaper sensationalism tactics :unamused: - but it would have been better to balance it out by showing other road users doing similar which they do very often.

The perception is that, as LGV drivers have a greater responsibility, they should behave better on the road than the norm and in general, that is true, but you will never get all of one driving sector to think and act the same.

There would have to be a ‘MIND’ test along with the LGV driving test to do that :exclamation:

you and that ruddy book :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses:

Can somebody steal it from him at the do :exclamation:

pecjam23:
you and that ruddy book :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses:

OK, BRAIN test - never thought about that book when I wrote it :laughing:

ROG:

exactly what they just said to me so i have invited the mirror to accompany me (with my firms permission) for 1 day with cameras pointing in and out of the cab to see the view which we get. wether they take the challenge is yet to be seen . POINTERS ON BEST BEHAVOUR WOULD BE GOOD LOL :blush: INCASE
i dont think it will happen but if it does i will give my truck details so you lot can be very very good if you see us :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

gezt:

ROG:

exactly what they just said to me so i have invited the mirror to accompany me (with my firms permission) for 1 day with cameras pointing in and out of the cab to see the view which we get. wether they take the challenge is yet to be seen . POINTERS ON BEST BEHAVOUR WOULD BE GOOD LOL :blush: INCASE
i dont think it will happen but if it does i will give my truck details so you lot can be very very good if you see us :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

what makes you think we arn’t very good anyway :exclamation: :question: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

tailgate, over take then pull in on your bumper with out indicating, or come steaming up behind you flashing lights at you, then under take you in the SLOW lane while reading a copy of the daily mirror or in some peoples case a copy of MIND DRIVING :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

pecjam23:

gezt:

ROG:

what makes you think we arn’t very good anyway :exclamation: :question: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

tailgate, over take then pull in on your bumper with out indicating, or come steaming up behind you flashing lights at you, then under take you in the SLOW lane while reading a copy of the daily mirror or in some peoples case a copy of MIND DRIVING :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

trying to beat rog to it but there is NO slow lane its lane 1 2 3 nothing else 2 and 3 are overtaking lanes is all. not havin a pop just wanna beat rog for once :slight_smile:

The Mirror are a bunch of ■■■■■ plain and simple, I wouldnt even wipe my arse with one of their papers

pecjam23:

gezt:

ROG:

trying to beat rog to it but there is NO slow lane its lane 1 2 3 nothing else 2 and 3 are overtaking lanes is all. not havin a pop just wanna beat rog for once :slight_smile:
[/quote]
I have a large stick I can lend you if that would help :laughing:

Probably got nothing to do with this, but I had my photo taken driving up the A1 on thursday. I couldn’t understand why, neither the truck or me are particularly photogenic. I think it was some where between Weatherby and Dishforth.
Mind the thing has spent so much time in the garage lately it would be nice to have a photo of it actually moving. :unamused: :laughing: :smiley:

The Mirror Group want to start looking a little closer to home, overloading Manchester Evening news vans, making impossible deadlines for transport ie 90 mph from Chadderton to Huddersfield, a resolute no when asked to provide straps to secure those orrible plastic pallets in the vans. Changing the spec/weight of the paper without informing transport, which in turm meant wwe were running overweight, Liverpool echo drivers now dashing down from L’pool to deliver the weekly liar round huddersfield, I BET THEY ALL STICK TO THE SPEED LIMITS.

AS FOR PUBLISHING PEEPS PHOTOS, some poor chap having a perfectly safe coffee may well find himself on the dole some of the other photos are possibly justifiable. And as for the RHA great job of defehnding our profession, useless tossers, why not invite the journo out with a truck driver for the day, could of been a publicity coup, but no sympathise with joe public so they get some brownie points.

On balance the DM should start taking photos of the tossers in their cars that play chicken with us every day, or would that be too rude an awakening to their own ignorance. :imp:

Out of curiosity, just how many staff down at Canary Wharf have points compared to their comercial drivers?

RANT OVER.

So what’s the problem?
We all do it.
They drive 100 miles per week, We drive 2000 miles per week.
We eat at the wheel because we have just driven 200 miles without food.
We talk on the phone because we are bored.
So F’ing what.

I started this thread to make everyone aware that as far as I can see they, 'The Tabloids could be on a ‘MISSION’ that is only going to target HGV/LGV vehicles and their driver’s. Now I realise that around 50% of the images shown were of foreign registered or owned vehicles but the others all appeared to be UK one’s. If they are on a mission then everything you do behind the wheel is going to be under some kind of scrutiny with photographic evidence :astonished: :open_mouth:

I don’t think this is something that anyone is going to be able to avoid because these ‘journos’ have the technology to reproduce very clear images and don’t appear to have any restrictions on them regarding showing Company name’s or vehicle registrations.

We should all be aquainted with the way that the ‘tabloids’ operate and any photograph taken by them will only be the one’s that show the biggest transgressions.
If this stops HGV/LGV drivers from doing any of the things that have already been shown as ‘Front Page News’ then it might have been a useful article for them to run but the whole driving population needs to be looked at and photographed. Maybe it might be a good idea, now that the DM have highlighted this dangerous behaviour, that all of us look out for any other user of the hightway ranging from Pedestrians, Cyclist’s, Mobilility Scooter Users, School Run Mum’s/Dad’'s (that’s me) Taxi’s/Mini Cab’s, in fact anyone we feel is not paying 100% concentration on the road ahead and make sure that the ‘DM’ receives a very good copy of it with an appropriate written explanation of the circumstances.

I’m going to be using the M62/M60/, West bound and later in he day East bound tomorrow, so will be trying to photograph some people performing these antics so really hope there are more ordinary motorist’s at it rather than drivers of HGV’s/LGV’s.
Regards
Dave Penn;

PS Gezt - It would be very interesting if they took you up on your offer :astonished: :open_mouth: but I’ve got a feeling it won’t show them want they want to see :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
Anyway good on yer mate lets see if they arrange anything with you.
Dave Penn;

Just because the article said the pictures were taken when they were, doesn’t mean thats actually the case.

In at least three of the pictures the driver could have been stationary. As for the one showing a driver having a slurp on his coffee…I would imagine most drivers have had a drink in their hand whilst driving at some point in their life.

Todays news…tomorrows recycling…(it used to be tomorrows chip wrapper but H&S put a stop to that )
:smiley: :smiley:

davepenn54:
I’m going to be using the M62/M60/, West bound and later in he day East bound tomorrow, so will be trying to photograph some people performing these antics so really hope there are more ordinary motorist’s at it rather than drivers of HGV’s/LGV’s.
Regards
Dave Penn;

So while driving up and down the M62M60 you are going to be pointing a camera out of the window instead of concentrating on the road■■? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

kalm2kaos:
Todays news…tomorrows recycling…(it used to be tomorrows chip wrapper but H&S put a stop to that )
:smiley: :smiley:

If only… but I fear that whilst the paper may be mulch by tomorrow morning, the crap that was printed on it will stick in people’s heads for some time to come!

And of course the journo’s who wrote this are perfect drivers and would never ever ever do anything like this.

Stan