Daily driving times

Can some very kind fellow truck driver fill in the answer to the following question? On the subject of daily driving, for your first stint you would do say 4 hrs 23 minutes. Follow this with your Legal break of either 30 or 45 minutes. You again resume driving and again manage your 4 hrs, but this time only 20 minutes used. Let us say that you still have the use of a “ten” stint for the day.

MY QUESTION is this: can you add to your tenth hour the minutes you have not used from the two periods earlier in the day?

say: 60 minutes + 7 minutes + 10 minutes = 77 minutes.

As this is within your total allocated 10 hours of driving can the last hour be increased as above?

Work and drive whatever hours you want because if you ever get pulled just tell the official people that your medication is about to kick in so stand clear :unamused:

Yes you can roll those unused minutes over.

you can drive upto 4.30 in first stint then you must take 45 mins or during your 1st 4.30 a 15min then 30min at end then you have 4.30 after that if you want to do a ten you must take another 45

if you drive 4.23 take 45 then drive 1.30 then do other work for say 2hrs you can still drive 3hrs then take 45 and drive another 1hr but you can only do 2 tens in any one week and no more than a total time on duty of 15hrs.(you lose the 7mins)

Also working time states you must must show 30min break after a 6 hour period so if you drive 2 hrs do other work for 3hrs then drive 1hr you must take a 30min break

Also if you work over 13hrs in one day it is classed as a reduced daily rest even if you have say 12hrs off and you can only do this 3 times in any week

Hope this helps but if you are a HGV driver you should know it. I suspect you are driving 7.5t and passed your test before 1996

Mala99:
you can drive upto 4.30 in first stint then you must take 45 mins or during your 1st 4.30 a 15min then 30min at end then you have 4.30 after that if you want to do a ten you must take another 45

if you drive 4.23 take 45 then drive 1.30 then do other work for say 2hrs you can still drive 3hrs then take 45 and drive another 1hr but you can only do 3 tens in any one week and no more than a total time on duty of 15hrs.(you lose the 7mins)

Also working time states you must must show 30min break in any 6 hour period so if you drive 2 hrs do other work for 3hrs then drive 1hr you must take a 30min break

Also if you work over 13hrs in one day it is classed as a reduced daily rest even if you have say 12hrs off and you can only do this 3 times in any week

Hope this helps but if you are a HGV driver you should know it. I suspect you are driving 7.5t and passed your test before 1996

I think you’ll find its 2 tens !

toowise:

But if he’s an HGV driver he should know that, surely?! :laughing:

Mala99:
(you lose the 7mins)

No you don’t, in your example you would be able to drive 1hr 7 mins after your second 45 min break

Don’t take this the wrong way but you need to do some reading up on these rules (unless you’re just not very good at putting your point across). It’s your first paragraph I’m referring to;

BEFORE you’ve reached 4hrs 30mins driving time you must have either a 45 min break or at least 15mins and then at least 30mins (both breaks before you reach 4.5hrs driving). That’s “driver’s hours”.

Within 6hrs of work (driving and anything else, put simply), you must have a break of at least 30mins. That applies, for example, if you drive somewhere then spend most of the day loading or unloading. That’s the working time directive, I suspect (from your original post) you may have the two confused.

What’s been said about the driving time is true, you can drive for either 9 or 10 hours in total no matter how it’s spread during the day BUT be careful not to go over 15hrs from the start of your shift to the end as that causes a different problem regarding your DAILY rest (after you finish for the day, put simply). Sorry if I’m teaching egg sucking here, hope it helps.

Mala99:
Also working time states you must must show 30min break in any 6 hour period so if you drive 2 hrs do other work for 3hrs then drive 1hr you must take a 30min break

darkseeker:
Within 6hrs of work (driving and anything else, put simply), you must have a break of at least 30mins

15 minutes, it’s 15 minutes and thrice times more it’s 15 minutes for the 6 hour rule :wink:

You should not exceed 6 hours working time without a break of at least 15 minutes :smiley: :wink:

lightning:
Can some very kind fellow truck driver fill in the answer to the following question? On the subject of daily driving, for your first stint you would do say 4 hrs 23 minutes. Follow this with your Legal break of either 30 or 45 minutes. You again resume driving and again manage your 4 hrs, but this time only 20 minutes used. Let us say that you still have the use of a “ten” stint for the day.

MY QUESTION is this: can you add to your tenth hour the minutes you have not used from the two periods earlier in the day?

say: 60 minutes + 7 minutes + 10 minutes = 77 minutes.

As this is within your total allocated 10 hours of driving can the last hour be increased as above?

As has already been said you should not exceed 4 1/2 hours driving time before having a break of at least 45 minutes, this break can be split into two parts the first of which must be at least 15 minutes and the second part no less than 30 minutes.

In any day you can drive for a maximum of 9 hours but this can be extended to 10 hours twice in a fixed week (Monday to Sunday).

The 9/10 hours is the amount of ■■■■■■■■■ driving time during the working day so the answer to your question is that if you drive for 4 hours and 23 minutes then have a 45 minute break, then you drive for another 4 hours before having another 45 minute break you can still do another 37 minutes driving or 1 hour and 37 minutes on a 10 hour driving day.

toowise:

Mala99:

if you drive 4.23 take 45 then drive 1.30 then do other work for say 2hrs you can still drive 3hrs then take 45 and drive another 1hr but you can only do 3 tens in any one week and no more than a total time on duty of 15hrs.(you lose the 7mins)

Yes you are right i stand corrected we all make mistakes

Cheers guys. Just for the record I was aware of the amounts and break times. It was just the rollover I was unsure about. Thanks.

Mala99:
Also working time states you must must show 15min break in any 6 hour period so if you drive 2 hrs do other work for 3hrs then drive 1hr you must take a 15min break

darkseeker:
Don’t take this the wrong way but you need to do some reading up on these rules (unless you’re just not very good at putting your point across). It’s your first paragraph I’m referring to;

BEFORE you’ve reached 4hrs 30mins driving time you must have either a 45 min break or at least 15mins and then at least 30mins (both breaks before you reach 4.5hrs driving). That’s “driver’s hours”.

Within 6hrs of work (driving and anything else, put simply), you must have a break of at least 15mins. That applies, for example, if you drive somewhere then spend most of the day loading or unloading. That’s the working time directive, I suspect (from your original post) you may have the two confused

Fixed that for you both. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

The WTD Regulations do not state anywhere that you must have 30 minutes before exceeding 6 hours work.

Coffeeholic:

Mala99:
Also working time states you must must show 15min break in any 6 hour period so if you drive 2 hrs do other work for 3hrs then drive 1hr you must take a 15min break

darkseeker:

Within 6hrs of work (driving and anything else, put simply), you must have a break of at least 15mins. That applies, for example, if you drive somewhere then spend most of the day loading or unloading. That’s the working time directive, I suspect (from your original post) you may have the two confused

The WTD Regulations do not state anywhere that you must have 30 minutes before exceeding 6 hours work.

But…(2) Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds six hours but does not exceed nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 30 minutes and interrupting that time. :confused:

Dunno then?:

Coffeeholic:

Mala99:

darkseeker:

But…(2) Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds six hours but does not exceed nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 30 minutes and interrupting that time. :confused:

Yes, exactly. Doesn’t say anything about the 30 minutes being at the 6 hour work point does it?

You are making the common mistake of reading that in isolation and not reading it with Section 7(4), which is important. There are five parts to Section 7, which covers breaks, four of which apply to drivers, and they all need to be read and the relevant ones applied to the situation.

Coffeeholic:

Mala99:

darkseeker:

Rules on Drivers’ Hours
and Tachographs
Goods vehicles in the UK and Europe (Revised 2009 GV262 — 02)
PAGE 43 ANNEX2 states as follows:-

• Breaks:
    — Mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.
    — If your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by

a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes.

— If your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break

or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes.

— Breaks should be of at least 15 minutes’ duration.

if you look at my quote as it was i showed 2hr drive 3hrs other work 1hr drive hence before anymore work or driving 30min break must be taken

Mala99:
Rules on Drivers’ Hours
and Tachographs

• Breaks:
    — Mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.
    — If your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by

— If your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break

Nothing there which states the 30 minutes must all be taken at the 6 hour work point is there?

It’s no good just copying and pasting the relevant bit from the regulations, you need to read it and understand it as well.

Mala99:
if you look at my quote as it was i showed 2hr drive 3hrs other work 1hr drive hence before anymore work or driving 30min break must be taken

No, 6 hours work has been done so a WTD break will be required before starting anymore work and that doesn’t need to be 30 minutes, 15 will do.

Only 3 hours driving has been done so no breaks are required for the Tacho rules at that point.

Mala99:
— WTD Breaks should be of at least 15 minutes’ duration.

Correct

Driving breaks at or before 4.30 should be 45 minutes, splittable (sp) into 15 and 30 minutes in that order only

Where to start with this lot…

Mala99:
(you lose the 7mins)

No you don’t. You get either 9h or 10h driving in the day (depending on if you have one of your 10h drives left or not) and you can split that up into as many segments as you like seperated by 45min breaks as long as none of the segments are over 4h30min. Every time you take a 45 (or a 15+30 if you want to split it up) the clock for that segment resets back to zero. So you can do 3h, take a 45, another 3h, take a 45 and then 4h to make your 10h day. You never “lose” driving time at any point in any day by taking your break “early”.

Mala99:
Also working time states you must must show 30min break after a 6 hour period so if you drive 2 hrs do other work for 3hrs then drive 1hr you must take a 30min break

No it doesn’t. As others have already pointed out you only need to take 15min after 6h of working as long as you have 30min in total during the shift.

Mala99:

No, you can only do it three times between weekly rest periods, not per week.

Mala99:

People in glass houses and all that…

Paul

Coffeeholic:

Mala99:
Rules on Drivers’ Hours
and Tachographs

• Breaks:

Nothing there which states the 30 minutes must all be taken at the 6 hour work point is there?

It’s no good just copying and pasting the relevant bit from the regulations, you need to read it and understand it as well.

yes i see that now i could do 6hrs then 15min break but would have to have another 15min before 9hrs are up
Its just i keep getting tacho fault sheets to sign at work for not taking 30mins after 6hrs i will argue this at work now