10 Hour Drive..

Assuming I’m correct in that you are required to take a break, (45 mins ?) before commencing the last 1 hour drive, do we have a link to where it officially states this ?

All I can find is that you can do this twice a week but nothing about a break…

Little wager with the gaffer :wink:

yes but you could do other ways of get to 10 hour but it will still require 2 45 minsute breaks

alix776:
yes but you could do other ways of get to 10 hour but it will still require 2 45 minsute breaks

Ah ! please do tell…

He claims if I do a 1 hour rest at anytime, above and beyond the 2 45’s, then it’s legal to drive the 10 hours ?

Hi Steve,

The limitation is that you can only drive for 4.5 hours before you have to break, so as long as you do not exceed that at any point then you can do it anyway you want ::::

Either:

a)
4.5 Drive / 45 Break / 4.5 Drive / 45 Break / 1 Drive

Is your typical example that you are given, but it may well be more like:

b)
4 Drive / 45 Break / 3 Drive / 45 Break / 3 Drive

Obviously you can split the breaks down like normal as well… But you can never exceed 4.5 hours driving without taking a break as a matter of course.

G

Gazzareth:
b)

G

Dam, hate loosing a bet :cry:

But thanks Gaz that’s cleared it up…

STEVE _24V TRY useing this site as it is the one which enforces the drivers rules and therefore you are getting the correct and offical version.

.- http://www.vosa.gov.uk

click on the left hand side where it say HGV and PSV drivers THIS WILL GVE YOU then the side where you can see drivers hours click on this and read away, This site should help you out .

Gazzareth:

G

btw, does the hour guard recognise this ?

I try and fit as much “break time” in as possible and I’m pretty sure I get bleeped on the 9 hours irrespective of the breaks I’ve had…

And while I’m on the subject of hour guards how do folks use it with all the stops and starts ?

I used to be a little lacks, on drive until I actually turn engine off, and I found I clocked up rather more drive time than I really did compared with the card. While the discrepancy might only be 5 or 10 minutes this can make a big difference when working for a hard taskmaster, and could be in the region of half hour or more depending on the day…

I now try and switch modes more often, not to the extent where I put it on “other work” while waiting at traffic lights but I’m sure you get my drift, but the card does only register “drive” when the wheels are in motion doesn’t it ?

I really need to max my drive time and recon I could often do a few minutes more then the guard would like…

Pete,

Could you post the exact link please ? I did look there first but found nothing referring to breaks over the 10 hours, just that the limit was two over a week.

The hourguard does recognise the two 10 hour drives and 3 reduced rests.

Mine bleeps at 8.30 hours and if it goes over 9.01 the segments are extinguished.

Davey D will no doubt be here soon to put it into better words than that

Malc,

I know the guard clocks down the 10 hours it’s the bleeping before the 9 that gets me.

It’s like it’s saying you should be taking a break before the last hour, whereas referring to what’s been said I’ve taken more than enough breaks ?

I did over 9 hours the other day and the Hours Guard seemed to not like it - since after my last 45 it gave me a “break before” time that would have put me in deep trouble with VOSA - but I just kept an eye on the Drive time instead !!!

G

steve_24v:
Malc,

I know the guard clocks down the 10 hours it’s the bleeping before the 9 that gets me.

It’s like it’s saying you should be taking a break before the last hour, whereas referring to what’s been said I’ve taken more than enough breaks ?

Yep it beeps but just to advise you are going into your tenth hour, should beep for it at 8and half hrs

it would be good judgement on your part if you was to park up dead on your 4 1/2 so if you stop at say 4.23 ,then your hour gaurd will remind you of you second break at 8.23 /8.38 /8.42 /8.47 then 8.53 when your second 4 1/2 is up. never driven up to the full 10 hours so don’t know what happens after that

jon

David5l:

steve_24v:
Malc,

Yep it beeps but just to advise you are going into your tenth hour, should beep for it at 8and half hrs

But why should it, the bleep is a warning of impending doom and I’d expect it not to go off unless you have no 10’s left. Hence I’d always thought I shouldn’t be doing whatever cause it bleeping me…

Oh well another lesson learned :unamused:

steve, maybe you could ask here: http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=aa6d820d2e488f57529bbda388a83174

steve_24 ,try this out ,it takes you directly to the divers hours post on the vosa site,

vosa.gov.uk/vosa/hgvpsvdrive … shours.htm

just click on the sentences in the middle and you will get your questions answered from the people who make the rules,

steve_24v:

David5l:

steve_24v:
Malc,

But why should it, the bleep is a warning of impending doom and I’d expect it not to go off unless you have no 10’s left. Hence I’d always thought I shouldn’t be doing whatever cause it bleeping me…

Oh well another lesson learned :unamused:

Well the reason I use the beeping is to advise me i am getting close to a 9, and then making the decision to carry on. If you drive 9 hours and 02 minutes you have still wasted a 10. You could need that 10 later in the week to get home or to get tipped

Steve I think you are looking at your break the wrong way round, it’s not the amount of breaks it’s the amount of hours you drive.

You must have a total of 45 minutes break within a 4.5 hour driving period. This can be in anything over 15 minute sections. Sorry if I’m treaching you to ■■■■ eggs here :smiley:
So you could have 1x45, 3x15, 15+30, 25+20. You could even have an hour or 2, but once you’ve had these breaks you start a new driving period, regardless of how many hours you’ve driven before. And even if you’ve had more then a 45 you can’t carry any extra break to the next driving period.
I always think that trying to get your 4.5 hours driving before finishing your break is a bit of a dodgy game and tend to complete my break long before my driving time is up. Obviously if you are doing a 9 hour drive it means you need another 45 before your times up but that’s life and the rules we work by. :wink: