Advice on increasing to 10th hour

Hi,

Im looking for advice on when increasing to your 10th hour driving.

Maybe i misheard or didnt quite understand properly, but what i thought i was told on my cpc is that on your 10th hour you can only drive for 1 hour, regardless say if you havent used up your full previous 9 hours. If by the end of second 4.5 hours driving i do a printout and im on something like 8 hours 49, do i lose them 11 minutes or can they be add onto the last hour to make up a full 10.

You can use the full 10 hour drive providing you have enough time left in your shift to do it.

As far as I’m aware that’s complete ■■■■■■■■.

You can do 2 hour drive, 45 rest, then 3.5 hours driving, 45 rest, then a solid 4.5 hours.

If ROG wants to tell me I’m wrong on that then I’ll stand corrected but I’ve done well over an hour on my last stint in a 10 hour drive before and not had any infringement flagged up.

Rowley010:
As far as I’m aware that’s complete ■■■■■■■■.

You can do 2 hour drive, 45 rest, then 3.5 hours driving, 45 rest, then a solid 4.5 hours.

If ROG wants to tell me I’m wrong on that then I’ll stand corrected but I’ve done well over an hour on my last stint in a 10 hour drive before and not had any infringement flagged up.

Correct

Another simple legal example
drive 3.5
break 45
drive 3.5
break 45
drive 3.0

Some driver cpc trainers are for want of a better word … CRAP

On an extended driving shift you can drive for 10 hours regardless of when you have your breaks.

On any day the daily driving time of 9 or 10 hours remains the same regardless of how many break you have or when you have them, you never lose any part of the daily driving time because you’ve had a break.

For instance:
Drive = 3.5 hours
Break = 45 minutes
Drive = 3.5 hours
Break = 45 minutes
Drive 3 hours

That’s legal and there are no printouts required.

They/you might have confused the situation of 4.5 driving/45 minutes break then you’ll need to have another break at the next 4.5 hour driving point before adding the extra/final hour driving.IE you can’t do 10 hour’s driving with 45 minutes break. :bulb:

tachograph:
On an extended driving shift you can drive for 10 hours regardless of when you have your breaks.

On any day the daily driving time of 9 or 10 hours remains the same regardless of how many break you have or when you have them, you never lose any part of the daily driving time because you’ve had a break.

For instance:
Drive = 3.5 hours
Break = 45 minutes
Drive = 3.5 hours
Break = 45 minutes
Drive 3 hours

That’s legal and there are no printouts required.

SNAP :smiley: = viewtopic.php?f=2&t=143967&p=2271810#p2271810

ROG:
SNAP :smiley: = viewtopic.php?f=2&t=143967&p=2271810#p2271810

:smiley: :smiley:

OK thanks, I’ll merge the 2 threads.

Thankyou for all of your help on clearing that up for me! :smiley: :smiley:

I quite often do:

4 h 25min
45 min
4 h 25 min
45 min
1 h.

I usually have a pi$$ break halfway through my 4 h 25, if I think I’m going to need that extra hour I make it a 16 minute break in that second spell so then I only have to stop for 31 minutes to keep legal.

Has the questioner miss understood?. Does he/she realise that driving/ shift and rest must be fitted into the 24hr period?.

i have been amazed how many drivers and office staff think you have to stick rigidly to 4.5 4.5 maybe the extra hour as the only way, it takes ages to get them to relax and drive the way it benefits not only the driver but also the company, I did a lot of double manning, some times Cherbourg to Ventimiglia the long way around no mont or frejus, and what suited us was two times 3 to 3 1/2 hour drives, then a full 45 at a standstill, and so on, no one gets tired , the run is completed well within the max hours, only last month someone said that their local skip driver did not need a break as he could not do 4.5 hours driving in the day, and had no idea what the working time hours were,

Just highlights how badly drivers hours are explained, even more so now that the CPC has been brought in.

Always little charts showing 4.5 driving, 45 min break, 4.5 driving, 45 min break, 1 hour driving and rarely anything showing splitting the driving and breaks to something like 2 hours driving, 15 min break, 2 hours driving, 30 minute break, 3 hours driving, 45 minute break, 3 hours driving

And of course there are clearly some firms that pressure drivers by saying no break before they’ve hit that 4.5 hours meaning that they run the gauntlet of trying to find somewhere to stop to the minute. This pick up has to be made, that drop has to be done by whatever time. And then its pick up an infringement and into a disciplinary, more pressure for the naughty boys.

Only place I’ve worked where timed drops were introduced had me wind them right up, did some runs all early, others all late, changed the order as I saw fit (or on a whim), always did them all though and never had a complaint returned to the company, might have had a ‘you’re early/ late’ comment every now and again though, always stayed polite, offered to clear off and come back later if they preferred, none ever took me up on the offer.

Always keep a 10 hour in hand throughout the working week. If you’ve done them both by day three of your week, you’ll end up being busted for serious Tacho fraud, since you can bet that a transport office daft enough to “use you up that quickly” - won’t think anything of “planning you to break the law later that same week”.

I wonder if there is any kind of agency shortage as yet? - That is, agencies that only have clients who like to plan for 15 hour shifts, but now cannot get the staff to do such shifts anymore…?

Let’s see what changes as Wincanton steps down from Tesco…

hotel magnum:
i have been amazed how many drivers and office staff think you have to stick rigidly to 4.5 4.5 maybe the extra hour as the only way, it takes ages to get them to relax and drive the way it benefits not only the driver but also the company, I did a lot of double manning, some times Cherbourg to Ventimiglia the long way around no mont or frejus, and what suited us was two times 3 to 3 1/2 hour drives, then a full 45 at a standstill, and so on, no one gets tired , the run is completed well within the max hours, only last month someone said that their local skip driver did not need a break as he could not do 4.5 hours driving in the day, and had no idea what the working time hours were,

I think double manning driving depends…

On the team itself. Most drivers I’ve worked with were happy to do 4 hours each. Then you get the team who always pushed every single minute out of it. That ended in tears in France when they had to swap on a slip road at 4.5 hours driving exactly, that cost them 800 euros. Such an avoidable situation.

I’m curious, Cherbourg to the Vent via Paris/Lyon/Cannes is 820 miles but via Paris/Lyon/Frejus/Turin it’s 853 miles. Admittedly I haven’t been over there for some years but that seems the longer way. I took the distances from the AA route planner.

If I thought I was in for a long day, I always tried to get 45 in as early as I could; maybe a 15 after an hour and a 30 soon after. That meant that I could take a late lunch with a full 45 and still have whatever was left of the ten to run home. This avoided the pain of stopping an hour from base and twiddling my thumbs for 45 minutes.

i am fortunate in that i can drive for 4hrs have 1 hour break…drive 4 hrs have one hr break…drive for 2hrs or 1 hr depending on how i feel or how many 10s ive done.