10 hour day (driving hours)

Hi guys

I done 9hr 50 mins driving today. Does that mean I have to take 11 hours rest or can it be reduced to 9 hours. Also can you do two 10 hour days in a row.

Thanks in advance

Keith

Yes you can do two 10 hour days in a row basicly, wot is you’re spread over■■? under 13 11 off, over 13 9 off. :smiley:

keithb988:
Hi guys

I done 9hr 50 mins driving today. Does that mean I have to take 11 hours rest or can it be reduced to 9 hours. Also can you do two 10 hour days in a row.

Thanks in advance

Keith

You can do a 10 hour drive and a reduced daily rest period in the same 24 hour period, so yes you can have to have a 9 hour daily rest period if you like.

You can also do two consecutive 10 hour drive days, so If you have another 10 hour drive and reduced daily rest period available you can do it all again tomorrow if you want :wink:

Did there used to be a rule were 11 needed to be taken after going into a 10 ? Someone asked me this question at work yesterday

No offence intended to the o/p but this is really basic stuff your asking about,what would you do if Vosa told you 2 x consecutive 10hrs were illegal, just bend over and take the fine? I know that probably wouldnt happen but i fail to see how someone actively using a HGV license can fail to know the basics of their job

keithb988:
Hi guys

Thanks in advance

Keith

Could I ask how long you’ve been driving HGV’s/had your licence ?

Smoggie89:
Did there used to be a rule were 11 needed to be taken after going into a 10 ? Someone asked me this question at work yesterday

Not in the last 20 years that i know of.

Snowgo:

Smoggie89:

Not in the last 20 years that i know of.

I’ve heard an “old timer” at our place mention this before so thought it was an old rule lol

I beat the o/p by 3 mins today. 9hrs 53 mins. Queensferry into E’boro city centre, then north to Arbroath, then last drop in Keswick before back home to Stockport.

You sound like you want to take 9 off and do another 10 driving tomorrow, I hope your being well paid for it.

If something cannot be done or must be done then there will be a written rule stating so

This is why its so important to have access to the rules

sometimes they way in which they are written leaves a lot to be desired but that’s because they have to cover the legalese aspect
Its also why many ask for an explanation in plain language on sites like this with perhaps an example or two to go along with that explanation

Why don’t drivers download the GV 262.freely available from the VOSA (or whoever they are now) website… All the answers are in there :slight_smile: