Driving times

Hi, I’m sure it’s been covered before but I’ll ask again!!
With regards to breaks, once a 45 break has been covered and the ‘slate had been wiped clean’ will that reduce my daily driving time?
Eg drive 4 hours then had a 45 abother 4 hours then a 45 totalling 8 hours of driving, would I be able to drive another 2 hours to total my 10 hours a day? Or would that be it for the day?
Sorry if this sounds confusing, any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

You can drive 9 hrs total in a day (shift ) you need to have a break of total 45 min before you EXCEED 4.5hrs driving
The total drive is 9 hrs you dont loose any driving time by taking a 45min break it just resets the 4.5 hr driving time so Yes
Drive 3hrs take a 45 min break resets the 4.5 drive time available .
drive a further 3.5 hrs take a 45 min break resets your remaining available driving time

ie 3+3.5 = 6.5 … this now leaves you an available drive of 2.5hr if you only have a 9 hr driving duty . if in the example youwere to have n available 10hr drive you would have 3,5 hrs remaining

REMEMBER as soon as you EXCEED 9hrs driving all of that driving will count as one of your 2 available 10hr drives for that week.

I remember when I was on agency I was out on a run with a drivers mate and we had two 45 min breaks because we had to take the first one earlier then we would have liked, anyway we were about an hour away from base and the bloke said we should just make it back within the hour but it’s going to be tight I said what the hell you on about we have over 3 hrs of driving left. He was adamant we only had an hour as it’s shown like that on a drivers hours poster in the mess room, ■■■■ agency muppet !!

bald bloke:
I remember when I was on agency I was out on a run with a drivers mate and we had two 45 min breaks because we had to take the first one earlier then we would have liked, anyway we were about an hour away from base and the bloke said we should just make it back within the hour but it’s going to be tight I said what the hell you on about we have over 3 hrs of driving left. He was adamant we only had an hour as it’s shown like that on a drivers hours poster in the mess room, ■■■■ agency muppet !!

just shows why there’s a need for basic tacho use and regulations need to be taught and tested.

nick2008:

bald bloke:
I remember when I was on agency I was out on a run with a drivers mate …He was adamant we only had an hour as it’s shown like that on a drivers hours poster in the mess room, ■■■■ agency muppet !!

just shows why there’s a need for basic tacho use and regulations need to be taught and tested.

He was the drivers mate, what would he know about driving regs :question:

Héraultais:

nick2008:

bald bloke:
I remember when I was on agency I was out on a run with a drivers mate …He was adamant we only had an hour as it’s shown like that on a drivers hours poster in the mess room, ■■■■ agency muppet !!

About as much as some on here that know all about nothing :wink:

Héraultais:

nick2008:

bald bloke:

He was also an hgv driver but couldn’t or wouldn’t drive a W & D.

nick2008:
You can drive 9 hrs total in a day (shift ) you need to have a break of total 45 min before you EXCEED 4.5hrs driving
The total drive is 9 hrs you dont loose any driving time by taking a 45min break it just resets the 4.5 hr driving time so Yes
Drive 3hrs take a 45 min break resets the 4.5 drive time available .
drive a further 3.5 hrs take a 45 min break resets your remaining available driving time

ie 3+3.5 = 6.5 … this now leaves you an available drive of 2.5hr if you only have a 9 hr driving duty . if in the example youwere to have n available 10hr drive you would have 3,5 hrs remaining

REMEMBER as soon as you EXCEED 9hrs driving all of that driving will count as one of your 2 available 10hr drives for that week.

Exactly as I thought but another driver told me that we lose the remainder which I thought was rubbish, thanks :slight_smile: