DAFt Question

I had to move a DAF rigid today. It was a '04 plate 365 / 75 IIRC, with an 8 speed spliter box on it. However along with the splitter switch on the side of the gear stick, there was also another switch on the front of the gear stick. Any idea;s what this was for ? I heard a click & a hiss of air when I operated the switch, but it gave no clue as to what it did… :confused:

4 low flip switch 4 high gives 8 :smiley:

that would be the ZF 16 speed transmission then :wink:

it is a 4 over 4 range change (front switch) and a splitter (side switch)

Also known as a ‘range change’ :wink:

Edit: just beat me to it,SS :slight_smile:

pigpen:
4 low flip switch 4 high gives 8 :smiley:

op says there was 2 switches,i thought one switch done the split :confused:
i`ve only ever drove a splitter on my class 2 test and for a week or
so about six months after passing…so im no expert :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

EDIT… I think 3 of us were typing at same time lol :blush: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

shuttlespanker:
that would be the ZF 16 speed transmission then :wink:

it is a 4 over 4 range change (front switch) and a splitter (side switch)

Sounds a right pain in the Harris. Luckyly I only had to move it a few yards, & found a fwd gear & reverse gear. :smiley:

it is a piece of ■■■■ to use

the switch on the side (splitter) is not really needed unless fully freighted, it splits each gear to give 2 gears

the switch on the front (range change) is the one that is needed, start in either 2nd or 3rd gear(switch in lower position), then 4th, then flick the switch up, and go for 5th (same as 1st)

imagine it as a standard H box

H

H

you only need to use the front switch when changing between low and high range

That’s the opposite of 2 Foden Alphas we’ve got; Range on the side, splitter on the front-pointless on 6 wheelers when a one switch range/splitter does the job far better and easier.

shuttlespanker:
it is a piece of ■■■■ to use

the switch on the side (splitter) is not really needed unless fully freighted, it splits each gear to give 2 gears

the switch on the front (range change) is the one that is needed, start in either 2nd or 3rd gear(switch in lower position), then 4th, then flick the switch up, and go for 5th (same as 1st)

imagine it as a standard H box

H

H

you only need to use the front switch when changing between low and high range

Nice gear box, and easy to use. I only use the split in 7 and 8, and not at all when emplty

Muckaway:
That’s the opposite of 2 Foden Alphas we’ve got; Range on the side, splitter on the front-pointless on 6 wheelers when a one switch range/splitter does the job far better and easier.

if the range change and splitter are the wrong way round, have they had new gear stick tops fitted?

sounds like the pipes have been put in the wrong way round :wink:

one of mine developed a fault and lost the range change high range, so i went out to the driver, took the head off the gearstick and swapped the pipes on the range change and the splitter over, now he got both ranges, but no splitter

new gear stick head will be fitted in the morning :wink:

Hiya …bet you,d have woundered why the gearstick went clunk bang going from side to side in neutral.