gears

Ok, Got time on my hands, so thought id ask.

Been looking at lorry pics, and some daf lorrys have a switch on the side of the gear stick? Whats that, and hows it work? there was a post on here with different gears and pics, but i cant find it any where. :frowning: :unamused:

Robin_A:
there was a post on here with different gears and pics, but i cant find it any where. :frowning: :unamused:

Click the link in my signature below :smiley:

Robin_A:
Ok, Got time on my hands, so thought id ask.

Been looking at lorry pics, and some daf lorrys have a switch on the side of the gear stick? Whats that, and hows it work? there was a post on here with different gears and pics, but i cant find it any where. :frowning: :unamused:

The switch could be either a splitter or a range change, or both

If the switch is at the front of the gear stick its likely to be a range change. YOU could visualise a racing bike with 5 gears on the rear wheel then buy a double chain wheel and presto you have a 10 speed.When the switch is in the up position you are using the large chain ring,you start off with the switch down and progress up the gears.

mascus.co.uk/Transportation/ … F77DB.html

The gear button on that,

seems silly, id have thought it be more easy on a slap over.

Robin_A:
http://www.mascus.co.uk/Transportation/Used-Tipper-trucks/DAF/85+CF+410/images/FDE2E8AC-477F-46F5-884A-468AF1EF77DB.html

The gear button on that,

seems silly, id have thought it be more easy on a slap over.

Hi Robin_A, I’m not sure whether you realise this, but the slapover is just a method of operating a range-change.
The switch on the front of the gearstick in the pics is also a range change.
The switch and the slapover do exactly the same thing.

The switch on the side of the gearstick in the pics is a splitter switch.
It’s possible to have a slapover-type of range-change, but still with a splitter switch and you’ll still have 16 gears. :smiley:

ah,

no i never knew.

just seems more easy to me, to have 4 then slap over to 4, rather than gears on top of each other and having to remeber where you so much ?

Robin_A:
ah,

no i never knew.

just seems more easy to me, to have 4 then slap over to 4, rather than gears on top of each other and having to remeber where you so much ?

Hi Robin_A, Actually, both methods are just as easy, because both do exactly the same thing. :smiley:

:bulb: You can tell which ‘half’ of the gearbox you’re using by the road-speed of the vehicle, then the position of the gearstick within the ‘H’ will tell you which gear you’re using. Eg. 1st or 5th, 4th or 8th.

Using a range-change (no matter which type,) how much of a chance would there be for somebody to confuse 3rd for 7th or 2nd for 6th etc. ■■

The fact that there’s two different methods for achieving exactly the same thing is what throws most people. :wink:

Non-technical explanation:
Once folks realise that some bits and pieces need to be moved about inside the gearbox to give 8 gears, the manner of how they’re moved about (slapover 4+4 or switched 4+4) becomes irrelevant, cos 4+4 = 8. :smiley:

If you click the link in ROG’s signature, you’ll be magically taken to a picture post in which some old guy is raving on about such gearboxes. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :grimacing:

true,

it just looks more easy to work the gears, without a button to press, as thats just one more thing to do, when i learnt in the slap over, it was just like normal gears, never really knew you had gone into high, if that makes sense.

but with a button, you have to think, press now, go from 4th to what is now 5th, then coming down 5th, press button to 4th, more things to think about lol.

reason i ask is, theres jobs with a tipper company, and they all run daf, and i think the h gear box way is common on daf’s.?

Robin_A:
true,

it just looks more easy to work the gears, without a button to press, as thats just one more thing to do, when i learnt in the slap over, it was just like normal gears, never really knew you had gone into high, if that makes sense.

but with a button, you have to think, press now, go from 4th to what is now 5th, then coming down 5th, press button to 4th, more things to think about lol.

reason i ask is, theres jobs with a tipper company, and they all run daf, and i think the h gear box way is common on daf’s.?

It will fall into place quite quickly. many heavies have a 16 speed synchromesh box using the slap over / double H or button range change, they usually have the splitter button on the stick too. A day in one will have you fairly comfortable. Some have a lamp to tell you which range you are in or if you are in hi or lo

Ive just started on a daf artic, this has the range change on the front and the splitter on the side, within an hour of urban driving you are like youve been doin it for years.

wood73:
Ive just started on a daf artic, this has the range change on the front and the splitter on the side, within an hour of urban driving you are like youve been doin it for years.

Until you jump into a 3 over 3 box and try to put it into 5th, which isn’t there, it’s down one :smiley:

C-Kay:
a 3 over 3 box and try to put it into 5th

Or keep trying to get it into the 4th slot in low range like the person writing this kept trying to do for the first 15 minutes :blush: :blush: :open_mouth:

ROG:

C-Kay:
a 3 over 3 box and try to put it into 5th

Or keep trying to get it into the 4th slot in low range like the person writing this kept trying to do for the first 15 minutes :blush: :blush: :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing:

the one I’m dreading if I ever come to drive one is an eaton twin splitter, I’ve seen them and heard about them but have no idea how to use them!