Currie european.......£8.50p/h

And £9.50 an hour for nights!

Scribe:
Where I’m from (South Wales) that’s about the going rate. TD Williams are advertising for class 1 drivers on Indeed and their overtime rate is £8.50.

Little wonder lots of Welsh boys are heading over the bridge to ply their trade in Bristol/Avonmouth. Sad times in South Wales.

Some things never change, picked up an ex Willams lad on the M4 some 25 years ago hitching a lift, he told me what his pay had been there, bloody shocking wage and he’d gone driving a hay/straw carrier for a better rate.

If May’s promise of lifting the Severn Tolls comes to pass…don’t hold your breath lads she’s done bugger all promised so far since becoming the worse Home Secretary in history, and now one of the worse PM’s despite the serious competition for that title :unamused: …then that can only be a good thing for wages, as lads nearer the border find it worth commuting and poor payers run out of bodies.

They keep on taking the jobs though J, like lambs to the slaughter :open_mouth:

No one should…

Be driving for that money, it’s a shocking rate.

The fly in the Chardonnay being if that’s all there is local to you, you pretty much have to ■■■■ it up or, find another vocation.

id be choosing the latter

If you’re tramping anyway you don’t have to accept it cos its local, i know lads who travel many miles on a Monday morn and go home Fri night cos they won’t work for peanuts, i work with one lad who lives 250 miles away but its worth him renting a small flat and works here couple of weeks at a time on perma agency then buggers off home for a few days, our lot would give him a job in an instant but he wants to stay as he is cos it suits his life.

Juddian:
If you’re tramping anyway you don’t have to accept it cos its local, i know lads who travel many miles on a Monday morn and go home Fri night cos they won’t work for peanuts, i work with one lad who lives 250 miles away but its worth him renting a small flat and works here couple of weeks at a time on perma agency then buggers off home for a few days, our lot would give him a job in an instant but he wants to stay as he is cos it suits his life.

two of ours come from Lancs and work down Herts way.

We ended up renting a flat for another reason for a while and it kind of morphed into their weekday home when they are doing an abroad run. Actually, I think one of them lives there pretty much all the time now…might have to start charging him weekend rent!

Indeed Albion, for those who put the effort in to make themselves worth employing there is no need to have to take insulting wages, the sooner companies like the one paying £8.50 can only recruit half wits who wreck more than they deliver leading to those companies going bust the better,

I was on £8 15 years ago when I left Haulage and that was class 1 for Wincanton on local Work… I take it the only way to get decent money is nights away etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank the politicians for it.Floods of cheap labour will eventually kill this Country (Is that the Eu’s plan?).How do these people think you can get a mortgage on that kind of money ?
In 1999 I was a track worker on £10.50 ph fitting zip ties & Hog ringing seat covers to car seats , And feeling under payed then .Greed and politicians need curbing and fast ,What teenager will ever want to start in this industry on that poxy money…

I agree…

One can work away from home but, what about those who don’t want to night out because of family commitments?

What really grinds my gears is low pay when there’s plenty of profit to pay better wages.

The old story, a boss talking to one his drivers who was looking at the boss’ Range Rover. The boss said ‘if you work long, hard and with due dilligence lad, this time next year… I’ll be able to afford another one of those’

Its not all like that, our ultimate boss is a very wealthy man.

Us coal face workers are paid class leading salaries, most of us appreciate what we have and do our bit to keep the ship sailing, you will always find the odd few who if you paid 'em a grand a week to lie in bed would still find something to moan about.

The company is very profitable, it has a highly respected name in the field, it employs a lot of people and we are all paid well above the going rate for whatever our jobs are, very very few people leave, they never advertise for drivers and i doubt they will.

Far as i’m concerned i want our boss to grow the company even more leading to more wealth and job security for all of us…now what pray is wrong with any of that, it doesn’t have to be us and them.

yourhavingalarf:
I agree…

What really grinds my gears is low pay when there’s plenty of profit to pay better wages.

The old story, a boss talking to one his drivers who was looking at the boss’ Range Rover. The boss said ‘if you work long, hard and with due dilligence lad, this time next year… I’ll be able to afford another one of those’

My old boss, who now subbies for me, has a brand new Toyota 4x4 , it doesn’t come out of the company or his wages, it comes from an inheritance. 1 + 1 does not always = 2.

As for the plenty of profit, the big players are on around the 3-4% mark, that is not big profit.

Save me a load of typing, I’ll copy and paste something I wrote from a previous post:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=148391&p=2345057&hilit=+profit#p2345057

Take Downtons, 5.7 million pre tax profit on 111.6 million turnover, which as a percentage of turnover is about on a par with the wincantons and gregorys of this world. Tax will take 20% of that, so profit down to £4,560,000.
They have 700 trucks, so for ease say they have a thousand drivers, extra will cover holiday and training time and double shifting the truck.
Extra 1.00 on basic 40 hours for those 1000 drivers comes to £2,080000.
Extra 1.50 on 15 hours overtime comes to £1,170,000
Employers contributions, call it 10% for ease (it’s more actually) £325,000
All together that comes to £3,575,000.
That leaves around a million profit, which barely makes a business of that size viable.
Now I’ve had a few wines :stuck_out_tongue: , so I’m possibly out a bit, but it’s broadly right. My point is that what looks like a small raise on the hourly rate, would have Downtons begging for an increase in their pence per mile.

Personally I think wages are low and should be higher. I’m not bothered if wages went up to £20.00 an hour and really. nor should any other haulier as then everyone would be in the same boat, you then have to go to your customer and say this paying wages lark, it’s gone up by 100% I need an extra 25% on my rate.

In all of life, you get paid broadly what you can contribute. Had you gone in for brain surgery, then you’d be on a 100k+, but you didn’t, you did a month long course or so, that many people could pass. You could have put your house up and risk losing it like I did and set up on your own. You could work more hours ( in another line of work); certainly 60 hours is nothing compared to what you do to get a business off the ground. I probably sound rude, trying not to be, it’s just a simple way of looking at things: what do you bring to the table and how does that differentiate you from others?

Nothing wrong with…

Profit. After all, it’s why all of us show up every Monday morning.

The unpalatable thing is profiteering. Making more money at other peoples expense to the point of it being detrimental to the workers themselves.

I’m confident that Currie European can pay more than they currently do.

£8.50hr??
There are Plenty of drivers working all over the diff trucking sectors around NI that draw those kind of wages or LESS!!!

Montgomery/Surefreight/McCulla to name 3 off top of head!!!

Drivers on the 8wheelers/bulk tippers would on Av be on even less some in the £7.50/8.00hr mark!! !!![emoji52]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

yourhavingalarf:
Nothing wrong with…

Profit. After all, it’s why all of us show up every Monday morning.

The unpalatable thing is profiteering. Making more money at other peoples expense to the point of it being detrimental to the workers themselves.

AND AS SOON AS THEY DO AND PUT UP THEIR RATES BY 2P PER MILE,GOUTHARDS AND EVERYONE ELSE WILL FIGHT LIKE SEAGULLS OVER A CHIP TO CUT THE RATE AND TAKE THEIR WORK.oops sorry for the caps…
like most,then curries and coulthards etc are so miserable penny pinchers then they only ever breath in.
as far as the rest with certain exeptions and some subbies,then they are just busy poor men.

The high hourly rates are for the jobs most drivers don’t want.
If it’s not the job itself, it’ll be the god-awful shift patterns of it.

If the idea of doing 23:00 starts, working across weekends, and getting no bank holidays off makes you moist between the legs - then there’s plenty of work about paying north of £10ph full time - and that’s just for class two.

The “differential” between C1 and C2 pay - seems to have narrowed in particular over the past year since the Brexit vote as well.

They are advertising £33k C2 jobs at Aylesford on early doors starts. The idea of “Early Doors” might appeal - but mention “multidrop” and everyone loses interest…

I would imagine up north, you’d have your hand bitten off for that kind of money, even on multidrop - hence why EXACTLY the same job up there - pays over £5000pa LESS.

The north/south divide is alive and well! :wink:

yourhavingalarf:

motortransport.co.uk/top100/moto … -100-2016/

Average turnover is up 1.4%; average pre-tax profit is up 2.25%

motortransport.co.uk/PDFs/MT%20T … 202012.pdf

Sorry I can’t find later than this, but Curries show for 2011 £33million turnover, 676,000 profit. 2012 35 million turnover, 139,000 profit. 2011 was not great, 2012 is terrible. If you apply my £1.00 per hour scenario as in the Downtons example, you can see that they’d be wiped out.

Ultimately Curries have chosen to pursue a low cost strategy and that causes problem for companies that try to charge more and pay more. As dieseldog says, Curries up their rates and others will be on their contracts like seagulls to a bag of chips :laughing:

In the same way that drivers are their own worst enemy for accepting low rates, so are hauliers. There’s really no difference between the two.

albion:

yourhavingalarf:

Sorry I can’t find later than this, but Curries show for 2011 £33million turnover, 676,000 profit. 2012 35 million turnover, 139,000 profit. 2011 was not great, 2012 is terrible. If you apply my £1.00 per hour scenario as in the Downtons example, you can see that they’d be wiped out.

Ultimately Curries have chosen to pursue a low cost strategy and that causes problem for companies that try to charge more and pay more. As dieseldog says, Curries up their rates and others will be on their contracts like seagulls to a bag of chips :laughing:

In the same way that drivers are their own worst enemy for accepting low rates, so are hauliers. There’s really no difference between the two.

Fair comment…

Going by your figures there’s very little left.

Is the future the collapse of the company?

yourhavingalarf:

albion:

yourhavingalarf:

Fair comment…

They may be bought by a big European player, I wouldn’t see any of the big UK companies finding them attractive. I am sure within 5 years there will be a massive increase in European hauliers covering UK work.

yourhavingalarf:

albion:

yourhavingalarf:

Fair comment…

Couldn’t say Mr Larf. Those are old figures, if I was so inclined I could probably hunt more and find more up to date figures possibly showing a better profit ratio. I suspect that they will never have a fantastic profit margin. And technically, you might find that the MD is taking home £5 million, though it’s unlikely. From a tax pov, there is a reason to keep profits down, there are ways of doing that,which are good for the company - and drivers! - and ones that aren’t. You really have to have the full picture and even with a full set of accounts, that’s difficult to determine.

My main point is that haulage generally doesn’t have much profit margin and drivers and businesses are as guilty as each other in keeping rates low.