Job Going Currie Euro Coatbridge

Due to ongoing expansion we require qualified LGV Class 1 drivers to join our team based in Coatbridge. Duties include the collection and delivery of goods throughout the UK. Experience is preferred but not essential but applicants must hold a valid Class 1 licence, Drivers CPC qualification and digital tacho card.

Shifts available are:

6 day Tramping

Basic weekly wage is £426.25 (based on 55 hours)

Overtime rate is £8.02 per hour

Night out allowance £24.00 per night.

£7.75 per hour for first 55 hours… Sign me up!

DRIVER SHORTAGE ALERT!!!

Another reason I’m not sorry I allowed my class one to lapse … pathetic !!

I honestly thought I was badly paid!

Wow - 25p per hour over the latest national minimum wage . . . (£7.50ph after 1 April for over-25s)

The interesting thing about the Currie jobs page is that this depot is the only one to show a wage against the job - but are they forced by driver availability to pay more for drivers based at other depots?

monster.co.uk/jobs/c-currie … mited.aspx

That wage is shocking , we pay £10 per hr for pick up truck driving plus travel lodge plus £24 and guaranteed 30 hrs even if you stay home all week .

I remember the days when Curries was a respected firm to work for, especially on the Euro side.
I’ve talked to a couple of their ex (good) drivers very recently that I know and used to meet on the boat regularly about 7 yrs ago , and they have both said the firm is looked upon as a bit of a joke now, and they have some right stars driving for them now…allegedlly :unamused:
I can see why looking at that. :open_mouth:

robroy:
I remember the days when Curries was a respected firm to work for, especially on the Euro side.
I’ve talked to a couple of their ex (good) drivers very recently that I know and used to meet on the boat regularly about 7 yrs ago , and they have both said the firm is looked upon as a bit of a joke now, and they have some right stars driving for them now…allegedlly :unamused:
I can see why looking at that. :open_mouth:

Well there was the Forth Road bridge incident and a few weeks prior to that one dropped the trailer at Carnforth roundabout.

Turners of Soham in Larkhall isn’t much better. £81 for first 10.25 hours which is £7.90ph

Too many companies use night out money to justify the wage.

In contrast Farmfoods ■■■■■■■■■■■ are currently advertising £12.69ph although that kind of store delivery work takes a special kind of person lol.

Steve-o:
In contrast Farmfoods ■■■■■■■■■■■ are currently advertising £12.69ph although that kind of store delivery work takes a special kind of person lol.

This is what im prattling on about in another post. The companys that pay good money and T&C’s are about its just that you have to do a bit of graft to get that money.
Too many of todays drivers just want to sit on their fat arses, trundle down the motorway and let somebody else unload and yet they want megabucks for doing it!!

As this is a national forum I would emphasise that Coatbridge and sourrounding area is very much post industrial .Housing costs are fairly low in that sort of place.If you cycle to the pub you walk home.

Steve-o:
Turners of Soham in Larkhall isn’t much better. £81 for first 10.25 hours which is £7.90ph

Too many companies use night out money to justify the wage.

In a nutshell sir!

alamcculloch:
As this is a national forum I would emphasise that Coatbridge and sourrounding area is very much post industrial .Housing costs are fairly low in that sort of place.If you cycle to the pub you walk home.

You mean it’s a ■■■■ hole? :laughing:

msgyorkie:

Steve-o:

This is what im prattling on about in another post. The companys that pay good money and T&C’s are about its just that you have to do a bit of graft to get that money.
Too many of todays drivers just want to sit on their fat arses, trundle down the motorway and let somebody else unload and yet they want megabucks for doing it!!

My first question would be “What days/hours do you want me to work?” and the answer to that will help me decide whether it’s good bad or indifferent. The advert doesn’t specify the hours…

msgyorkie:

Being disabled, that’s the only job I can physically do. By your line of thinking, I should be kept down on minimum wage. :unamused:

And no doubt in a few weeks when curries have failed to fill the vacancies the management will be moaning about “driver shortage”.
I had to laugh a few months ago when another largish central Scotland haulage outfit was on the local news giving it large because they had started a training program for kids leaving school, according to there mouthpiece they had to do this because of the severe driver shortage in there area. Utter crap, the reason they have trouble recruiting drivers is because their pay rate is pish . Just because the have a nice nearly new volvo fleet they expect drivers to accept near minimum wage.
My opinion for what it is worth is that a company who looks after it’s drivers, treats them with respect and pays well will recruit quite easily usually by word of mouth. It’s the crap outfit’s that struggle to recruit and retain.
Now I know it’s not quite the same and they wont be able to put in the hours but here is an advert from my local Indian restaurant looking to recruit delivery drivers .
Something not quite right when the hourly rate for driving a Mini is higher than driving an artic.

Until you said they had a fleet of Volvo’s, I thought you were on about my old place for a minute there alfa man.[emoji23][emoji23] I think he’s trying to do something similar due to him being able to get drivers. As you say, they could save themselves the hassle and just pay a decent wage and they wouldn’t have this problem. Said it all really when he could offer me the new 630bhp gigaspace Actros he had coming if I stayed, but not a wage rise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damoq:
Until you said they had a fleet of Volvo’s, I thought you were on about my old place for a minute there alfa man.[emoji23][emoji23] I think he’s trying to do something similar due to him being able to get drivers. As you say, they could save themselves the hassle and just pay a decent wage and they wouldn’t have this problem. Said it all really when he could offer me the new 630bhp gigaspace Actros he had coming if I stayed, but not a wage rise.

600hp gigaspace merc for UK work at prob £100K plus and he cant give you a pay rise? WTF??

AndrewG:

damoq:

600hp gigaspace merc for UK work at prob £100K plus and he cant give you a pay rise? WTF??

Wasn’t even brand new. Was an ex demo. 15 plate the same as the BigSpace I already had. Plus I was a day driver!!!

damoq:

Looks like your old place has looked east for you replacement, seen your old black merc in Glenrothes the other day with a nameplate in the window that certainly didn’t have a Scottish ring to it. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: