CPC Home Study

Hi Folks,
Has anyone done a CPC home Study course?
How easy are they to follow and how do you know if you are heading in the right direction? Or is it a case of turn up to the exam and find out!
What sort of price should i pay for a pack and how long to plod through the coursework?
Any help would be greatly appreiciated…
Thanks
Matt

Hi Matt,

I found the cheapest CPC Course was the “Learn Direct” course, this can be done online at a cost of £50. I found the course very good and easy to follow. My problem was I decided I didn’t need a CPC. After reading the threads on here re owner drivers and the problems they have and talking with some owner drivers I know, I decided not to become an O/D. You will still have the exam costs to pay on top of the £50.

Regards
Westie

Thanks Westie, hadnt thought of Learn Direct, will have a look on their website… £50 seems very reasonable too…

matt1978:
Thanks Westie, hadnt thought of Learn Direct, will have a look on their website… £50 seems very reasonable too…

the link is in the useful links forum

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8203

Denis F:

matt1978:

the link is in the useful links forum

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8203

hmmmm… that’s not working

try catalogue.learndirect.co.uk/cour … w=Standard

I bought a book by David Lowe and then booked the exams with the RTITB.

I cant remember the book, but google it or have a look on Amazon

Wheel Nut:

davidlowe.org/

it’s called "A Study Manual of Professional Competence in Road Haulage "

I did mine with a Friendberry Home Study Pack (mainly because they are local to me) but did a 2 day revision course with them before the exams.

Passed modules 1 & 2 first time, module 4 second time and passed module 6 (int) a couple of years later

Wheel Nut:

Got the David Lowe book from amazon a few months ago. All the info is in the book, but 1st few chapters are a real slog, and I found I would start to drift off after about 15 mins study… Thought I’d look for something computer based as I have never enjoyed reading! :laughing:

Matt, I have just done the Learn Direct course (national) and have just got my certificate through the post this morning :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Whilst the course is not the best - it has not been updated so some of the info is incorrect - but not much - it is possible to pass with it. But I have to say it is a slog, I am not the most acedemic of people so having to sit down for a few hours a week and read alot of web pages is hard going, I found it better to read the stuff on screen and then print the topic for a hard copy to revise from, I had a good tutor though and they set you little tests throughout so you can see how you are doing, which the book type courses dont. It also means there is someone on hand to give help and advice should you get stuck on something. I am now going to do my International module and hope to take it in the next bout of exams which I think are in September. My best advice is not to rush it, I saw people in the exams who had only really started the home study course the week b4 and you could tell they were struggling. The other thing is you need to find an exam centere and book your own exams, But if you contact OCR (they are the exam board) they can give you details of who does the exams in your area. Hope this helps - it’s a good feeling when you pass.

Congrats on passing smcaul, bet it is a good feeling when u pass… Learn Direct seems the most appealing at the mo, so will prob go with that one… Good Luck with the future mate!