cpc training

hi here im thinking of doing my operators cpc exam, i want to go via the home study route can any one advise me on which home study pack would be the best one cos theres so many out there

thanks.

same here, im looking to use the recession to get trained up before starting up anyone know where to get a revision guide / cd from?

kage5001:
hi here im thinking of doing my operators cpc exam, i want to go via the home study route can any one advise me on which home study pack would be the best one cos theres so many out there

thanks.

Hi kage5001,

As an ex-CPC tutor, I start hearing alarm bells when people mention home-study, because home study only works for a very few people. I know this, because I’ve spent ages trying to correct the mistakes made by the average person who chose home study in the hope that they’d save some money.
They generally take a lot of rescuing from the hole that they’ve dug for themselves. :wink:

IMHO, the best CPC learning materials come from EOS. If you’re doing home-study, I’d advise you to ask the provider which student notes they will supply to you, because as you said, there are lots of different ones out there. Then I’d suggest that you should ask what level of support you can expect, such as online, email or telephone support from a tutor. If a provider simply says “we give you the book and you let us know when you’re ready for the exam,” then how will you know when you’re ready■■?

I wouldn’t try and put you off, but it would be wrong of me not to point out that operator CPC is not easy.

If you’d like to have more info, I’d suggest that you click the following link and (reading carefully) go about half way down the post to the link for National CPC downloadable documents and read them with care.
BTW, in answer to your other post, there’s also a link to downloadable documents for the international CPC. :smiley:

Just so that you can find that post easily at some other time, it is a sticky at the top of the Owner and Fleet Operators’ Forum.

:arrow_right: NEW Road Haulage CPC LINK to OCR [Updated Feb 2013] - USEFUL LINKS (POST AND READ ONLY) - Trucknet UK

I hope this helps and I’d like to wish you good luck with your studies. :smiley:

jjcymru:
same here, im looking to use the recession to get trained up before starting up anyone know where to get a revision guide / cd from?

Hi jjcymru,

If you’d like a CPC revision guide / cd, you can get them from Mr Friendberry :arrow_right: http://www.friendberry.co.uk/

I know that I recommended EOS in my answer above, but you’ve asked a different question. :wink:
AFAIK, EOS don’t do CDs. (Except PowerPoint CDs for tutors, but there’s nowhere near enough info on them for study purposes.)

I do urge caution though, because what suits one person might not suit another. :wink:

In my experience, EOS is the course that just about every CPC provider uses, but that takes nothing away from Mr Friendberry or any of the other courses on offer.

I hope this helps and I’d like to wish you good luck with your studies. :smiley:

Because i work for a good company :slight_smile: they have put all the drivers through the cpc, along with the subbies as well. we got paid for doing it, in company time, and we are now the proud owners of another useless piece of crap…although it does fit in the wallet, cos its the same piece of plastic and the same size as the digicard…i cant wait for the next piece of legislation :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

truckyboy:
Because i work for a good company :slight_smile: they have put all the drivers through the cpc, along with the subbies as well. we got paid for doing it, in company time, and we are now the proud owners of another useless piece of crap…although it does fit in the wallet, cos its the same piece of plastic and the same size as the digicard…i cant wait for the next piece of legislation :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi truckyboy, Sorry mate, but I think you’re possibly talking about a different CPC.

An operator CPC is A4 in size. :wink:

Hats off to your firm though, cos the CPC you mentioned is actually a driver’s responsibility to get sorted and paid for.

dieseldave:
Hi truckyboy, Sorry mate, but I think you’re possibly talking about a different CPC.

I wondered when the driver cpc would get mentioned as the title of the thread did not say which it was

Hi there
when I did mine it all came down to cost and I went for the cheapest option the cpc centre where I received 3 books 1 CD and a set of study notes. I then booked my own exams at Bolton Uni. Had cost not been a concern for me I would no way have gone for home study as in my opinion you would learn much better with others around you. Personally I think I did ok and passed all but the case study, but I feel if I had done even a classroom based study for this then I feel I may have passed that too. So my advice if you are going to home study is to get yourself booked onto a course for the case study as I am sure it will make a world of difference to you. This is what I intend to do when the finances will allow.

Hope this helps you out

dieseldave:

kage5001:

thanks.

Hi kage5001,

As an ex-CPC tutor, I start hearing alarm bells when people mention home-study, because home study only works for a very few people. I know this, because I’ve spent ages trying to correct the mistakes made by the average person who chose home study in the hope that they’d save some money.
They generally take a lot of rescuing from the hole that they’ve dug for themselves. :wink:

IMHO, the best CPC learning materials come from EOS. If you’re doing home-study, I’d advise you to ask the provider which student notes they will supply to you, because as you said, there are lots of different ones out there. Then I’d suggest that you should ask what level of support you can expect, such as online, email or telephone support from a tutor. If a provider simply says “we give you the book and you let us know when you’re ready for the exam,” then how will you know when you’re ready■■?

I wouldn’t try and put you off, but it would be wrong of me not to point out that operator CPC is not easy.

If you’d like to have more info, I’d suggest that you click the following link and (reading carefully) go about half way down the post to the link for National CPC downloadable documents and read them with care.
BTW, in answer to your other post, there’s also a link to downloadable documents for the international CPC. :smiley:

Just so that you can find that post easily at some other time, it is a sticky at the top of the Owner and Fleet Operators’ Forum.

:arrow_right: NEW Road Haulage CPC LINK to OCR [Updated Feb 2013] - USEFUL LINKS (POST AND READ ONLY) - Trucknet UK

hi thank you very much for your response it was very helpful iv gone and had a look at the EOS web site and they seem like the best option to go for regarding a homestudy pack once again thank you very much for your response …

Years ago I attended my local college to study module A for the national CPC.
I would of stood no chance of passing if I had studied at home.
Just thinking of the law of torts still makes me shudder. :laughing:

My regret is that I never got to sit the second part,but work commitments made it impossible. :frowning:

i think it depends on how much experience you have.
do you know most of the rules and regs, and just need to brush up on a few bits, or are you starting prety much from scratch?
maybe that will help make your decision.

personally, i would pay for an in house course myself. there are others who will ask questions, that you may not have thought to ask, and vice versa.

Well if you can take an operators CPC via home study, is there any reason why you cant take the periodic driver’s CPC using the same method ? It would sitting in a class room for 7 hours at a time being told how to ■■■■ eggs…

Secretelephant:
Well if you can take an operators CPC via home study, is there any reason why you cant take the periodic driver’s CPC using the same method ?

The Dcpc is an ATTENDANCE course where the trainer needs to see you attending - perhaps this is a subject for a different thread :bulb: :question:

sorry folks - back to National/Operator CPC…

Hi
Just my view.
I completed cpc natinal on a course with about 15 others, it generated a real “blitz sprit”
no way i would have stood a chance on my own at home

Rog thanks for the pm