National CPC Road Haulage

We are looking to move from a restricted O licence to a national…as part of this I am the person who will act as TM and so I need to do the above CPC…

Have not got the time or money to do a residential course so am looking to do as distance learning course in spare time - can anyone reccomend a training supplier for this? Have looked at loads on t’internet and seems to be a massive range in prices…anyone have any expereience they can share?

Thanks in anticipation

Dave

I bought a David Lowe book and studied in the cab. It depends what works for you, bear in mind you need to do it before December though as there are changes afoot.

Everyone studies at a different rate, some need pushing, some can just take it all in and remember it.

TheRustyBulletHole:
We are looking to move from a restricted O licence to a national…as part of this I am the person who will act as TM and so I need to do the above CPC…

Have not got the time or money to do a residential course so am looking to do as distance learning course in spare time - can anyone reccomend a training supplier for this? Have looked at loads on t’internet and seems to be a massive range in prices…anyone have any expereience they can share?

Thanks in anticipation

Dave

Hi Dave,

I would recommend buying the study books from Henry @ K-Training like I did. Check out there wesite for details www.ktraining.com.

Also if you can afford it I would 100% recommend you do a revision day or two with them. It was worth more to me than the months studying beforehand because they ask you questions from all angles.

If you do find it hard to pass and need a cpc holder then I would be glad to assist. Check out my website www.dp-freight.co.uk.

Thanks,
David @ DP Freight

cheers for the answers so far gents…

Dave

Anyone had any experience of Tachodisc and their training packs for home study of the CPC?

cheers all…

Dave

I am also in the middle of studying for my Operator CPC thorugh distance learning using a course package found online and to be honest its hard work. Much harder than it needs to be. I going to grab a copy of David Lowe`s 1001 questions and his Complete Guide so together they should be more than enough for me to “scrape” thorugh.

As of December of this year, i have heard that the National CPC and International CPC courses are to be amalgamated into one. So if you havent bookd for your September exams you will be under the new regime.

Keep us updated on how you go.

Regards

I would do it has a have a National CPC doing nothing just depends where you are based

With the TC getting a little strict for hire in TM I think I’ll do my CPC. It shouldn’t really effect me as my TM is only on his own and mine operator licence and we’ve only one truck each but you never know what else they will bring out in years to come.

I’ve few questions about CPC training course:

1. with the change in December of the international and national all becoming one thing, I don’t want to risk only passing one or two and having to do all three again, so would it make sense to wait?

2. anyone reccomemd a good CPC training course?

3. any good reading material to give me a head start?

4( are they easy?

The EOS notes are the best ones I’ve come across. Tried David Lowe but found it too wordy and it was difficult to pick out what you needed. Hope this helps

Lillykins:
The EOS notes are the best ones I’ve come across. Tried David Lowe but found it too wordy and it was difficult to pick out what you needed. Hope this helps

Thanks.

I’m not going to do a home study as I’m easily bored and will just not put the effort in. Being in a class Room with others will be better for me.

It’s just I’ll have a heads up on what to expect if I do a little reading before the course.

mixer driver:

Lillykins:

Thanks.

I’m not going to do a home study as I’m easily bored and will just not put the effort in. Being in a class Room with others will be better for me.

It’s just I’ll have a heads up on what to expect if I do a little reading before the course.

Friendberry did a hell lot of a good job for me. 9 day course passed first time with two fingers in my nose.
Came from Holland so no experience in UK rules and regulations, but they pushed me through it all the way.
Extreme hard work, but never bored and good result

mixer driver:
With the TC getting a little strict for hire in TM I think I’ll do my CPC. It shouldn’t really effect me as my TM is only on his own and mine operator licence and we’ve only one truck each but you never know what else they will bring out in years to come.

Hi mixer driver,
When a change as big as this is first proposed, there is usually a consultation period and a lead-in period, so that it doesn’t come as a nasty sudden shock.
I think this is as far as they’ll go for quite a while.
TBH mate, I can’t see much of a problem with the set-up that you’ve got at the moment.

If you wish to press ahead, I have some thoughts on your questions. (I used to teach CPC.)

mixer driver:
I’ve few questions about CPC training course:

1. with the change in December of the international and national all becoming one thing, I don’t want to risk only passing one or two and having to do all three again, so would it make sense to wait?

I think this is a double-edged sword mate.
On the one hand, you just need a National CPC, but you’d have to be pretty determined and have plenty of self-discipline to pass all three present exams by the cut-off date, but it can be done.

On the other hand, if you wait, you’ll have to study loads of international stuff that you’ll probably never need. The course will involve longer downtime for yourself and therefore more expensive in two ways.

mixer driver:
2) anyone reccomemd a good CPC training course?

I’d recommend a structured classroom course using EOS training notes, but where the instructor doesn’t simply read the student notes out aloud to the class in the manner of a newsreader.

mixer driver:
3) any good reading material to give me a head start?

I’d caution you against a “head start,” because it’s always best to get the relevant (up-to-date) notes that actually go with the course that you will take. The relevant notes are designed with the next exam in mind, so my fear for you is that if you study some random notes, you might then find that you have to ‘unlearn’ something. ‘Unlearning’ is far harder than learning.

mixer driver:
4( are they easy?

I’m making absolutely no assumptions about you, but “easy” is relative to your own standard of education.
Please don’t take that the wrong way, because I mean that if you have one or more “A” levels (or equivalents or better,) then you’ll probably find a CPC course will be reasonably “easy.”
A CPC course presently has the same degree of difficulty as an “A” level.
That’s not to say that it takes the same length of time (it doesn’t,) but it’s just to give you a rough idea of the standard.

I hope that helps. :smiley:

Thanks Dave, that was a great help.

I think I’ll wait until after the swap over to international as it would be a complete waste of time and money if I didn’t pass all three and then have to take the three again.

I’ll check EOS out when I have more time.

mixer driver:

I think I’ll wait until after the swap over to international as it would be a complete waste of time and money if I didn’t pass all three and then have to take the three again.

Hi mixer driver,

I’d say that waiting until next year is your best option in terms of not being under too much pressure to get the three present modules under your belt within a certain time.

Just to let you know about EOS… the EOS student notes are pretty much the industry standard when it comes to CPC and they’re used by many CPC course providers.
Here’s a link to let you have a look:
:arrow_right: EOS Student Notes

dieseldave:

mixer driver:

Hi mixer driver,

I’d say that waiting until next year is your best option in terms of not being under too much pressure to get the three present modules under your belt within a certain time.

Just to let you know about EOS… the EOS student notes are pretty much the industry standard when it comes to CPC and they’re used by many CPC course providers.

I`m looking to study for my own National CPC for December exam and was wondering if the EOS notes at £47 were comprehensive enough and perhaps they are designed to compliment a course and the £105 pack is intended for Home Study. I failed module 4 in 2005 so I need to study 1&2 again to take the Module 4.

I did my national CPC at Hargreaves Training in Leeds and I commuted through to their training centre in Leeds for 5 days while I did my training. I then sat the exams the week later.
For my international I did a distance learning course with EOS then at the right time I booked the exam through Hargreaves again and sat it. Passed both first time. I do know that they do distance learning as well and the syllabus was very comprehensive.
I would say that you need to move very quickly though as the national and international are to be merged very soon.

mixer driver too:

dieseldave:

mixer driver:

Hi mixer driver,

I`m looking to study for my own National CPC for December exam and was wondering if the EOS notes at £47 were comprehensive enough and perhaps they are designed to compliment a course and the £105 pack is intended for Home Study. I failed module 4 in 2005 so I need to study 1&2 again to take the Module 4.

Hi mate,

I don’t say something like this very often…, BUT… I can defo say that the EOS notes are comprehensive and will get you to the required standard.

The EOS notes are designed to go with the EOS PowerPoint slideshow for classroom use, but they are perfectly OK when used in a ‘stand alone’ way. TBH, I don’t know whether EOS produce different notes for home-study, so it might be an idea for you to give them a ring if that’s a concern for you.

EOS offer training providers a proper and full CPC course consisting of one set of EOS tutor notes, one set of PowerPoint presentations and as many sets of student notes as the provider thinks will suit the number of candidates who have booked to attend.

Some penny-pinching providers simply buy a number of sets of student notes and order the tutor to read to the class in the manner of a newsreader. When I taught CPC, I ALWAYS refused to teach in that manner because IMHO that simply isn’t teaching due to that very old-fashioned method not being interactive.

I always recommend a classroom course because there is the opportunity to ask a question and get an answer in ‘real’ time, plus I’ve noticed that the classmates tend to support each other and quite often become friends due to the shared experience. I’d just add that home-study really does require an ability to be very self-disciplined and isn’t for everybody due to inevitable family interruptions.

:bulb: I’ve known many many people who ended up in a classroom for lessons and re-sits due to having gambled and failed the CPC exam(s) after home-study. Personally, I have never ever known anybody fail their CPC exams after a classroom course, then do a re-sit and pass after home-study.

Thank you Dieseldave.
My EOS notes have arrived and will get my head into them starting Monday night.
I`m booked onto 3 day classroom module 4 course at end of November.
An instructor said to me Friday that the recent September Module 4 seemed somewhat easier than what they have seen in the past. hopefully December will be the same :smiley:

mixer driver too:
Thank you Dieseldave.
My EOS notes have arrived and will get my head into them starting Monday night.
I`m booked onto 3 day classroom module 4 course at end of November.
An instructor said to me Friday that the recent September Module 4 seemed somewhat easier than what they have seen in the past. hopefully December will be the same :smiley:

Hi mate,

I’m glad you’re sorted. :smiley:

I’ve had a very quick look at the September case study, but there’s no ADR in it this time. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

From my quick read of it, I’d suggest that you really get to grips with the ‘O’ licencing system and the different Traffic Areas.

Transporting sheep has been mentioned in the case-study for September, so Denis F is yer man for that one. If he doesn’t spot this, just give him a poke with a pointed stick. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

dieseldave:
Transporting sheep has been mentioned in the case-study for September, so Denis F is yer man for that one. If he doesn’t spot this, just give him a poke with a pointed stick. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

pointed sticks are banned under EU Regulation 1/2005 :wink:

what does the case study say ?