Council interview with possible driving assessment

Hi all

Have got council class 2 driver interview on Friday 9th. Have been told that I might have a driving assessment in any of their vehicles. I have asked some local council drivers on gears in the trucks. Most bin lorries are autos with everything else manual.

Two of their newest trucks are volvos which the drivers hadn’t drove yet but they think have I-shifts. Can anyone give a basic description on these?

I have read the topics on gears and auto boxes and I hope that most autos work the same.

Thanks in advance…

Sorry, have just found answer in professional drivers forum :blush:

alot of councils are moving over to auto boxes, probably cause the manuals get the crap beat out of them tbh, the local council up here has every new motor with an auto box, a few oldies some i liked some i hated, the foden i had i grew to like it then i got a volvo which was stupidly fast :smiley:

the fleet spec daf cf was rubbish, the ones with the override are alot better though.

I forgot I posted this :blush:

There was no driving assessment in this interview and I didn’t get the job but was offered another post with council. I’m hoping now I can cover for holiday/sick times and maybe get a driving job that way.

When the bloke phoned to say I didn’t get the job I asked him was it because I only had my class 2 for a few months or was it their insurance policy. He said neither, someone else just had a little more experience than me. So maybe I can still get the driving job I want but just through the back door. :smiley: