Nervous , advice please

any advice needed here , ive got myself a driving assessment on monday morning for a class 2 job doing refuse &recycling work , ive been told the wagons are all automatics , ive not driven a auto before and dont wanna screw this assessment up, any advice on what to expect on assessment ? it feels im doing my test again , btw this will be my first job in hgv driving if i get past this assessment ?

help

I seem to remember that the lever goes forward for reverse and back to go forward whic always seemed odd to me

Its not a test - its a safe driving assessment done usually by another driver who is also the assessor/trainer

If you do not know something ASK because they will not want numpties who try and blag it

ROG:
I seem to remember that the lever goes forward for reverse and back to go forward whic always seemed odd to me

Its not a test - its a safe driving assessment done usually by another driver who is also the assessor/trainer

If you do not know something ASK because they will not want numpties who try and blag it

What lever Rog? Not driven any bin lorries with a lever for the gearbox.

I done a lot of Bin lorry work and i’m facing the possibility of having some more. Is it for the council?

On all the bin lorries I’ve drove it’s buttons, and they use Allison Gearboxes. Three electronic buttons, R N D and it takes a little while for the PTO to disengage on some when you select drive. Be careful because they will run away with you going downhill and will obviously change up but you don’t want to be on the brakes all the time to getting to learn the manual option on the box is a plus if it is fitted with one as some aren’t.

Interested to know if it’s council work or not though?

Some of the DAF wagons have the stick shifter, dead easy to use, put it in ‘D’ to go forwards, shove it into ‘R’ to go backwards… other DAF wagons have a rotary switch for changing gears… those gearboxes are absolute pants, but do the job… same again, put it in D to go forwards… etc…

Do your walk round checks (shows you know what you are doing) it’s amazing how many Bin Lorry Drivers just jump in & Drive away :confused: , should take 10 to 15 minutes if you do it properly.
Make sure the lights, brake lights, reversing lights, beacons and number plate are visible & working.
Tyres have tread & not damaged from the landfill (or being driven over ‘KERBS & NICE GRASS VERGES’ Grrrr !!! “Animals” :unamused: )
Look for fuel,oil and fluid leaks (Tanks & sumps can get damaged when they are on landfills or transfer stations)
It’s ‘bin’ a few months since I drove one but most Bin lorries are automatic with buttons just press D for drive & R for reverse, we had Merc’s & Dennis’s both had the same gearbox setup. Tell the assessor that you hav’nt driven these before & ask for his advise, they are very easy & very manouverable to drive & you havn’t got any gears to worry about.
The PTO (Power take off) will have 2 positions- 1 will be for when you are loading it, ie- making it pack the lovely smelly rubbish in the back, & the other position will be for when you tip it/push it out- the back end will lift up then the blade pushes the rubbish out (looks like the lorry is having a dump :laughing: ) They will train you up on these operations when you get the job (don’t worry about the PTO for your assessment)
Take your time, it’s not a race & use all the correct driving techniques- 2 hands on the wheel, mirrors, signals & positioning & drive courtiously. The local council won’t be very happy with a Boy racer driving around in one of their Nice Liveried Dust Carts.

Oh ! & take a Peg for your nose-Bin Lorrys Stink :unamused: (but you get used to it :wink: )

cheers for advice people , not sure if we can mention company names on here but its a fairly big firm , just hope i dont screw this up , decent hours mon to fri sat mornings optional , suits me perfect