Assessment drive

Got my assessment drive booked 1pm 2moz with company called truk based in warrington also have other depots I am led to believe manchester bolton etc.

Has any1 had dealing with company if so what r they like.

They say drive will be late model volvo or scania new to all this does any1 know what models they use and what type of gearboxes are fitted need to try learn theory side of gears lol

many thanks

Mike

Firstly Mike forget about what g/boxes they have as when you get to the truck for the assessment drive just be straight and honest with the assessor and tell him / her that you have not driven a vehicle with (what appears to be “I” shift or Auto boxes) on Volvos or Scanias.

There is nothing wrong in telling the truth and that is you have no experience of these types of g/box and if the assessor is any good he / she will show you how to use the g/box and if they don,t then they are not worth bothering with as a company.

You will be asked to show how you handle the vehicle on a normal drive of usually about 1/2 hr or so on various roads to show you can drive the vehicle in a safe manner that is all they want from you as you are not on test as such like your driving test so just relax and don,t worry about making mistakes just be normal and safe.

Good Luck

Thanks NEJ, I was just getting a bit worried bowt slapover, splitter etc although i heard hgv’s must have splitter style box now for test.

Will post how I get on when get home 2moz then bit of sleep and off to work nights how exciting.

cheers

Mike

never driven the volvo i-shift, but if its the scania opticruise box youre laughing, theres a stalk to the right of the steering wheel, just flick the end of the stalk away from you into drive, take off as you would normally by easing off the clutch, and then let the truck decide the gears for you until you figure out how to flick it up and down yourself, itll come easily enough to you after a few minutes. just dont forget to clutch when youre stopping at lights etc

I got my licence with Truk Warrington. It was not long time ago (a littlebit more than a year). They had Scania rigid and Volvo(I believe it was 51 plate) artic then, and I think they still have them.

In both of these vehicles they had 4 over 4 gearbox. (trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24700)

For me company was allright. My instructors name was Neil. As far as I remember there was also guy called Nigel there.

They used to do practical tests in Bredbury test centre (next to Stockport).
Only problem I can remember was they their yard wasn’t big, and to do proper reversing practice we used to go to other branch in Bolton.

Good luck…

O.K had assessment 2day, in response yard wasn’t that big, was driving a scania rigid with 4 over 4 range box, mastered that quite easily. instructor said when we returned that I had 1 serious fault and about 12 minors, which was not bad considering I have never driven vehicle that size before or used range box. He was surprized when we were driving that I havn’t driven before, my overall performance in truck was excellent and thinks I should fly through course no problem. obv few areas will need to be worked upon but overall excellent.

lol was smiling all the way home and still on a high now just need to get some funds together now for training.

glad you had fun :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Did you see the links to the gearboxes inside the pre training tips link which is in my signature below :question:

Yeah Rog thaks got then found really usefull to read the theory side of things so I wasn’t thrown in at the deep end as much

cheers