Oh Jeez, driving assessment for local council job

Any of you chaps or lasses had to take a driver assessment for a job with the local council?

I’m shatting it a little, driving test all over again :unamused:

Anyhow, any idea what I can expect… :question:

:blush:

Forgot to mention, is a bin wagon…

Dusty321:
Any of you chaps or lasses had to take a driver assessment for a job with the local council?

I’m shatting it a little, driving test all over again :unamused:

Anyhow, any idea what I can expect… :question:

:blush:

Forgot to mention, is a bin wagon…

If auto then I have driven one - zb stick is set wrong way round for logic - pull back to go forward and push forward to go back - weird

As for assessment - they will be looking for a SAFE LEGAL SMOOTH drive with you being as convenient as possible to other road users - they will not expect the DSA type drive but if that is the only way you know, then do a test type drive.

Also dont wash and carry a sunday sport :laughing:

Smooth application of throttle on dust carts … or you will upset him lol

I do assessments for local authorities where i live.

The worst thing is those dusty bin carts need smooth acceleration or you throw all those in cab all over the place…

Specially when you are approaching a roundabout and you check and its clear if you accellerate hard it will kick down a gear…ARGHHHHHHH … be smooooooth

hello dusty
i drive a bin lorry, only just started a couple months ago so the assessment is still fresh to me.

my assessment lasted bout 45 mins, he took me on maybe a 15 - 20 mile round trip. It was easy, not at all like a driving test. They just wanna make sure youi drive safely. They wont penalise you for not looking in your mirrors a thousand times. I didnt even do any manouvers.

The main things to remember is that they are automatics so the acceleration is very slow which means at roundabouts and junctions you absolutley have to make sure its clear. Also they have quite a bit of overhang so just compensate for that. Other than that its a piece of pi**

the only problem for me is that after the novelty of the decent hours has worn off the job gets quite boring and repetative. Im only on a temp contract till december hopefully by then i’ll have my class 1. Quite fancy doing some continent work.

good luck

Thanks for the tips chaps!!!

No such worries with the auto’s, I drive Arriva’s crappy fleet and they ain’t the quickest motor on 6 wheels, in fact I was in one yesterday that only shifted 2 gears, so for a 30 minute route It was stuck in 1st/2nd screaming its nuts off, the Wayfarer was goosed, add that to the heat of the day made for a very crappy drive/day…

Roll on new job!

Thanks chaps…

the job gets quite boring and repetitive

tramp, do you have the luxury of a radio in the cab?

Dusty321:
tramp, do you have the luxury of a radio in the cab?

yes i do although reception isnt up to much. good luck with new job.