COUNCIL DRIVER

hi peeps im driving dustcar for council since oct 2010,so about 8 months,but fed up with jumping in and out every minute its a pain…, and reversing 10 times in a hour,just was wondering about some other job but dont know what it can be, coucil job is preety secure along with pension etc,im on 20k a year so what you reckon worth a risk?

stick to what you have security etc, maybe try getting on to a different deptt like street works etc

I work for a builders merchant and like it, the pay isn’t quite 20k but get my own lorry and theres still lots of tight places to go but should imagine theres less ■■■■■■■ about compared to bin lorries. I personally dont know how people could do that job, you’ve no choice but to block the road alot of the time so then you get people shouting, tight arse places to get into all the time, cars parked in the way etc.

Stay where you areski :unamused:

Saaamon:
I work for a builders merchant and like it, the pay isn’t quite 20k but get my own lorry and theres still lots of tight places to go but should imagine theres less [zb] about compared to bin lorries. I personally dont know how people could do that job, you’ve no choice but to block the road alot of the time so then you get people shouting, tight arse places to get into all the time, cars parked in the way etc.

yeh thats it lots of stress loaders want to finish early so they expect you to drive fast,revese fast etc
im driving a few types of lorries there, back wheels turn and not, and job is task and finish so faster you finish thats you done but i have to drive thru verrry narrow streets always give a hand to lads and jump back and jump out again…,want to try something else like long distance work,may do C+E verry soon,then i have more chances than with C only but then i have no experience…

I’d say go with a company driving rigids that run artics aswell because you WILL at some point be asked to drive it. I love having my own lorry, would hate to be in and out of different trucks everyday, its good because i can leave my maps, sat-nav in there etc. I think we are through the worst of the ■■■■ now and if a company is employing full time drivers its probably because they really need them.

For what it’s worth, I think you should invest in CE. You may or may not get a CE job straight away but it will greatly improve your job potential within C to start with. That gets round the experience thing. Try to get your CE, then a job driving C on a mixed C and CE fleet. That way you have a natural progression.

Having said all that, you may drop straight into a dream CE job - but just in case … :laughing: :laughing:

yeh will do C+E this year see how it goes,but its hard to find job if u allready got one cos you dont want to tell your emploer that you leavin until you 100% sure that you have another one,they asking for references and you have to give current job details,and its crap to be honest.som comapnies need people straight away and you need to give notice in your job,square cirlcle thats what it is!!! today i started at 6.15 and finished at 3pm ,and i was asked to be loader because they said so,but im driver anyway.im looking for driving job and may just leave within one day…cos im driver not loader! what a crap! :slight_smile:) cheers for reply chaps

do some agency at weekends
then you will get an idea how green the grass really isnt