Bin lorries

spoke to a agency today and they told me they may be able to get me work with the local council driving their bin waggons.
HAs anybody had experience of working with bin lorries? Thanks

Yes.

My first job driving commercially was on agency doing bin lorries for a local council 15 miles away. It was great, I loved it, and I’ve since been back to do it again. Varied routes every day if you can imagine, you pick up some runs that you absolutely detest and certain streets as they go on forever but otherwise it’s very enjoyable and great craic. Work is ridiculously easy as well and it gets you used to how the truck handles and performs empty and full a couple of times per day.

You will be required to tip the rubbish out of the back of the truck in a landfill site or waste site, but all of this will be showed to you. There are emergency stop buttons in the cab and cameras and you will do your best to make sure you monitor these at all times. Bins can sometimes fall off the pins and into the back so you would use the emergency stop in an occasion like that.

Other than that, it’s great reversing practice and a very enjoyable easy job. I wish you the best of luck with it!

what are the start and finish times on bin lorrys, on avarage ? how much money an hour could you expect to get ?

depends where your based mate but as sam said its enjoyable and good experience

I started at 0600 and finished at 1400, and was on £10 per hour.

Grab it with both hands - you can always leave if its not your thing.

Local authorities are way better than the Biffa’s of this world and doors sometimes tend to open employment wise if you are a good timekeeper and don’t keep reversing into lamposts and such like.

Six am starts are about right and if you are lucky it can be job and knock - get your work done and off home you go - full days money always paid regardless. No tacho, just Log Book to fill in, probably uniform, boots, waterproofs etc after a while (once you are in the other blokes will sort you out)

Lots of nerve jangling reversing in very tight spots but ask the loaders to watch you through if you feel unsure. Tipping is straightforward, once you have done it once its a doddle. Bank holidays can be good earners wages wise but remember everyone else will be at home in bed when you start work making cul de sacs and narrow streets a challenge to say the least!

I had 4 years on bin wagons and loved it…4am start till jobs finished…usually about dinner time…but was paid for 45 hrs and was on 26k…made redundant :frowning: