decisions decisions

Hi all. Been on the bins for the council for last couple yrs as a loader but did me class 2 January hoping to get out of the back breaking but havnt had a sniff of the drivers seat yet, so been looking for other work. Got a choice, parcel delivering with a transit 7till7 with 1 Saturday a month or Monday Friday tramping with an 18tonner. Parcels 18100k p.yr. Tramping 8 quid n hr self employed…both wanting me to start ASAP. Dont know what to do any help would be much appreciated. Bins 7.88 p hr as a loader… 8.50 driving (lucky if Id get 2 days a month) 8 till 4. West Wales so little work opportunity…

Anyone got any advice for me please? Cheers

I advise you to not work for less than £9 ph

Welcome, btw :smiley:

Bit of a tricky one as you say - but good on you for wanting to make progress and move on.

Don’t have personal experience in your area, but am I right in thinking that bins driving is a bit like dead men’s shoes? Hence the apparent lack of opportunities?
As for the tramping, that looks to be a really low wage, especially on a self-employed basis.
So, on the surface, it looks like the parcel delivery is a more of a winner.

However, I would say you have to think more along the lines of what you want to be doing x number of years from now…
In other words, if you would ultimately like to do the bins driving, and it would probably be a long-term job when you get it don’t forget, then you might have to make short-term sacrifices - BUT having made your employer fully aware of your goals, and getting as much an assurance as is possible from them that you get a bite at the cherry when it comes along.

On the other hand, that Class 2 tramping, if you can stomach the wages for a bit, might turn into something better in the future if it’s a good company?
We do hear about firms putting people through their Class 1 on here for example - so do you think that is even a possibility?
Or is it agency work, and hence the self-employed bit?

As for parcels, I know people who make decent money at it once they get going, but I really think it’s down to whether you like that style of ‘driver’ - ie running round all day like a blue-arsed fly doing a million drops :open_mouth:
Not my cup of tea for sure.

Good luck and I’m sure they’ll be a few with direct experience along soon to help you out more…
Jon

cheers for the welcome and the responses :smiley:
some might say leaving a full time local authority job is a definite no no, but yes bins day in day out is just mind numbing, no real prospects and any old monkey can do it. holiday pay sick pay decent hours hmm its a tough decision none the less. The fact that down here in wet west wales there are very little HGV jobs around, especially for the noobie…ok im a relief driver for the council but stop start every 5 yards isn’t really driving apart from to and from your last pickup…so reason for looking at this tramping lark is to get a bit of experience under me belt. 8 quid n hr is pretty low I know but as mentioned not many other opportunities. Its a local family run business where the son drives the artic and potentially I will drive the rigid. The thing that concerns me is the self employed part as HMRC may consider me just and employee as its their wagon and their set collections/drops with me just going along with it. I don’t know how insurance and rest of it will work out. Its pretty much guaranteed work Monday to Friday so should be relatively good income, just unsure with tax and NI etc…doing a trial Tuesday to Friday next week see how I like it…I did a days trial on the parcels last week and found it to be ok, 70 drops average driving locally so know the area roughly but obviously just a bloody van driver essentially.
cheers guys
andy

as with everybody, just want a stable income and not too shabby a job… the bins has its perks, i.e nabbing cables from the back for me scrapman mate and the odd antique but that really isn’t a winning factor. SOME days are easy, most im lifting 8 tonne of other ppls rubbish by myself and don’t want to end up like the hunch back of notredamn. I think if I prove my worth with this tramping job they would probably contribute towards me class 1 so I can be relief for the son. never been self employed so have no idea what to expect… always been waiting till end of the month for me wongo…whereas this is weekly. also ill add an ingredient, the parcels job I can take van home for -70 of me wages a month and the 18tonner I can take home weekends so mileage not an issue… although Ive read mileage is good for claiming back whilst self employed…

Ha I realise this isnt a place for dear deirdre just good old advice section

andyo. Welcome fella. Tramping is the correct route. You will get tons of experience in all aspects. Driving,route planning,tachograph awareness,getting in and out of tricky situations etc.

Take no notice of the ■■■■■■■■ advice about £9 per hour. The job pays what it pays. Simples.

Its far more important to gain experience and build up your career. Do it for a few months and see how you enjoy it. If you do,you may want to consider getting fat and lazy and do your CE. (More cash,more waistline).

Har :wink: cheers pal… Not if I can help it, the dow can roll but the belly staying in!

If I did do it for a couple months, would Mr waxman require anything as id have earnt under the 10k whatever threshold…

By the time you have put all your expenses against your earnings,you will pay very little ’ wax ’ to the Waxman over the year.

eagerbeaver:
By the time you have put all your expenses against your earnings,you will pay very little ’ wax ’ to the Waxman over the year.

I also hate it when he turns up each and every year - damned Mr.Waxman.
What ‘currency’ do you pay him in though?

monopoly :smiley:

I would stay in my current job on the bins and save up for my class one. There are more opportunities then.

So im 3 weeks in and have already covered every corner of the country pretty much…on a whole am enjoying the experience. 05 plate eurocargo a good motor but a bit tired…had to sort the bunk out but am relatively comfortable now…dammed fridge lorries though! You know who you are.! Heywood DC have a separate Park for them which is great,shame other places don’t follow suit…So ye glad I have given it a go…wasting time at collections and drop offs just to get a few more hrs in so money steady… Good accountant on the phone tomorrow to hopefully save me some wonga from going in the waxmans pocket at the end of the year… Ok 10 10 c u on the highway

Good on you mate.

andyo:
Hi all. Been on the bins for the council for last couple yrs as a loader but did me class 2 January hoping to get out of the back breaking but havnt had a sniff of the drivers seat yet, so been looking for other work. Got a choice, parcel delivering with a transit 7till7 with 1 Saturday a month or Monday Friday tramping with an 18tonner. Parcels 18100k p.yr. Tramping 8 quid n hr self employed…both wanting me to start ASAP. Dont know what to do any help would be much appreciated. Bins 7.88 p hr as a loader… 8.50 driving (lucky if Id get 2 days a month) 8 till 4. West Wales so little work opportunity…

For gods sake stay on the bins. You have holiday pay sickness pay and probably contributing to a pension and you are on £7.88 per hour. Give that up for £8 self employed which means you should start a limited company as umbrellas are a con. Ltd company on £8 per hour you are working for less than a fiver an hour = madness. That is bad enough but to do it tramping where you have got more expences is just a big NO NO

Don’t listen to any idiot telling you to go for that!

Yes I know common sense would say to stay with the local authority, however anyone lifted min 8 tonne a day of other ppls ■■■■ by themselves ? Hmm doubtful and im not talkin ■■■■ easy wheelbins im talking bags 20-25k a piece full if nappies…an im 6ft 3 so… Ha plus just got early voluntary retirement letter in post…im 29 so a sure sign of things to come with the councils…