Could be upsetting for some

news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Techno … 5315284843

Lot of car drivers will be lost… :grimacing: :grimacing:

There are 31 active GPS satellites and they think they are gonna fail by 2010 :laughing: :laughing:

This reminds me of the time all the worlds computers were going to crash in 2000 :unamused:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i don’t actually like the amount of new drivers using it anyway especially in lorries. i think all new lorry drivers should learn how to map read and route planning and how to estimate journey times which to be fair all go hand in hand with each other. its no good all these new lorry drivers setting off on a journey with no idea where they are going apart from a GPS gadget in front of them telling them to turn left and right, they should have the basic principals to start with.

IL stick my neck out here and i would go as far to say that if i was employing 2 young drivers each with the same caliber but one had maps and one had sat nav then map boy would get the job.

jessicas dad:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i don’t actually like the amount of new drivers using it anyway especially in lorries. i think all new lorry drivers should learn how to map read and route planning and how to estimate journey times which to be fair all go hand in hand with each other. its no good all these new lorry drivers setting off on a journey with no idea where they are going apart from a GPS gadget in front of them telling them to turn left and right, they should have the basic principals to start with.

IL stick my neck out here and i would go as far to say that if i was employing 2 young drivers each with the same caliber but one had maps and one had sat nav then map boy would get the job.

What I don`t understand, is why do Chavs / Chavettes need a satnav to go and get some ■■■■ from the corner shop which is 100 mtrs away ■■? + also do it at 95 MPH in a 30 zone ■■?

Am I missing something ■■?

No worries, the Russians and the Chinese have got loads of satalites, but its gonna cost to use there system. Even the Indians have got more than us, and as for those sneaky Israelies well that will really Cost us. My Boy.

the EU was supposed to be putting up satelites
so as to reduce the dependance on the yanks

sat nav will work as map without any signal
so no need to panic Mr Mainwaring

i would go one step further JD. map reading should be a basic skill for driving any vehicle so i would include it as part of a theory test for a car licence. i still wont touch sat nav. i have my maps and my mobile. if my map doesnt work, yell.com or google usually gives me a map or phone number.
i guess next year the number of cars in rivers or railway tracks will be reduced and the number of trucks stuck in narrow lanes will also be reduced :smiling_imp: :laughing:

When I was in the Scouts I could read a map using proper coordinates and a compass, none of this fancy satnav or A2Zs there… :laughing:

Nothing wrong with using a sat nav, it is a great tool if used with common sense.
It is just as good as using a paper map, with a paper map you choose your route and write down the roads you need to follow, the satnav does almost the same, you enter your destination and it sets a route for you. You can view the map in the satnav and change the route if you don’t want to use the route the satnav chose.
You have to remember that most satnavs are designed for cars and not lorries so use common sense.
If you end up stuck down a lane or drowning in a river its your driving to blame not the satnav.

bubsy06:
Nothing wrong with using a sat nav, it is a great tool if used with common sense.
It is just as good as using a paper map, with a paper map you choose your route and write down the roads you need to follow, the satnav does almost the same, you enter your destination and it sets a route for you. You can view the map in the satnav and change the route if you don’t want to use the route the satnav chose.
You have to remember that most satnavs are designed for cars and not lorries so use common sense.
If you end up stuck down a lane or drowning in a river its your driving to blame not the satnav.

yes but there the problem lies…people dont have the experiance or common sense not to go down these country lanes or rivers. ive had moments where i have been undecided wether to go for it or not and sometimes due to experiance ive have taken the chance or sometimes i have tried a different route. if you had looked at the map and seen your dodgy B road filter out into a white line on your map then you know you are going to be in trouble or sometimes ive looked down the road and thought no chance but novices armed only with a tom tom have gone for it and then realise they dont have the experiance to get themselves out of the situation.

i mean its not just newbies that are like this bit seasoned drivers with 20 years experiance have suddenly been converted to the techno world and jumped fully on board.

ive got 3 sat nav’s but wouldnt bother me at all if i had to go back to maps.

I have been using satnav for 6 years and would hate to go back to maps mainly due to storage and cost, The reason people struggle with sat nav is simply becouse they don’t know how to use it!!! I use tomtom it takes seconds to browse it as a map and see if it is sending you a suitable way, Sometimes if i know the area well i will plan the route browse map have a look at were the destination is and switch it off and drive there.

I find it amazing people can blame sat nav for getting stuck at the end of the day it IS a electric map, you can browse it as a map, wright on it like a map etc, etc Just becouse some numpty thinks he has to turn left becouse Jayne said so is not really Sat Navs fault

That said if i ever find myself on narrow roads heading for a difficult drop i hide the sat nav just incase :wink:

Keeping on track hope it doesn’t fail credit crunch and all i can’t afford to get up to date maps

EDIT : Double post stupid technology :smiley:

sat nav is a by product of the american war machine. can you imagine how the american army would cope without it? they’d fire their missiles at anyone not with precision like they do now :smiley:

Mr B:
sat nav is a by product of the american war machine. can you imagine how the american army would cope without it? they’d fire their missiles at anyone not with precision like they do now :smiley:

My old Dad, God bless him, used to tell me, when he was in WW2, when the Germans started firing we ducked, when we started firing the Germans ducked and when the Yanks started firing Everybody Ducked. :smiley:

It’s not only Sat-Nav’s that use GPS satellites. Ship’s also use them, if the satellites do come down it will be back to the old days of navigation.
Some of you might not make it across the Channel or the Irish Sea!!!

Sat-nav has got a bad reputation because of crap drivers blaming it when they get stuck. :imp:

it won’t happen, it’s just the US military playing games to get a budget increase !

I have mine on all the time but not always to find somewhere but because it calculates my driving time. Great for working out when I need to stop for a break . Finally got rid of my Big time timer that used to go off in my bag everytime I looked at it!

jessicas dad:
map boy would get the job.

Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, MAP BOY!

This is 29 Acacia Road.
And this is Eric, who leads an exciting double-life.
For when Eric eats a map book, an amazing transformation occurs.
Eric is MAP BOY, ever alert for the call for directions :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ll get my coat :exclamation: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

pecjam23:

jessicas dad:
map boy would get the job.

Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, MAP BOY!

This is 29 Acacia Road.
And this is Eric, who leads an exciting double-life.
For when Eric eats a map book, an amazing transformation occurs.
Eric is MAP BOY, ever alert for the call for directions :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ll get my coat :exclamation: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

wtf :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: