Cost's For Training

Now be serious…

What do you think the cost of LGV Training should be per day ?

Based on 8am- 4pm with 2 Learners in the cab…

There’s a place on t’internet near Nottingham, charge £45 an hour for 1 to 1.

So, that would be £22.50 for 2 folks.

At 8 hours a day that would be £180 per person.

That doesn’t seem to outrageous to me, given the costs of owning and running a truck, plus the experience and responsibility of teaching someone to drive safely and correctly.

Wozzer:
There’s a place on t’internet near Nottingham, charge £45 an hour for 1 to 1.

So, that would be £22.50 for 2 folks.

£900 for a 5 day course - not bad that

Wozzer:
… responsibility of teaching someone to drive safely and correctly.

You forgot the words ‘TRYING TO’ in some cases :exclamation: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

£905.63 for 5 days inc test sounded ok to me.
£1300 for rigid (4 days) + operater cpc + ‘free’ artic sounded too good to be true, and after reading the very small print it was.

I’d obviously prefer to pay less or have a deal where if I payed for rigid and artic at same time I’d get HIAB/ADR thrown in/substantially reduced.

Yes - I would say that is pretty spot on.

Rate when I was recently in Glasgow for 2-1 8am-4pm was £125+VAT. Plus test fee on 5th day.

MADBAZ:
I’d obviously prefer to pay less or have a deal where if I payed for rigid and artic at same time I’d get HIAB/ADR thrown in/substantially reduced.

Hi MADBAZ, I’d say you’ll struggle to get HIAB/ADR “thrown in,” but you might be able to negotiate a bit of a discount if you book everything you want to do at the same time.:grimacing:

Not all LGV training schools offer HIAB/ADR though, as it might not be part of their core business. On the other hand, I work for a number of ADR providers who wouldn’t dream of getting involved in LGV tuition. I’d say it would probably pay you to carefully shop around…

Depending where you are in the country, I might be able to offer some suggestions… :wink:

I am paying just over £1100 for a 5 day + test 1-to-1 Cat C with Coates (£183 per day).

Hope that helps

Cheers

NB

NewBlood:
I am paying just over £1100 for a 5 day + test 1-to-1 Cat C with Coates (£183 per day).

curious - how many behind the wheel hours is that and for what length of day :question: :question:

4 for 1-to-1 and 8 for 2-to-1.

Cheers

New Blood

Half a day at at time then??

£45.50 an hour.

Hope that helps

NB

I’m not 100% on this but think we can offer the best rate in the country, with us (tockwith training) you receive 7.5 hours 1-to-1 training each day for £250+vat this works out at £33+vat per hour. Much less than most schools doing 2-to-1 and half days, plus you will be on a very modern vehicle and with a DSA registered instructor with many years experience. Is this the best value in the country? I would like to see someone beat it!

So the our 4 day course equals 30 hours training for £1175 inc vat

The J Coates course equals 20 hours training for £1100 inc vat?

So for £75 more you get an extra 10 hours with us!! Just shows how some companies are tricking customers into thinking its good value with half days. The only reason we don’t do half days is because in our opinion is not enough time unless its over 2 weeks.

In our 38 years experience a very good driver requires 30 hours minimum to pass, an average driver requires 37.5 (5 whole days) this is why our pass rate is nearly 80% and others are below 40%

Maybe we can start a thread on here for the lowest prices by hour for all the companies in the UK, I expect someone in Scotland can somehow under cut ours cost buts unless they run on farmers diesel I can’t see how its possible.

Tockwith Training:
with us (tockwith training) you receive 7.5 hours 1-to-1 training each day .

How many behind-the-wheel hours is that :question: :question:

Can most trainees keep up a good level of concentration in regard to the answer for the question above :question: :question:

PS - you sure this don’t break site advertising rules ?

Tockwith Training wrote:-

our pass rate is nearly 80%

Yeah right!

I thought blatant advertising on forums was not allowed!

£33+vat per hour < standard rate where I am based N.Manchester all the driving schools base there tuition on the above price some do 1:1 others 2:1 which ever suits…
In respect of Rogs question In my opinion having done 2:1 and 1:1 I prefered the 1:1 and yes these were full 7.5 hr days obv you had breaks in between… Some might say that you are effectivley paying them for doing nothing, in a way I suppose you are but I did find it hard and I was only quoted 12 hrs inc test but decided on doing 16 to make sure. So if I was to do 20 I think I would have had a break down :smiley: However I will stick by the 1:1 as I gained much more out of it than sitting watching someone else do the driving horses for courses.

Quote:
Tockwith Training wrote:-

our pass rate is nearly 80%

Yeah right!

I thought blatant advertising on forums was not allowed!

Exactly. That is why I have not joined in with our prices. Rikki might tell us off :open_mouth:

Always be careful when looking at prices

Some companies quote without VAT
Some companies quote without the tests fee
Some companies qoute including the hours you do for test are training hours

Always get a fully inclusive price and ask what you are getting for your money

If you look at Coates price of £1100 you need to take of the £105.00 test fee and then break it down to 24 hours that you would probably get including the test time which leaves only £42 inc vat per hour.

I would not of thought that was a bad price compared to what you have to pay a plumber nowadays.

Got a price from my GP for my renewal medical yesterday. He wanted £120 for a 20 min appointment. £360 per hour !!!

I better not reply to much to the tockworth post or i may get banned from the forum.

7.5 hour day hmmmmm Minus Dinner and a break in the morning and afternoon no doubt…

I would presume an hour for dinner and a break morning and afternoon.

So 8.30am to 16.00pm ? they probably start at 8.30 daily checks etc… leave at 9 … mid morning break … dinner … afternoon break… back in the yard for 3.30 debrief…

In my humble opinion the learner would do aproximatly 5 hour’s driving a day. (With these people ) Maybe the test fee they state on their site needs updating.

And displaying pictures of BRAND NEW trucks is misleading. ?

Ok rant over …

Evening Folks,
Can i just jump in on this one? I’ve just done my C+E with Tockwith Training and i can say they are first class! :astonished:
The days training was supposed to be from 08.30 until 1600. On my first day my instructor said do you want any tea/lunch breaks? i said i’m not bothered, good was the reply we will stop for a cuppa in the morning, 20mins for lunch and no tea brake in the afternoon. :confused: This was fine with me as i was on a 2 days and 10.30 test on the 3rd morning course. On the 2nd and 3rd day my instructor asked if i could get in for 0800 as we need to get in as much practice as we can…fine with me! :astonished: The days normally ended up back in the yard doing a couple un/couple and reversing exercise, if i was still doing an exercise at 1600 we just carried on until it was finished! :blush:
So, from my experience Tockwith training DO provide a 1st class course with plenty on time on the road. As for the price, we all hate shelling out the reddies, but its well worth it when you get that test pass! :smiley:
Regards Smokinbarrels :smiley: