Cost of Training

I had a driving assessment a few days ago with a training provider, they said over all my driving is not too bad as I have experience of driving large vehicles, they suggested a 3 day course with my test on the third day, I was quoted 1600.00 for the course and test, I just wonderd if this was about right, I will be booking an assessment with a different local training provider shortly just to compare and see what vehicle best suites me, by the way the course I was quoted for consists of 7 hours per day.

Personally I would not want to do 7 hours a day.

4 hours a day (class2)was pushing it concentration wise and my arse and back ached.

I’m now doing 3 hours a day over 6 days and test on my 7th day for my c+e and think this is a good set up.

Also 1600 sounds like a lot

If you actually need 21 hours before you’re ready for CAT C test I’d be most surprised. It’s absolutely the case that no-one should ever skimp on training time but I note from your signature that you’ve already taken and passed 3 vocational tests. Perhaps there is an element of “making sure” in the assessment.

Compare it with the fact that we train car driver to CAT C in 14 hours on a regular basis with brilliant results, I really cant get the 21 hours. We normally succeed in a case like yours in around 8 hours.

I would suggest you compare as you have already said. This is always good advice as you have nothing to compare with otherwise.

If you want to give us a try you’re more than welcome. As a Trucknet user you also get 10% discount.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for your info Dave and Pete, the company I went to said I could do it on a 2 day course but if I needed a retest it would be a further 600.00, I have another local company in mind, I have my theory and HP this week then all been well I will move forward, Pete if I don’t sort something local I will give you a shout.

£1600 is a lot. I did a 3 day C course and that only cost £800… Shop around mate!

£600 for a retest! I’d go elsewhere mate

I did a 5 day with test on the 5th day and dos 4 hours a day on the other 4 days. I payed £1171 with test inc

Which training school was that who quoted 1600 ?

Agree with above 600 for a retest is silly money

£600 for retest is sort of blackmail IMO. Ours is £270 with any retraining BOGOF.

If the OP cant get this done and out of the way well below £1000 I would be most surprised.

ROG:

It was tockwith training near York.

Peter Smythe:
£600 for retest is sort of blackmail IMO. Ours is £270 with any retraining BOGOF.

If the OP cant get this done and out of the way well below £1000 I would be most surprised.

For a retest they quoted £400.00 for use of vehicle for the day + vat £80.00 + test £115.00 =£595.00.

I would like to thank everyone for your input in to this, although I know the cheapest is not always the best but I will shop about,

In Hull you get 4 blocks of 4 hours, a pre drive and test for 955… 1600 is way too much in my eyes and a retest is 199 including 2 hour pre drive

Look at this way you could technically fail 3 pass last test and you’d still be just under the 1600 mark

As a comparison for you I charge £1150 including vat and test fee (4 day course) retest is £355.

Hope this helps.

stevie1958:

ROG:

Seems excessively high for them … you sure you heard it right ?

ROG:

stevie1958:

ROG:

Seems excessively high for them … you sure you heard it right ?

Hi Rog, yes they wrote it down on one of there cards, they also explained the cost to me.
This consists of 2.5 days training with test on the afternoon of the third day; @ £400.00 per day = £1200.00 + vat £240.00 + test fee £115.00 = £1555.00

elmet training:
As a comparison for you I charge £1150 including vat and test fee (4 day course) retest is £355.

Hope this helps.

Thank you that seems a very realistic price.

That sound really expensive. I did 4 hours a day training with Scania, test on the 5th day for just under 1200 all inclusive. I failed first attempt and a retest was 300 inclusive and passed. Unlike you, I had no previous experience with lgvs.

Shop around as previous posters have suggested.