Cooker recommendations/What cooker do you have?

I desperately need a new cooker, im after a two burner one that can be run off a little gas bottle. Found one online that i like but just wondered what you guys use?

Simon.

Saaamon:
I desperately need a new cooker,
Simon.

You can have mine. It’s 5 foot tall (and round), noisy as [zb] and costs a fortune to run :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I imagine it’s probably cheaper nowadays to buy two “suitcase-type” one-ring burners than a double.

Harry Monk:
I imagine it’s probably cheaper nowadays to buy two “suitcase-type” one-ring burners than a double.

Maybe cheaper to buy the cookers but those things are very very heavy on gas. My two ring with grill cost £50 from Argos and the type 907 Camping Gaz refills I buy from Go Outdoors for £20 last about 3 or so months, and I’m a heavy user. That suddenly makes those gas bottles in the suitcase cookers look very expensive. And what with the poster being in a Scania the two ring Camping Gaz stove fits nicely on the folded up passenger seat. Ps dont forget you’ll need to pay a deposit on the gas bottle which you’ll get back when you return it for good. But overall its the pretty much the cheapest way to cook short of having a full size Calor Gas bottle in the cab, which my crazy father used to have.

switchlogic:

Harry Monk:

Maybe cheaper to buy the cookers but those things are very very heavy on gas. My two ring with grill cost £50 from Argos and the type 907 Camping Gaz refills I buy from Go Outdoors for £20 last about 3 or so months, and I’m a heavy user. That suddenly makes those gas bottles in the suitcase cookers look very expensive. And what with the poster being in a Scania the two ring Camping Gaz stove fits nicely on the folded up passenger seat. Ps dont forget you’ll need to pay a deposit on the gas bottle which you’ll get back when you return it for good. But overall its the pretty much the cheapest way to cook short of having a full size Calor Gas bottle in the cab, which my crazy father used to have.

I’ve got a suitcase style one now and its a pain in the arse to be fair, does yours rest on the seat without moving whilst driving?

Put it behind your seat under a pillow anywhere…They aren’t that big.

I love proper cooking for two or more, but when it’s just for me I microwave it. It might cost more in diesel to run the engine while the microwave is running but there’s a lot to be said for being hungry and eating a piping hot meal four minutes later. Waitrose do some pretty good microwave meals for considerably less cost than a McD.

Mine has a ridge either end so i pop it on some non slip mat with one ridge over back of seat to stop it going forward under excessive breaking and it never moves. Worth its weight in gold in my opinion

bigvern1:
Put it behind your seat under a pillow anywhere…They aren’t that big.

No room as i carry spare water behind the seat, got abit of room in the footwell but wouldnt be ideal.

Harry Monk:
I love proper cooking for two or more, but when it’s just for me I microwave it. It might cost more in diesel to run the engine while the microwave is running but there’s a lot to be said for being hungry and eating a piping hot meal four minutes later. Waitrose do some pretty good microwave meals for considerably less cost than a McD.

Mines broken at the moment and dont really fancy paying out for a new one just yet, there about £400 :open_mouth: .

switchlogic:
Mine has a ridge either end so i pop it on some non slip mat with one ridge over back of seat to stop it going forward under excessive breaking and it never moves. Worth its weight in gold in my opinion

Yeah ok that sounds like a good idea, dont really have the space for to keep one in the footwell etc.

Harry Monk:

^^^This

Thetaff:

Harry Monk:

^^^This

Mines currently broken, but still though, i quite like cooking and theres lots of thing you cant do in a microwave.

i just have a single suitcase one and i have a wok and one saucepan, can’t remember the last time i used the saucepan, the wok does everything i need really, ribeye steak last night with a nice stirfry to go with it, night before lamb chops and some mixed veg, must admit dined out tonight for a change :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

There are indeed lots of things you can’t do in a microwave, not to mention that most ready meals are overloaded with salt and fat. I enjoy cooking for one. Only ever eat ready meals as a last resort and even then don’t find them very satisfying.

Twin burner & grill for me , with half size calor bottle it will work outside the cab too(when in countries that are warm and dry) the edge of the catwalk makes a good work top to put it on, or if the trl is empty or not sealed one door open and use the floor or if you have a taillift even better,

quote=“Harry Monk”]I imagine it’s probably cheaper nowadays to buy two “suitcase-type” one-ring burners than a double.
[/quote]

kerching!!!

billybigrig:

Saaamon:
I desperately need a new cooker,
Simon.

You can have mine. It’s 5 foot tall (and round), noisy as [zb] and costs a fortune to run :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I use the 24 volt electric oven ,that does ready meals and heats other fresh foods .i use it in conjunction with 2 gas burnes (suitcase type) and cook loads of different stuff. good combination in my opinion. :slight_smile: