Container demurage

today I loaded at ascot freight wythenshaw. the load was still being destuffed out of a 40ft box. Got talking to the gaffer, who was a nice talkative sort and he was trying to get the box emptied before the time went beyond 4 hours.
he had 3 hours free,he had allready had to pay for one hour and said that if he kept the truck for one minute longer than 4 hours that would cost him another £60
I dont know which shipping line it was but he did say that cma cgm charge twice as much at £120 per hour.
how much of that trickles down to our level ?
Anyway I thought I would share that with you happy container lorryists. It may come in handy.

It varies from Line to Line, Agent to Agent. In my humble experience the average subby will see the princley sum of £15 - 20 per hour after the initial 3 -4 hour period. :imp:

we get 25 after 3 hours :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I think too many hauliers are scared to charge Demurrage nowadays in case they lose a contract. it used to be the devils own job trying to get someone to sign the tickets with times, sometimes resulting in a stand-off or severe argument.

I have hunted chargehands down with a pipe spanner or refused to move my truck from a loading gantry until they signed our dockets. We allowed 2 hours free to discharge, then it was £25 per hour iirc. That was around 1980. Some places would accept weighbridge tickets as evidence, other customers needed a signed ticket, verified and reported before the truck left site.

Who was that haulier who recently fought Tesco and lost? he tried to make a stand over unacceptable delays to his trucks but unfortunately VOSA got to him first I think.

After 3-4 HOURS? :open_mouth:

Why is it that the hauliers time is not worth being paid for? I guess some will say that unloading is built into the price of the load but I doubt very much that that stacks up. At the end of the day, what other industry would stand for upto a hundred grands worth of kit and a trained employee standing for hours on end UNPAID? Stinks.

You should be paid from the word go and thats the end of it.

hammer:

I don’t agree there, a reasonable amount of time should be priced into the job with an extra charge if that time is exceeded. Obviously the definition of “reasonable” in this context will vary from job to job.

Paul

I know Containerships charge £100 for the first hour over 3 and £50 for every subsequent hour.

What does the subby get? - £15 per hour

You know wrong then. :wink:

I work as a subby for anyone who gives work away in Yorks/Felixstowe and nearly everyone pays £20 ph after 3, I think dhl is £15 but not had to claim it off them. Its a kick in the teeth if you’re on locals and costs you your 2nd job, a complete insult, but talking to two seperate O/Ds on direct for Yang Ming they only get £22 so it just seems to be the accepted way things are, shippers make a bundle out of your truck and throw you a few crumbs (so long as you weren’t 10 mins late and they get off paying anything)

Lucy:
You know wrong then. :wink:

So enlighten us then. .

AFAIK, it’s 35 per hour after 3 on a 40/45ft, or 2 on a 20ft. Even us employed drivers get a tenner of that.

hammer:

Hi hammer, That’s easy for you to say in your job…

:open_mouth: Just pull a lever and it tips whether they like it or not :laughing: :laughing:

I reckon there’s a few hundred folks on here that wish they had that power…:grimacing:

£20 per hour after 3 hours seems about the norm, although i have been known to tell a little white lie when tipping or loading at a customers, it’s suprising how fast they get u done when u say there’s a £100 ph charge! :laughing:

dieseldave:

hammer:

Hi hammer, That’s easy for you to say in your job…

:open_mouth: Just pull a lever and it tips whether they like it or not :laughing: :laughing:

I reckon there’s a few hundred folks on here that wish they had that power…:grimacing:

Dave your right, everyone wants to be a tipperman…I’m living the dream on a daily basis! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just get a tipping skelly trailer.

After 2 hours pull the lever and unload it for them. :laughing:

8wheels:
Just get a tipping skelly trailer.

After 2 hours pull the lever and unload it for them. :laughing:

I had that very thought, the other day ! :smiley: