demurage

Possibly stupid question but after my first ever experience of sitting on a loading bay at a well known supermarket for many hours.

Am presuming the operator gets demurage for this ? Seriously can’t see anyone tolerating it otherwise

No operators that I know of charge any supermarkets demurrage.

Container operators seem to do it though, although again I don’t think they do with supermarkets.

Stand to be corrected by those in that area.

It’s one of the things where this industry should really grow a backbone - I imagine it would stop us being used as additional storage for free for hours upon a time.

Would be intrested to no as surly all those trucks sat on bays for 5-6hrs can’t pay .

I gave them hour and started spitting dummy out but everyone sat there as it’s normal.

Surly if people stood up give them hour or so and departure they can’t stock shelfs,

But same old chestnut no bag bone of the industry.

Every single customer that we work for has it the terms and conditions of contract that anymore than 2 hours to either load or tip a job a demurrage rate of £25 ph becomes payable, it’s always applied regardless of circumstances and always paid

joebloggs:
Every single customer that we work for has it the terms and conditions of contract that anymore than 2 hours to either load or tip a job a demurrage rate of £25 ph becomes payable, it’s always applied regardless of circumstances and always paid

This was my understanding but normally at a higher rate of £50 per hour

joebloggs:

Same here, two hours then demurrage kicks in. £60.00 p.h, but we double man. We rarely have to hang around and the times that we do, it’s known about before hand and priced in as part of the job.

Don’t work for supermarkets though. Since it’s a known problem, I presume it’s reflected back in the p.p.m.

Many years ago used to have my own truck, One plaice i went regularly was Tesco’s Newport south Wales on arriving first time was told to wait, i asked how long they said don’t know. I explained that i would charge demurage after 2 hours low and behold tipped before 2 hours. Never ever had a problem after that.
If all companies did the same you would not be kept waiting and used as storage.

When I worked on boxes,used to have to ring transport after 3 hours,then they would ring the shipping company,

I wish it did not need to be applied and that everyone was turned around in a sensible Time frame , even though we charge it I’m not sure our customers pass it on to there customers if that makes sense, for fear of upsetting them

Even though it may be included in the terms and conditions , especially for supermarket work , I doubted it is charged and if it is doubted it would be paid,
Container work I wouldn’t have a clue about

Welcome to the real world!!!
Demurage my ■■■
Wake up and smell the coffee

£60 per hour for my trucks after 2hrs, my vans are £35 per hour after 30 minutes

and anything that goes into boots at nottingham is £150 per hour after the 1st hour and this gets emails over to them, after i had one of vans in there for 4 hrs with 1 pallet, ever since then IF we go in, ive never had anything in there more than 40 minutes since :grimacing:

To be honest never had problem with boots at Nottingham been in twice this week. in and out less than a hour full load.

No wonder at those demurage prices you can go out buying new DAF

my gaffer charges £85 per hour after 2 hours for a normal artic, it rises to £100 for the hiab ones

scotstrucker:
my gaffer charges £85 per hour after 2 hours for a normal artic, it rises to £100 for the hiab ones

Of course he does!!