Complicated Colleagues

Well, this is kind of an ongoing problem with an existing colleague at work.

Basically; it hasn’t reached anything like this previously.

Came into work this morning to find the yard empty. No other drivers’ vehicles there, so parked up.

Went and found the keys for the truck and did a walk around check of it. Seemed ok, so popped the ignition on, checked the lights and then fired the engine up. Seemed ok.

Returned to the car and got my gear, then popped into the drivers office and picked up the paperwork. Returned to the truck for the second time to find the engine off. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Hmm. I was sure I’d left this running. Obviously haven’t had enough coffee this morning :frowning:

Right. Turned the key. Cranked. Nothing else :open_mouth: Ahh. Right. Hmm. Not working.

Checked; it had 3/4 a tank of fuel. Made sure none of the emergency stops had been stuck in or were sticking at all. Nope. Engine dead, but when I popped in the PTO the hydraulics worked ok. Not totally dead.

Next step. Being rather new to these diesel things (only been driving them 4 years) I rang the engineer. It was 0530. Being Scottish he’s difficult to understand in the morning but with no clattering diesels around :blush: :blush: :blush: to cause problems I seemed to understand him ok. Fine.

Explained the problem. He introduced me to something called “the fuel filter”. :open_mouth: :blush: :unamused: :confused: Oooh, I wondered what that was for, that thingy behind the cab…

Don’t look at me like that. I’m not dense, I just haven’t bothered before. Anyway, he said to prime it. Small pump, press it.

“Ahh, should there be diesel [zb] draining out the bottom…” :unamused: :open_mouth:

That would be a no then. He said he’d come down, so we hung up and I investigated a bit further. Seems there was a drain thingy underneath it, which was loose.

Tightened it up and primed it again. Didn’t leak. That’s a start. :laughing: :laughing:

Primed it a few more times then cranked the engine, after a few turns it crankily coughed into life, let out a bit of smoke and settled into an idle at 700rpm.

Right. Rang the engineer. Explained. He said that it had returned yesterday from a job at 1600 and the only person who had been in overnight (whose truck was parked next to mine when I came in) was a particular driver I’ve been having problems with.

Trundled off to job, seething and the like.

Now; having spoken to my manager any complaint I make will be “hearsay” between the two of is. I have tried to be nice to him but its not me he’s [zb] off. Almost every driver in this depot and 4 other depots I know speak poorly of this driver. Most begging us to keep him away. Those lucky enough to receive phone calls from him either ignore or “call screen”.

The last “incident” was when he seemingly trashed the back end of a unit and then called the regional manager to blame me - who was on holiday apparently. He then rang me and left me a message telling me this. Understandably it upset me, but to my direct manager the engineer was able to back me up as he had prepped this unit for that driver to take out and hadn’t seen the damage; and then the manager hadn’t had a phone call either… :imp: :imp: :imp:

Before I hit him (he’s bigger than me, stronger and I’m allergic to pain) can someone give me some constructive assistance :slight_smile: Pretty please :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :unamused: :unamused:

im sorry but he needs a SLAP :laughing: :wink:

sorry, but I’m a girlie, and I only drive a desk, but he still needs a slap!

■■■ for tat

take all the bulbs out of his lights and snap a couple of old keys of in his locks. grease his door handles.

and if that fails i refer you back to carl answer :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

jon

Confront him its the only way

simon

Carl:
im sorry but he needs a SLAP :laughing: :wink:

Wholeheartedly agree… But then he’s bigger than I am, and I’m 17st! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused:

mrs5l:
sorry, but I’m a girlie, and I only drive a desk, but he still needs a slap!

Yes. I sometime wish that the previous manager had was here. She took no abuse of anyone and had a way with words (and the phonebook if you peeved her off!) :laughing:

Apart from physical abuse, of which would be a serious comeback (and possibly written warning) I don’t want it to come to that yet.

jonboy:
■■■ for tat

take all the bulbs out of his lights and snap a couple of old keys of in his locks. grease his door handles.

and if that fails i refer you back to carl answer :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

jon

Nope. Although theoretically it is “his” assigned truck it’s still the company property and I could be sent out on a job in it.

SimonRS2K:
Confront him its the only way

simon

I have, repeatedly. He ignores me, says it isn’t him, that I’m delusional or other such things.

A couple of weeks ago when I came off a tiring 14h shift I found he had put insulation tape over my car locks.

In a dark yard its difficult enough to see the locks as it is, without [zb] from him!

I’m getting to the end of my tether with him :frowning: :imp: :unamused: :imp:

I’ve started a log of the incidents; time, date, vehicle details, what the problem was, any other pertinant info, and I’ll probably have to put in a written complaint about his behaviour…

However. He’s been saying for months he’s having a transfer down to Devon… But he never seems to get there. At the moment he’s moving to another part of Coventry :frowning:

I shall probably just have to go on ignoring him as best as I can, without interacting with him as much as possible…

Also the other option is to get to my paperwork before he can see what vehicle I’m in or where I’m going… :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Thank you for your suggestions though :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I will have words with the regional manager when I find him again… :laughing:

Stick a pound of sugar in his car and then offer to wash it for him with brake fluid :stuck_out_tongue:

Confront him, let him know in no uncertain terms your on to him and watching, start keeping a note of even minor things wrong, or untoward, let your TM know that you suspect him of sabotage and get them to look into it.

If that fails…give him a slap!

CM:
Confront him, let him know in no uncertain terms your on to him and watching, start keeping a note of even minor things wrong, or untoward, let your TM know that you suspect him of sabotage and get them to look into it.

If that fails…give him a slap!

The latter option seems a positive step forwards. I will ask the RM and the TM to do that for me, as I think they’re getting [zb] off with him as well…

Do your vehicles have double ended electrical suzies? It’s amazing how many go missing overnight and don’t get spotted in the morning…

I was going to suggest something else but I thought better of it.

Qhunter:
Do your vehicles have double ended electrical suzies? It’s amazing how many go missing overnight and don’t get spotted in the morning…

I was going to suggest something else but I thought better of it.

Our units are rigids only… He, like, drives a 7.5t unit. And despite his attitude and his apparent thinking he’s senior to him, I’ve been there longer.

The problem with me is that I’m good at taking orders, but he’s not. He thinks he’s a manager and a driver…

:imp: :unamused: :imp: :unamused:

Send him to Coventry. :wink:

What a ■■■■■

Ok so he’s too big for you to slap :imp:

You don’t want to sabotage his truck :imp:

You could ■■■■ his car :smiling_imp:

You could use a piece of 4 x 2 :bulb: :smiling_imp: cos he won’t be that big.

Or you could just report him to your TM :frowning: keep a diary like you are, then if it gets really bad you could leave and do the firm for constructive dismisal :question: :question:

personally I like the 4x 2 option :bulb: :bulb: :smiling_imp:

Thanks David :slight_smile: :smiley: :smiley: :slight_smile:

make his nose bleed .drop the nut on him

Surely the best way if he’s bigger than you is to wait till you know he is either finishing late or starting early (its getting dark quicker now) and as he walks round his wagon, hit him blinking hard with something very solid. Obviously when there is no one else around :laughing:

Sorry mate but all the above suggestions will be bound to be counter productive. Any verbal abuse or physical violence against him his car or company property will only invite retaliation which will get you no further forward. Also, if you are caught out it could result in your dismissal.

The only way is to make an official written complaint to your TM in the first instance and later if necessary higher up the chain. The company has a duty to protect you from intimidation. One way to prove the case is for a video camera to be set up in your car, truck or the office. It doesn’t have to be good enough for a court, only sufficient to convince your management so they can take appropriate action.

One word of warning though. In many companies unauthorised cameras on the premises are reason for instant dismissal, so go about it the right way.

Best of luck,

Salut, David.

Thanks Spardo :slight_smile:

So far the only non violent offering to sort it out.

We do have CCTV of sorts. There are some camera housings looking into the compound, but they’ve never worked properly. Within days the local kids had nicked the cameras inside the housing and no one has noticed; not that our company has access to images anyway. Hence why we aren’t allowed to lock the cabs, or leave anything valuable in ANY of them.

It also means that drivers can get away with a lot of freedom as well… Including him. Setting up any sort of camera would be complicated in the yard due to the layout of it anyway. If I were to put a complaint in I would have to do it without that sort of backup. However, as the company is aware of his other behaviour then I can use that as backup.

I did mention it to the Acting Area TM yesterday as the reason I was late leaving the yard. She didn’t sound impressed. I didn’t here her swearing under her breath yet… :unamused: :unamused:

Took my paperwork home with me last night so he doesn’t know what I’m in; Hopefully I won’t see him…

Scary stuff.

Don’t know how to tackle this one without giving him a hiding, but fear that it would be counter-productive in the long term.

Have you asked him what it is that is so wrong in his life that makes him behave like this?

I’m no expert, but it sounds to me that this bloke needs psychiatric help!

All the best for sorting this one out chap :wink: