COLA COWBOYS

I,ve hung up my clogs & now I am getting rid of my library ; I’m sticking the Cola Cowboys paperback on ebay . Buy it as an investment & a good read .All the pages are there & so are the photo’s . Its mellowed with age but still in good nick . Have a look on ebay .Its on for seven days starting from now . Postage & insurance are free for UK buyers . End of an epoch . The Diesel is leaving my bloodstream drop by drop ? Good luck . Just get on ebay & type COLA COWBOYS .

This here book walks on Sunday night . But maybe the drivers that would be interested in it have popped their clogs ?

I would love a read at it, but wouldn’t spend £55+ on any book!

I’d like it, the wife told me I wouldn’t like it… :cry:

pete904ni:
I would love a read at it, but wouldn’t spend £55+ on any book!

One guy likes it so much he’s put in 2 bids at the same price ! it will cost me £ 5.40 for safe Insured & tracked postage & about another £5 to ebay but remember this is a collectors item so unless you damage it you will always get your money back & more .The auction will decide on how much its worth ,not me . Next thing you know you will see a copy on the Antiques Road Show ? :slight_smile:

This auction finishes around 15/1600 hrs this afternoon .

harry:
One guy likes it so much he’s put in 2 bids at the same price !

that’s not two bids at the same price :wink: it’s one bid at the price and one auto bid with a higher maximum amount that will rise if the earlier one gets outbid

How much did it go for? I think the last one I saw sold at £140.

Harry Monk:
How much did it go for? I think the last one I saw sold at £140.

£78.03

£78 ; less £3 to Paypal ; £5.40 for postage , & then I suppose eBay will want a cut . But it was just sitting in my book cabinet for years so at least its going to a good home . Funny thing is that a few years ago I was going to give it to an ex-trucker living in Spain but I sent him some stuff by DHL & never got a reply so I couldn’t risk it . Pity really because he knew most of the drivers mentioned in the book . What I find hilarious is how the book starts ; the author bums a lift to Tehran from an outfit in Clacton on Sea . I don’t think they made it to Dover before the truck broke down or they ran out of money & the mission was aborted & it was a year or two before he got on the road with another firm . UK international trucking was run on a shoestring in those days & drivers abandoning trucks en-route due to financial problems was quite common for UK based companies . Don’t quote me for accuracy on the above comments but for anyone ever around in those days the book is peppered with large dollops of BS from author & drivers alike but fact remains it was a hard old run with very little reward . I took a look down there years before any of these guys had set foot in Iran or Afghanistan & worked out that I was better off working out of Swiss on salary + overtime & expenses running to Spain & Portugal than I ever would sitting in massive border queues on trip money .I know a few old hands that got stuck on the Turkish/Iran border when the revolution broke out & others that were stuck in the compound in Tehran that had to make a run for the border , also a mate of mine that was on open arrest in Tehran for a year for whacking an Irani who thought that the side boards of the trailer were part of the load . None of these guys bragged about it & would sooner forget the whole thing & avoided M/E like the plague due to all the hassle & lost wages . But to each his own I guess ?
I did North Africa for years & it was a walk in the park compared to M/E .
Just my two penneth on the Golden Epoch .

Middle East? Believe a quarter of what you hear and half of what you see! The rest is (zb)!

Gavin McArdle

• Private message
  • AIM

This is a copy of the visa to enter Pakistan ( hope I’m allowed to use that word ) from Afghanistan via the Khyber Pass . In the short time I was there I was arrested for being a spy & then got as quickly across the border to Amritsar .

Hands up then, Who bought Harry’s Book?

I borrowed a copy from one of Chris Brearleys drivers & read it while we were weekended in Macon, it wasn’t a very long read.