Clutch life

What do reckon a fair life for a clutch on a 44 tonner with ZF 16 speed box, is then ? Its double shifted and used by anyone scenario. I don’t think 120.000 odd kms is acceptable though. :unamused:

no way it should laast much longer than that

try minimum 500,000km

Just sold 4 xfs with in excess of 600,000 kms on them.All original clutches

Driven properly then 500k to 750k before replacing a friction plate is not bad.

Depends on whos driving :wink: :wink: :wink:

Some drivers do seem to like to ride the clutch :angry: :angry: :unamused:

Some drivers do seem to like to ride the clutch

Yep that’ll do it along with slipping it because they’re too bone idle to change down, no wonder some Co’s want auto boxes. :unamused: :cry:

A lot depends on the work it does. We run heavy, doing a lot of concrete distribution to builders merchants in urban and city areas and all three of our 04 Volvo FH12s have needed new clutches this year at around 280,000km.

On long haul continental work, running light you would have no problem getting a million clicks out of a clutch.

THE problem about CLUTCH WEAR is one that all
truckmanufacturs have looked at and you can at EXTRA
cost have new type of clutch fitted which will last well
over 950,000km +,ans as for doing URBAN journeys
this is where a AUTOMATIC will beat a manual gearbox
exery time,as regards clutch wear and ease of work for the
DRIVER

Harry Monk:
On long haul continental work, running light you would have no problem getting a million clicks out of a clutch.

That’s for sure. The first truck I owned, a Scania 112, had just shy of a million klicks on it when I wrote it off and it was still on the original clutch. It only had two drivers, apart from a very few occasions, for it’s entire life.

Neil:
I wrote it off

:open_mouth: