Anyone know the average clutch life

on a manual daf cf thats probably had a hard life as its a hire unit. The hire unit was at around 450,000kms.

Just out of interest really :grimacing:

Don’t know about the daf but we have been told That the average life on a Volvo I shift is about 500 000 k think it may depend on truck,life it’s had,type of work its on…so many variables to it

My daf Cf 85 8 wheeler had 400k on the clock and was still on it’s 1st clutch.

I think the average clutch life on a nissan micra is about 12yards

bubsy06:
I think the average clutch life on a nissan micra is about 12yards

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thats a question that can’t be answered really. Clutch life depends mostly on how the vehicle is driven. In all my years of driving I have only had to have 2 clutches replaced, first was on a 1969 Ford Corsair 2000E and the second was on aVaxhaull Cavalier estate that my clutch slipping ex wife ruined.
Have NEVER had to replace a truck clutch and I have done over 500,000 in the one I have now. Maybe it’s bacause I am very sparing with them and avoind slipping them at all times or even don’t bother using them unless my engine and vehicle speed are so that I can’t disengage it otherwise. Mostly I just use it to move off and stop … and I drive a truck with a gear box so out dated it makes Roadragers seem advanced.

Up until 6th July my DAF CF380 had 899,882km on it with the original clutch (it is still on the same one but don’t know it’s current speedo reading).

Mixture of roads and alot of hills but always running very light (foam).

Pat Hasler:
Thats a question that can’t be answered really. Clutch life depends mostly on how the vehicle is driven.

Skip trucks clutch’s have a hard life, our fitter reckons to replace the clutch at least every year regardless of the mileage. Mileage is not an indicator of how much wear it’s getting, it’s how many times the clutch is abused getting the skip where it needs to be.

My last truck was a Merc Actros with a clutch pedal on a 'telligent 16 speed box. In the 4 years I had it, it did almost 700,000 km on its original clutch. It was on Euro tramping, running at all sorts of weights but mainly motorway running. It’s now on our UK work, still on the same clutch.

just got rid of my 06 daf cf85 eight wheel grab lorry, 400,000,original clutch which i think is really good going as a lot of those km’s were in london or on landfill sites,sometimes very heavily loaded lol.and it was very hard worked (but sympathetically driven )

Truck clutches should last a long time as they should be either in or out, never slipped like a car clutch. Unfortunately a lot of truck drivers don’t know that.

I’ve also owned cars with 100,000+ miles on original clutch.

Simon:
My last truck was a Merc Actros with a clutch pedal on a 'telligent 16 speed box. In the 4 years I had it, it did almost 700,000 km on its original clutch. It was on Euro tramping, running at all sorts of weights but mainly motorway running. It’s now on our UK work, still on the same clutch.

My last Actros was fitted with the Autotrans box, and had done 840k when I sent it went on its way, still on its original clutch and plenty of life left in it according to the computer :slight_smile:

my 54plate xf has done over 960000kms and still on the original clutch that said i am the only person to drive the truck apart from my wife who does the occaisional shunt. The work is mainly on dual carrageways and moterways and i always start of in a low gear

Used to driver a 8 wheeler scania tipper that had clutch protection on and it wouldn’t give you more than a 1000 rpm untill the clutch pedal was fully up was a rite pain in the arse when setting off fully loaded on a hill or landfill.

My Volvo FH13 520 650000KM but it was the thrust bearing that gave up and volvo changed the whole pack.
Klunk

no idea about dafs,but our manual scanias[09,s] have 5/600k on them and ive not heard of any having clutch go,and there run 24/7,have all different drivers[not one] so id guess there not really drove nice and steady.
to be honest ,600k and they fill as good as the day they arrived

i drive a 52 plate daf cf 85 currently on 883526 km
i’ve only been driveing it 6 months at most and the syncro cones have gone or somethig like that.
but lorry has already had 2 refurbished gear boxes put in :question: :question:

I’ve had mine for about 6 months and it’s right handy for sticking your running money in

sea frog:
i drive a 52 plate daf cf 85 currently on 883526 km
i’ve only been driveing it 6 months at most and the syncro cones have gone or somethig like that.
but lorry has already had 2 refurbished gear boxes put in :question: :question:

I’ve just inherited a 06 cf and the synchros are gone on 3 4 7 8 and our 58 plate cf had a new gearbox earlier this year due to this.