volvo ishift

any one got any idea what sort of milage I could expect from a volv I shift before problems .thank you

We’ve the same gearbox in our Renaults and four years and 600,000km later the gearboxes haven’t given any problems

Craig

Renault Magnum with volvo engine and gearbox 760000k. Just done the clutch, have owned the truck for two years don’t know if clutch was done prior to my ownership.

Have a 2007 FH with ishift, had a new clutch fitted earlier this year at approx 650,000kms, the workshop seem to think this was its first one, had no other problems so far with the transmission side.

We have been running I shifts for 8 years or so now the 03 with 980k went two months ago, box came out once at 2 1/2 years for spilter springs, never had a clutch or anything else, one 07 broke a selector pin in the lid drove into the garage and repaired for £900 so can’t complain.

I got a free 7yr 750,000mile warranty on my I-shift, so I would say that Volvo are quite confident that they won’t be fixing it until that expires.

newmercman:
I got a free 7yr 750,000mile warranty on my I-shift, so I would say that Volvo are quite confident that they won’t be fixing it until that expires.

All the times you and I had “debates” about North American trucks V’s Euro and when you go back to the aul O/O (O/D) lark you buy a Euro “copy” Volvo VN :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:

Does it have a diesel guzzling yank “donkey” under the hood:?: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing:

Different story when I’m paying the bills, if I wasn’t then I want the loudest, fastest, shiniest truck out there, but if I’m paying, then I only want one thing… Money :laughing:

So obviously I have a D13 :sunglasses:

newmercman:
Different story when I’m paying the bills, if I wasn’t then I want the loudest, fastest, shiniest truck out there, but if I’m paying, then I only want one thing… Money :laughing:

I’ll start baking the humble pie now :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink:

BTW,
does a chainsaw :grimacing: fit in the side lockers of the VN as maybe you might be tempted for the big money on the Winter roads :question: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation:

NMM, I bet this one doesn’t get pushed “all the way round to Texas”!!! :open_mouth: :laughing:

Big Truck:

newmercman:

I’ll start baking the humble pie now :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink:

BTW,
does a chainsaw :grimacing: fit in the side lockers of the VN as maybe you might be tempted for the big money on the Winter roads :question: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation:

No chance of me going up there, I ■■■■ myself standing on an icy puddle, so driving on a lake, no bleeding chance. I don’t have my ticket on the chainsaws either :laughing:

bullitt:
NMM, I bet this one doesn’t get pushed “all the way round to Texas”!!! :open_mouth: :laughing:

No Rick, it’s limited to 105km/h, but company limit is 100km/h. Although it does 95km/h unless it’s downhill and then it jogs on a bit as it’s all free :sunglasses:

The speedo only goes to 125km/h and I had it go past that half way down Larson Hill in BC, probably matched the old Pete that day and I rolled up the next hill without coming back on the pedal, Kerrrrching :laughing:

newmercman:

hi, is that salesman bull or have you got that written if you have id like to see a copy cos I and a lot of other tipper operators have had LOTS of expensive trouble with this box especially 2006-2011 versions when its working its a fantastic gbox hopefully the newer gen boxes are more robust.

TOECUTTER:

newmercman:

hi, is that salesman bull or have you got that written if you have id like to see a copy cos I and a lot of other tipper operators have had LOTS of expensive trouble with this box especially 2006-2011 versions when its working its a fantastic gbox hopefully the newer gen boxes are more robust.

true. autobox means more moving paarts means more chance likelyhood of trouble regardless of badge on grille.

TOECUTTER:

newmercman:

He’s not in the UK tho

ellies dad:

TOECUTTER:

newmercman:

true. autobox means more moving paarts means more chance likelyhood of trouble regardless of badge on grille.

Ishift is a constant mesh box so less parts,I had a FH12 with Ishift that had done 980 000km when I sold it,never had a spanner near it, original clutch too.A lot of problems can be down to driver abuse, I always flicked into neutral when stopped and also stop completely before engaging reverse,amazing how many drivers treated it like a tractor shuttle box.The guy who bought my old truck did another 150 000ish km before the release bearing went on clutch! Great peice of kit,would have another in a flash,better than a Scania Opticrap

We have one been broke down in Devon over a week
Driver said it was tryin to change down from 12th to 7th gear on M5
Then it wouldn’t change down at all
Worked for another 20 mile in manual
Then gave up
When it was recovered one half shaft was broken
The other twisted
So diff out, that was ok luckily, 2 half shafts and back together and can’t find thing wrong with it
First they thought speed sensor on gear box but that appears to be ok
They did on Thursday find a fault with abs which is linked to gearbox so hope that’s it.
Pick it up mon but worried it’ll do same again
Bill for that lot gonna be thick end £4k
Half shafts £900 each
units a FH13 06 850kms

Nick channer:
We have one been broke down in Devon over a week
Driver said it was tryin to change down from 12th to 7th gear on M5
Then it wouldn’t change down at all
Worked for another 20 mile in manual
Then gave up
When it was recovered one half shaft was broken
The other twisted
So diff out, that was ok luckily, 2 half shafts and back together and can’t find thing wrong with it
First they thought speed sensor on gear box but that appears to be ok
They did on Thursday find a fault with abs which is linked to gearbox so hope that’s it.
Pick it up mon but worried it’ll do same again
Bill for that lot gonna be thick end £4k
Half shafts £900 each
units a FH13 06 850kms

what a nightmare, id be checking the dash cam mem card (if fitted ) just to make sure driver hasn’t been stuck n riving on or made a bad hill start b4 the problems began or diff lock abuse last fm13 halfshaft I changed a driver rolled back over a BIG speedhump loaded gave it the beans n sheared it. I shift does have speed sensor inside the box WTF!!!

GOG47:

ellies dad:

TOECUTTER:

newmercman:

Ishift is a constant mesh box so less parts,I had a FH12 with Ishift that had done 980 000km when I sold it,never had a spanner near it, original clutch too.A lot of problems can be down to driver abuse, I always flicked into neutral when stopped and also stop completely before engaging reverse,amazing how many drivers treated it like a tractor shuttle box.The guy who bought my old truck did another 150 000ish km before the release bearing went on clutch! Great peice of kit,would have another in a flash,better than a Scania Opticrap

driver makes all the difference ,also depends on type of work its doing up n down m/ways yes you probably wont have to touch it but stick it in a forest everyday or quarry work and those 2006-11 boxes will fail .

TOECUTTER:

newmercman:

No it’s for real, but I am in Canada and Volvo are really trying to push I-shift over here, the only other option is a Fuller and Volvo don’t make as much money out of Fuller boxes.