Clipping Kerbs....

Folks,

I’ve just done 2 days of C training - 2 more days to go (Mon & Tues) with test on Weds.

Problem (well, one of them!) is… I keep clipping kerbs on tight LH turns. My instructor says it’s cos I think I’ve still 4 foot of bonnet in front of me which is making me apply lock too early.

I cringe when I’m told not to start applying lock till (what seems like!) the cab is the way over on the RHS of the road I’m joining. :open_mouth:

Other problem is approach speed to roundabouts etc & having the tendancy to rush everything - can’t piggin slow down!!! :imp:

At this rate I’ve not got snowball in hells chance of passing. :cry:

I can’t seem to get out ‘car mode’ :angry: Any newbie advice would be very welcome…!!!

Cheers…

Had the same problems with roundabouts as yourself to start with.
What the instructor told me to do was focus on say a road sign that was 100 yards from roundabout and use that as the sign to begin slowing down and getting in to proper gear.
You’re lucky that you still have 2 days training to iron out your problems.
The answer to your left hand turns is to take as much road as you can on the road you’re on and focus on your nearside mirror when cutting back in.
Hope this helps,Best of Luck.

quick indicator when ya rear wheels is more a less inline with corner of kerb apply lock follow kerb round keeping a eye on rear wheel in ya mirrors and slow it down a little try to leave a foot gap from wheel to edge of kerbs

stvme2519:
quick indicator when ya rear wheels is more a less inline with corner of kerb apply lock follow kerb round keeping a eye on rear wheel in ya mirrors and slow it down a little try to leave a foot gap from wheel to edge of kerbs

Yep, same with artics too - when your 2nd of 3 trailer axles is just clearing the corner, that’s when you need to turn it in but keep an eye on it as you go round as a lot of corners aren’t a consistent angle all the way round.

Yep, same with artics too - when your 2nd of 3 trailer axles is just clearing the corner, that’s when you need to turn it in but keep an eye on it as you go round as a lot of corners aren’t a consistent angle all the way round

Thanx for posting that Question Stonesman

2 great tips guys stvme2519 & Rob K

That’ll hopefully help when I take my C+E retest, was a left hand kerb I clipped on my test

Stonesman it will all come together mate, I’ve just been reading some of my earlier post in my main thread, and I too just couldnt not stop clipping the kerbs @ 1st - & eventually you’ll find it hard to get back into car mode :smiley:

I heard about a lass that failed for clipping her mirror, not that unusual, except she clipped it on a fire engine answering an emergency call. The examiner didn’t fail her, cause she didn’t give him the chance. Frightened her that much she got out and refused to drive it again.

Smaking a mirror does knock your confidence a bit.

When i had that Charming cleanaway driver smash mine in for me i used to flinch every time another truck came towards me, but get out and there and do it you soon get it back.

Don’t be embarrassed to use as much road as you can, move over to your right before the bend, even if it means encroaching into the right hand lane, your allowed to do it cos your BIG. I like your instructors one about a bonnet, it’s amazing how much of a car can disappear under your windscreen and your still a few feet off it. During my training I forced myself to slow right down especially at the really sharp 90 deg bends.
Very best of luck with the test.
Gordy :smiley:

Stonesman - You hit the nail on the head yourself.

Other problem is approach speed to roundabouts etc & having the tendancy to rush everything - can’t piggin slow down!!!

You have got to the point where you know what you are doing wrong so only you can get it right.
Listen to your own advice and take your time.
Also keep your eyes on the mirrors - you never hit what you are looking at.

Folks,

Passed Class C today!!!

Thanks for all you help & advice (mothertrucker - very wise words)

Got three minors… very pleased with how it went!

1. Missed gear 3 and got it in 5 - recovered it OK
  2. Minor for obsersation on the reverse, all went OK but can’t have checked both sides enough?
  3. Got a minor for hesitation at a main junction - rreally busy and didn’t want to risk a fail for takin a chance :slight_smile:

Even as late as yesterday I thought I had no chance - then it all came together on my drive out before test.

Gonna book C+E today while I’m on a role!

I’m over the moon!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Congratulations on the pass ,fellow newbie :laughing:

Congratulations TheStonesman on the pass
and good luck with your C+E :smiley:

There you go!! You knew how to do it all along!
Many congratulations and good luck with the class 1 training.

Congratulations - good luck with the class 1 !!

G

Very well done, 3 minors?, thats excellent :smiley:
Good luck with the Class 1

topman the stonesman

Great Drive :smiley: CONGRATULATIONS :smiley:

Good luck with the C+E you’ll love it

Wills