Training starts monday

class 2 training starts on monday 8:00 any helpful advice within gear changing, reversing and any other sectors many thanks…

theres a subforum for new and wannabee drivers back on the first page, plenty of interesting info on there mate,

check out the link in my signature below :smiley:

simpsonsboy:
class 2 training starts on monday 8:00 any helpful advice within gear changing, reversing and any other sectors many thanks…

It’s in the future for you,but worth bearing in mind,driver trainer told us he was failing drivers on a regular basis on there company assessment drives as they’re not actually comming to a STOP at STOP signs at junctions,said he failed 3 out of 4 drivers the other week,said there drives were faultless other than this.
Best of luck with your training .

Might sound a bit daft - if you haven’t got a 7 1/2 ton driving history - pay attention to weight limit and height signs.

As a car driver most never even notice them - as a lorry driver you will live or die (at least of embarrassment) by them.

Read ROG tips they are very helpful and helped me massively. Just take your time no rush.

Agreed, Rog’s tips are a godsend.

My biggest issues with starting in a truck were positioning and speed.

Remember that you’ve got a big back end behind you, and it will take the lazy route round corners. Take a wide berth, go deep and use white hatchings if necessary to get the front end over far enough to let the back end cut in.

SLOW DOWN at junctions, well before you get near. Give yourself plenty of time to sort yourself out with gears, position, planning your exit strategy from the junction etc. By the time you get to the junction you should already be in the right gear, in the right place, know where you’re going and be predicting the traffic in front of you.

The other critical thing is MIRRORS. You can’t use them often enough - slowing down, speeding up, approaching hazards, before signalling etc.

thank you for the advice i shall take my time plan ahead and hope for best… however i have been trying to position my car as you would with a truck on roundabouts junctions e.c.t i know sounds stupid but i find that it helps in some way

simpsonsboy:
thank you for the advice i shall take my time plan ahead and hope for best… however i have been trying to position my car as you would with a truck on roundabouts junctions e.c.t i know sounds stupid but i find that it helps in some way

Spotting signs that you often miss or disregard in a car is often one issue

Another thing I found is the gear ratios are a lot closer, so when u come to a round about if ur doing 5-10 mph depending on gearing u sum times only need 4th if ur empty. When I was learning I would got to 2nd like u would in the car and catapult us all through the windscreen :confused: haha

Greg Blackburn:
Another thing I found is the gear ratios are a lot closer, so when u come to a round about if ur doing 5-10 mph depending on gearing u sum times only need 4th if ur empty. When I was learning I would got to 2nd like u would in the car and catapult us all through the windscreen :confused: haha

yeah i heard the gears were different at roundabouts and junctions also you can accually pull off in 3 gears low and not first ?

These days training vehicles are loaded with 5 tonnes so no empty ones any more

This makes a difference to what gears are needed so those giving advice need to be aware as they probably did their training with an empty LGV

ROG:
These days training vehicles are loaded with 5 tonnes so no empty ones any more

This makes a difference to what gears are needed so those giving advice need to be aware as they probably did their training with an empty LGV

its maybe best that way for when u do take up driving in the furture

how many hours are you suppose to have when your doing 1:1 training

how many hours are you suppose to have when your doing 1:1 training

Whatever hours you booked and paid for.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Make sure you don’t forget to check over your shoulder when you move off. My instructor said there is a surprising number of drivers who fail their tests because they miss that part out.