Class 2 hgv roundabout training

Hi guys
I am new here so hello to all.I started my HGV class c training two days ago but oh my God first day was very bad
as i struggled to change gears,the lorry has a slap-box 4 on 4, i hope that is how they call it.On my second day Tuesday
i made progress as i only messed up three times on the gears instead of 5 i kept putting it in 3.

I need help on how you approach small street roundabouts because they are tight and you can easily hit the kerb which is a fail.so do i stay on the left or go out a bit more before turning without stopping other on coming cars.
I have a very angry cursing instructor that says a lot of thing that put me down and it doesn’t help but this is what i want and i only have to put up with it for three more day.

I also want to thank everyone here on the free advice you give it has helped me a lot.

I found when doing mine is slow right down your not in a car take your time and 4 over 4 you will get use to that good luck mate

You drive by your mirrors. It might be that you’re steering in to the corner too early. Your mirrors then tell you where (and how much) you can turn the wheel - watch the rear wheels, and steer such that they go round the corner without mounting the kerb. In some cases, you will need to approach further out into the road to give yourself more space to turn. If you need to use space occupied by other vehicles, then let them get out of the way first. If you need to use the “wrong” side of the road, take it very slowly and carefully, so that you’re ready to stop if necessary.

How far out you need to be on the approach is something that comes with experience. This is why you’re spending the time getting practice. Normally I would say “listen to your instructor’s advice”, but it sounds like your instructor isn’t too great. Perhaps ask him/her for advice (“am I far enough out?”) on the approach, until you get the hang of it. Alternatively, keep taking a bit more space until you’re able to get round reliably.

Make sure you’re going slowly enough to do the manoeuvre without rushing.

1st step is to change instructor.

xichrisxi:
1st step is to change instructor.

Was thinking the same

OP - which school are you training with and did you book directly with them :question: :question:

Thank you for your advice very helpful will try to apply it today, i have my third lesson at 12:00 and have a test on Friday.I am doing training with Jcoates my training is in Birmingham.I wish i could change the instructor but i think it might be too late, i know he wants me to learn but its just the language used (you have f##g brains, you are empty, just wait for Friday and see you regret the money spent).

This is my future and i will go in the cab and try to focus because, it affects my judgement every time i make a mistake i have to then deal with his language instead of focusing on the road.I am not perfect i know its my first time in a lorry.I am already sweating now before going out for training lol :smiley:

FFS driving is not for you.

bobjakey:

Sorry am not crying about it I came here to seek advice on how to approach a roundabout that’s all because I know where I am failing.Sorry if I don’t understand your message

bobjakey:

Ignore this clown fella,obviously he passed his test without taking any lessons or learning :unamused:
Ask away any questions,there are plenty of people on here that will offer advice/help,ignore the trolls.

Plenty of clowns on the road nowadays, see them all the time. Yes I took lessons but I did not need to ask somebody how to go around a roundabout.

how you approach small street roundabouts because they are tight and you can easily hit the kerb

The factors that you need to consider on the approach are: length of the truck, width of the road and angle of the turn. The longer the truck, the narrower the road and the tighter the angle of the turn, the worse it becomes. As a general rule, take the available road on the approach rather than rely on trying to find some room on the exit. There could be a bollard, railings, parked vehicles, whatever. So use the road you can see to be clear.

Unless you’re really untidy, no-one will get marked for taking a bit too much road at this point as long as it is given back during the turn. As has already been said, it’s all to do with mirrors. Start your turn, watching both mirrors. If you can see that the rear wheels are heading for the kerb, undo it. It really is that simple. By the same token, if your wheels are a mile away from the kerb, pull it in a little bit tighter to neaten it. It’s not rocket science but it does take practice.

I have a very angry cursing instructor that says a lot of thing that put me down and it doesn’t help

Totally unprofessional but not unusual, sadly.

i know he wants me to learn

He has an interesting way of showing it.

I also want to thank everyone here on the free advice you give it has helped me a lot.

If this is what you get for free, what a pity you didn’t think about that when you chose your training provider. Nevertheless, you’re welcome.

You will actually do your provider a favour by mentioning this to the “high ups”. If nothing changes, it will stay the same.

Hope you’ve had a better day today, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I did not need to ask somebody how to go around a roundabout.

Nor do many folks. But the issue with this guy is that he has a problem and that his trainer has an unusual method of explaining himself and seeking improvement from the candidate. I don’t believe his post is specific to roundabouts, although that is the example cited.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

bobjakey:

Why make such an unhelpful and IMO, silly comment ?

Are such comments known as troll ones ?

ROG:

bobjakey:

Why make such an unhelpful and IMO, silly comment ?

Are such comments known as troll ones ?

Possibly. People need encouragement.

Don’t fret about it too much, I hit a kerb slightly the other day and I was in my car :unamused: :laughing: They can be a bit of a nuisance though, can’t they. Concentration is the key ( as I reminded myself the other day).

Hi guys back with an update on how it went today, happy to say that the advice worked no kerbs today.Mirrors are key to tell you where you are.Thank you all

bobjakey:

Plenty of clowns on the road nowadays, see them all the time. Yes I took lessons but I did not need to ask somebody how to go around a roundabout.

I don’t know what your issue is but you sound like a ■■■■. Everyone has to start somewhere and just like car driving some people are going to be more natural than others. I don’t think it is unrealistic to think some people are going to struggle to jump from car to LGV and still be able to negotiate tight roundabouts without at least some additional practice.

Sounds like OP has only been driving 2.5 days and his instructor was being unprofessional at best and a bullying knob at worst. Even if someone is totally hopeless at something there are ways of telling them without without cursing out and making feel belittled.

Can now see from OP’s latest post that the advise he got here helped him fix the problem… Also I’m grateful for this post… I know not to use Jcoates of Birmingham now if this is how their instructors act.

CovGuy:
Even if someone is totally hopeless at something there are ways of telling them without without cursing out and making feel belittled.

Exactly - sounds like my driving instructor when I was learning to drive a car (badly). Gave plenty of encouragement and hints, and it all eventually clicked. Same with trucks, made loads of mistakes on my class 2 training compared to the other guy I was training besides, but instructor just reminded me about what I’d done wrong in a purely professionally manner and I didn’t do those again.

And don’t worry Trukazz - as proven my this thread, there are idiots in all areas of life from driving instructors to trolls. If you can survive them, you should do alright, but it is handy to know about this particular company (or specific instructor I suspect) as people are often asking who they should go with (apart from Peter of course :slight_smile:).

Good luck for Friday, keep us posted!

Its something you pick up in time. Might I hazard a guess at a large car/van has been the biggest thing you’ve driven prior to this? Sounds like it. You will soon come to relay on those massive mirrors as they give you a good view of what your back wheels are doing. Don’t however get fixated with the mirrors, you still need to be watching where you are going. A mistake that cost me a lot of money.

A lot of J Coates instructors are ex-military and have been used to barking orders at young guys in their careers. Unfortunately many of them can’t differentiate between a soldier and a paying LGV customer. Hope it works out in the end, it’s a massive shame that some instructors can’t train positively without losing their patience.

paulweller84:
A lot of J Coates instructors are ex-military and have been used to barking orders at young guys in their careers. Unfortunately many of them can’t differentiate between a soldier and a paying LGV customer. Hope it works out in the end, it’s a massive shame that some instructors can’t train positively without losing their patience.

Coates have or had a large contract with the armed services so that could also be part of the issue in regards to who they hire as instructors