classic truck

if you had a choice what classic truck would you buy/bought and why would you want that particular make.

this may sound tame or sentimental but I spent a lot of times as a kid in old O type ,S type and A type petrol engined bedfords with my dad in the 50s and 60s but I had a cousin who had a big breakers yard in hendon opposite the old hendon dog track and I worked there in school hols and saturdays in the early 60s I drove loads of different motors in the yard mostly at the end of their life but my cousin had an old bedford MW breakdown I think M W was the type it was an ex army 1 tonner or 15 cwt it had a purpose built breakdown body with 2 michelin men on the roof and I loved that old motor so that would be my choice and it would be an easy motor to keep on the road simple mechanics as I have no workshop or yard I could get it in my garage between shows, I would love an f88 or bedford TM with 290 ■■■■■■■ or diamond T as my old man drove one for 5 years in the war pulling tanks thru nth africa and italy or a scanny 141 with a 4 ton block of concrete where the 5th wheel should be for traction I would take the old lady to tesco with it on saturday mornings, or many others but they would require much more upkeep I feel , of course if I won the lottery I would buy a fleet of old commercials I can only dream. fred m

sammy dog:
if you had a choice what classic truck would you buy/bought and why would you want that particular make.

Hiya sammy dog…the truck to have is usually somthing that stands out in your life.what did your dad drive or the favorite uncle take you in.
I had a 3300 space cab what i thought special as i had one for 12 years. but it did,nt do it for me. I,d had a time at adams butter and they
had MK5 AEC,s they not as comfy as the DAF.I,ve done more work on this one and at the moment it seems more ME.somthing must
be special to you.it dos,nt matter if its a 7.5 bedford or a 60 ton scammell its a truck and you,ll be in the clan.
heres a good one Bedford KM 1976 with 11.000 miles on the clock its a airport de icing truck. mot and poss tax exempt low miles bomb proof
4 wheeler… its on E bay at £3000 thats a steel with 6 new tyres.
John

Despite the mix of positive and negative about Atkinsons, it would have to be a ■■■■■■■ engined Borderer for me, Ideally TEC204M…

There is only one that springs to mind and it’s a truck that I couldn’t afford when it ‘came out’ but since I packed in haulage in 2006 my dream truck, it seemed, would remain just a dream until a plan was formed and this was found & purchased.
Volvo16a.jpg

It’s a 1994 F16 Globetrotter 500 and I now own it. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Ross.

Got to be an AEC MK5 for me,whether it’s a Mammoth Major or a Mandator. I just liked them and have fond memories of them from the 60s and early 70s.

Got to be the Guy big j 8xlb for me!!! :laughing:

sorry Bewick couldn’t resist !!! :unamused:

E.W.

EW car truck & bus:

E.W.

hl lads,
dennis you have done it again mate :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .good subject martyn.as for favourite classic truck.i have oh so many :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
regards andrew

pete 359:

EW car truck & bus:

E.W.

hl lads,
dennis you have done it again mate :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .good subject martyn.as for favourite classic truck.i have oh so many :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
regards andrew

as i know you have done a few a credit to you but there must be one that stands out that would really like to own cheers martyn.

sammy dog:

I have the actual lorry I took my test in almost 30 years ago (and which I also drove around an airfield when I was 17) and I’m doing my best to hold on to it!

3300John:

sammy dog:

Hiya sammy dog…the truck to have is usually somthing that stands out in your life.what did your dad drive or the favorite uncle take you in.
I had a 3300 space cab what i thought special as i had one for 12 years. but it did,nt do it for me. I,d had a time at adams butter and they
had MK5 AEC,s they not as comfy as the DAF.I,ve done more work on this one and at the moment it seems more ME.somthing must
be special to you.it dos,nt matter if its a 7.5 bedford or a 60 ton scammell its a truck and you,ll be in the clan.
heres a good one Bedford KM 1976 with 11.000 miles on the clock its a airport de icing truck. mot and poss tax exempt low miles bomb proof
John

hi john i passed my class 2 in 1976 so i have driven a few from site driving gardner foden half cab dump truck /super comet site lorry /lad cab albion site work/scammell routeman/aec mamouth major av760/road trucks octopus /bison/reiver/lreg super comet/maggieduetz/foden/constuctor/road train/daf2800/erf/b series /marathon/erf e series/merc1628/merc1635/ lorries ive owned merc 2028/1633/bison/volvo fl10/volvofm12 /scania 420/daf95/crikey have i driven all these i currently own a 4 series scania 470 remapped to 520 but it hasnt been out on the road in over 12mths,the lorries listed are mainly 8 wheel tippers of which over the years most of my career was made up of drving tippers.the one thats stands out for me is the aec which muck shifted on jobs like the m25 ,i first saw them when they were constructing the m4 near port talbot (never drove one of those ) but i would like to own one other than that i would nt mind a routeman 8 wheeler tipper or aec mamouth major in fact theres quite a few i wouldnt mind given half a chance sorry to be so long winded cheers martyn.

3300John:

sammy dog:

John

hi john i passed my class 2 in 1976 so i have driven a few from site driving gardner foden half cab dump truck /super comet site lorry /lad cab albion site work/scammell routeman/aec mamouth major av760/road trucks octopus /bison/reiver/lreg super comet/maggieduetz/foden/constuctor/road train/daf2800/erf/b series /marathon/erf e series/merc1628/merc1635/ lorries ive owned merc 2028/1633/bison/volvo fl10/volvofm12 /scania 420/daf95/crikey have i driven all these i currently own a 4 series scania 470 remapped to 520 but it hasnt been out on the road in over 12mths,the lorries listed are mainly 8 wheel tippers of which over the years most of my career was made up of drving tippers.the one thats stands out for me is the aec which muck shifted on jobs like the m25 ,i first saw them when they were constructing the m4 near port talbot (never drove one of those ) but i would like to own one other than that i would nt mind a routeman 8 wheeler tipper or aec mamouth major in fact theres quite a few i wouldnt mind given half a chance sorry to be so long winded cheers martyn.

EW car truck & bus:

E.W.

you are a tinker dennis regards martyn.

sammy dog:

pete 359:

EW car truck & bus:

E.W.

hl lads,
regards andrew

as i know you have done a few a credit to you but there must be one that stands out that would really like to own cheers martyn.

morning martyn,
i you ask me to mention one,then a ■■■■■■■ powered atki. borderer.they (to me anyway) epitomise the uk haulage scene in the late 60’s and early 70’s,when i was a truck mad kid :smiley: .
regards andrew

ivve got a half share in a Atki borderer thats almost finished, but would absoutely love to get my hands on a decent Albion reiver with LAD cab

I would love either a Foden 6 or 8 wheeler or a Morris Commercial from the early 50’s, realisticly though I have room for neither so have to be content with restoring and showing Barn Engines! :blush:

Pete.

I would like a Commer Maxiload four wheeler tipper with the TS3 engine.But to be honest all it would do is stand in my drive and probably drip oil.

bigr250:
There is only one that springs to mind and it’s a truck that I couldn’t afford when it ‘came out’ but since I packed in haulage in 2006 my dream truck, it seemed, would remain just a dream until a plan was formed and this was found & purchased.0

It’s a 1994 F16 Globetrotter 500 and I now own it. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Ross.

hi bigr250 nice looking truck just an idea but trucknet member pete359 used to own one of those its on here somewhere but not sure where regards martyn.

Ford Transcontinental big cam ■■■■■■■■ 10yrs ahead of it,s time, I used to dream of driving one while in my 20s while driving an Atki Borderer :frowning: ( never managed to get one, next choice a Magirus Deutz310, the first unit I learned to drive owned by a mate late 70s. (the year not my mate,s age :smiley:)

Dont know if any of you lads have been over to Malta on holiday but you wouldnt believe how many old British trucks there are running about/ laid up over there. Get yourselves over there it would be like Christmas and your birthday rolled into one.