Class One Training

Well after months of working on the bakeries at the weekend driving a class2, today is day 1 of my class 1 training with eastern in Brum.Anybody give us any tips on class 1 training .Thanks all

Good luck with the training :smiley:

well I can’t offer you any tips mate, but i’ll wish you all the best.

I’ve only just pasted my theory, and will start my class 2 training on the 25th of April.

Eastern made it into my last 2 from all the companies i got details from, in the end I went for CTT in wolverhampton, but on here I have heard nothing but praise for Eastern.

Good luck Pal

Just take your time and listen.

I presume you are taking your test at Garretts Green? If so, there are a few things to watch out for.

Yep all being well i will be taking the test at garretts green on Sat.What sort of things should i be looking out for krankee.

Eastern are pretty good, I learnt in the Volvo - which is pretty nice to drive, the Scania is newer but not really designed for someone of my proportions !!

Take it easy and enjoy the week… …

G

I did my class 2 with Eastern in the new scania rigid and found the gears a right pain in the arse as i was driving them like the van,hence the reason i passed 2nd time round.But since passing my test i have only been driving wagons with a normal straight six,so today i was dreading the 4 over 4 again but for some reason the whole lot came back to me within seconds of me driving off.

as Krankee said take your time, listen to your instructor and try to
relax and enjoy the driving :stuck_out_tongue:
good luck mate.

Good luck with the training and test :smiley:

I don’t know all of the routes but some of the obvious are,

Heathland Avenue

When you get to the ‘T’ junction, don’t ask, “Which way.” Because it means that you haven’t seen the compulsory Left Turn sign - FAIL :blush:

Cole Hall Lane

Heading North is easy. Coming South across the Bailey bridge is different. If the lights are on red, sit back about a car length and a half back from the lights. Close enough for the ‘detector’ to activate but far enough back to give you room to swing out. Then, when they change, swing the unit out wide as quickly as possible. If you approach on green, then you need to be almost on the other side of the road when, invariably, the lights start to change and you are left in No Man’s Land. It then becomes a ‘subjective’ decision as to whether to continue or stop. Just approach slowly and hope that the lights are on red as you approach.

The pub nearby is located at what used to be the entrance to the old sewerage works. In days gone by it had its own narrow gauge railway system and some magnificent flower beds, resulting, no doubt, from the ample supply of manure. It’s gone from being a depository for ■■■■, to a repository for ■■■■. And the bridge? Well that replaced an old single track brick and stone structure which, after a night of heavy rain, was washed away in the late 60’s, early 70’s, and was put there as a temporary structure. :laughing:

Kitts Green Road

At the point indicated, with a full sized artic heading South-East, exiting the roundabout is ■■■■ tight. Owing the the central bollards at the exit, you need to have the trailer wheels skimming the roundabout kerb and then swing left at the last possible moment. Further along towards Lea Village, owing to the way people park, and central islands with bollards, you might have to consider going the wrong side of the Keep Left signs. It’s no good going into a situation if you can’t get the vehicle out of it.

The same can apply in Lea Hall Road, although here, if you stop and ponder the situation for too long, you are liable to have the locals out stripping the wheels off the trailer. :laughing:

Another one that they are keen on is HERE where, approaching the lights along Kitts Green Road, the Stop line is located about an artic length back from the junction, and if the lights change as you are crossing the Stop line, but you are able to bring the vehicle safely to a halt before impeding cross-flow traffic, then you are expected to do so.

The Test starts with the Reversing Exercise and the layout at Garretts Green is that the waiting lane for MOT’s is on the opposite side of the manoeuvring area to the building. Which means that you will have to contend with other drivers walking across the area to the rear of your vehicle. It is inconsiderate and impolite, but you just have to deal with it. Use it to your advantage. Remember that these people will most probably have been involved in a transport environment for most of their working lives and as such, certainly wont be looking to put themselves in danger. However, if you have any doubts, bring the vehicle to a halt, apply the parking brake, and use the time to assess the next adjustment of the steering. :wink: When the danger has passed, continue. It’s not a race.

Similarly, when you exit the Test Centre, unless the road has been drastically repaired, the run up to Garretts Green Lane is an opportunity to use ‘acceleration sense’ and to settle down. Vehicle sympathy and passenger consideration should be your main objectives. Progress can come later.

I’m sure I’ll think of more.

Thanks for the detail info Krankee…However my test location has now changed to Swynnerton in staffordshire.Anybody have any dealings with this one.

hostmarky:
However my test location has now changed to Swynnerton in staffordshire.

Any reason for the location change?

To be fair i was on the lines that i would take it at Garretts Green but found out it was swynnerton instead.Have been up there today and it looks ok surrounding area and abit different to busy old Brum routes.

yep took my class 2 at swynnerton only one or two things to look out for on route i took one was a small almost blind bridge with a shop nearly on it !! had 8.45 test so of course there was another class 2 making delivery there so he was parked out side half on path almost on the bridge made it quite hard to stay to my side of the road ,secondly if you go into stone about three quaters of the way around the one way system if examiner want you to go off to the left watch for cars going up your inside one nearly did on me but thought better of it :laughing:
other than that was much better than featherstone where i took my first test
nice and scenic too!!!

Sorry i have not updated my posts as i have been busy.

TO give you an update…

I did my weeks training course but was a bit unsure myself of getting through the test on the Saturday,so i took a week off which was last week and had a lesson today.I think having a break last week has done me a power of good and things have just fallen into place.

I have my test at swynnerton Tuesday afternoon so fingers cross i get the result but if not well i will be back to do it again.Still a bit bothered about the reverse but i known i can at least get it into a postion that 1 shunt would cure.

Oh well with give you an update on Tuesday night with the result
Thanks for the advice lads.

Best of luck with it - take it easy and see if you can send the examiner to sleep…

G

Good luck with the test Pal, look forward to seeing how you got on tomorrow :wink:

Good luck mate i passed last Tuesday first time i have an interview today so i wish you all the best mate dont forget to keep an eye out for signs saying no vehicles over 7.5 mam, there are some sneaky ones out there.

Oh well tonight lads i seem to be in no mans land…LOL

I have not failed my test or come to that i have not passed my test !

You see when i got to the test centre at lunchtime,the examiner was been fussed about the os mirror and that fact he could not see out of it.

So that was it no tests in this wagon today.I cannot believe how fussed he was being.

Just have to wait now for another test…

Oh dear - any idea when?

Good luck!