Class 2 or class 1

i know class 2’s are easier to drive. but everyone keeps saying i should go for class1 cause the work easier because its mostly depots u goto. as a class 2 im expected to fit into places that would be tight in del boys car :laughing: any thoughts?

i got my class one in April 08 and it seems a lot easier, theres less drops, less handball and it seems a lot more driving!! I did class 2 multidrop for 2 years and compared to that its a doddle :laughing:

id love a class 2 trunk job but dont think that would happen thats why im pondering my class1

Class 2’s are drivers; class 1’s are steering wheel attendants.

Discuss while I find me tin hat! :wink: :laughing:

class 1 you can still do the interesting rigid work

Whenever I drive a rigid- only very occasionally- I always turn the steering wheel the wrong way when I reverse.

class 1 multi drop is just the same having to squeeze in daft spaces. it’s whatever pays more and gets perm work bit dire at moment.

steve07:
class 1 multi drop is just the same having to squeeze in daft spaces. it’s whatever pays more and gets perm work bit dire at moment.

have to agree with steve, i do quite alot of class 1 multi drop and i can assure you it can make you sweat a bit when youre trying to get down some little side street in the middle of a city centre . then having to blind side it out of there is not fun whilst the locals try to force there way past you.
trunking , yes easy

I`d go for the class 1 as it gives you better options when looking for work :wink:

Harry Monk:
Whenever I drive a rigid- only very occasionally- I always turn the steering wheel the wrong way when I reverse.

LOL me too!!

Do class 1 that way you can drive a 2 if you want.

I’m class 1 but quite happy with the class 2 work which I find more varied and on the whole a bit more challenging.

Except when trying to get wide loads in and around London with a lowloader trailer.

Well i’m class2 payed the same as our class1 drivers ,same work smaller wagon,also seem to be buisier than them atm due to companies ordering part instead of full loads

class 2 work is murder - i hated every minute of it more drops , more pressure , and i actually found it harder to drive than artics :open_mouth: .

class 1 work for me anyway is a lot easier and i enjoy it a lot more - i do more distance with less drops - but dont get me wrong you still get days where you have loads of drops in the centre of glasgow and edinburgh and you cant always reverse out of trouble(if you get into it) the way you can in a rigid but i prefer artic driving.

I had my class 2 up until sep when I did my class 1. I was buzzin when I past had a job offer and was ready to start but cause of family problems i was unable to start until middle of nov. After 6weeks I was getting depressed of companies saying u need 2yrs until the last week when i got a start for a irishman now iam buzzin again. My 1st run was down to magor I was worried coz Id been down In a 18ton and scared the crap out of me but i got on with it and really enjoying shouldnt of been that worried at all. Last nite had a Double decker (1st) and went up the A41.

My advise is do your class 1, like the lads say you can stick with class 2 but you still have a class 1.

There are some really enjoyable class two jobs. I was lucky enaugh to work for company, who was delivering specialized architectural glass allover UK and NI. That was cool, and wages were better than many class one drivers…

Also I was working on Hebrides - that was really cool, money was crap, but atmosphere was great, and I was visiting places where I would never expect to see a lorry :wink:

Only problem is that they don’t have globtrotter cabs too often on class 2 lorries :slight_smile: