Class 1 or 2?

So I am class 2 and was thinking on my class 1. After a bit of research there doesn’t seem to be much incentive to get my class 1. I drive an 8 wheel tipper delivering tarmac, all the other drivers in the yard are class 1. But they don’t do class 1 work. I have all so looked at the pay. And it doesn’t change much unless your tramping. At the moment I don’t feel like I should pay 900 quid for a class 1 to get payed less or a little more (very little). I could be wrong what’s Every ones thoughts on this?

All depends what sector you’re in , I work for a haulage firm and now do the same amount of drops in a week on class 1 as I could do in a day on class 2
All my loads last week were full loads then full reloads

Ruzzlick:
So I am class 2 and was thinking on my class 1. After a bit of research there doesn’t seem to be much incentive to get my class 1. I drive an 8 wheel tipper delivering tarmac, all the other drivers in the yard are class 1. But they don’t do class 1 work. I have all so looked at the pay. And it doesn’t change much unless your tramping. At the moment I don’t feel like I should pay 900 quid for a class 1 to get payed less or a little more (very little). I could be wrong what’s Every ones thoughts on this?

Think you’ve answered your own question mate…Why bother? :bulb:

A few people have asked me in the past if I think they should go for their class 1 and my reply is always the same.
If you have to ask then you probably shouldnt. Its a lot of money to then find out you dont like it and its not for you.
The only reason I even bothered with class 2 was because I had to because the class 1 was what I wanted but if youre happy on class 2 then stick with it, especially given that you seem to be more swaying towards sticking with it anyway.
You might go for it and find out you enjoy it but like I say, its a lot of money to find out it was a waste.

It works out about an extra quid or just over an hour at my place so there’s no massive pay increase but going from Class 2 to Class 1 there’s a huge difference in the amount of work I now do for the money compared to what I used to do.

In average I’d probably get through eight deliveries plus maybe three or four collections in Class 2. On Class 1 I get usually one or sometimes two deliveries with a bulk collection normally a trailer swap somewhere at the end before heading home.

robroy:
Think you’ve answered your own question mate…Why bother? :bulb:

+1…

Class 1 is just more aggravation for the same money.

At our place, Class 1 is a must. We only have 6 rigids and they only do local stuff. Our artics do full loads, part loads, groupage etc.

Radar19:
At our place, Class 1 is a must. We only have 6 rigids and they only do local stuff. Our artics do full loads, part loads, groupage etc.

Has the OP applied for a job at your place? :unamused:

Ruzzlick:

I would not bother fella, too many twonks driving class one these days. Stick to the tippers. :smiley:

Dr Damon:

Ruzzlick:

I would not bother fella, too many twonks driving class one these days. Stick to the tippers. :smiley:

Absolutely, class 2 tipper, the home of the shining beacon of professionalism! :wink:

I think you already know the answer mate, gone are the days when getting your class 1 meant better pay and working conditions. With a driver shortage it may improve but not for a while yet.

Stop asking stupid questions man. Class 1 drivers are the film stars of the trucking world.

Class 2 are those little ■■■■■■■ that sweep the stage, and now and again operate the clapper board.

eagerbeaver:
Stop asking stupid questions man. Class 1 drivers are the film stars of the trucking world.

Class 2 are those little ■■■■■■■ that sweep the stage, and now and again operate the clapper board.

For the same money and half the hassle :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

OLDSALVO:

eagerbeaver:

For the same money and half the hassle :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You say that but I found you hit a limit on Class 2 money and the better payers normally meant a lot more work and drops when a crap Class 1 paid the same. So when you find a good Class 1 job you make much better money. Im on nearly 15k more a year compared to my last Class 2 job that I had 5yrs ago.

Hassle is all relative, on one of my jobs delivering plants years ago the biggest rigid carried 28 trolleys and the artics carried 43 so I suppose you had to use the tail lift more for not much extra money a day but maybe the rigid had 8 drops and the artic had 2 and one had a loading bay.

Also some of us just want to see more of the world whilst at work, my current job can take me across Europe compared to my Class 2 job taking me up to 4hrs from base.

I’d stop where you are pal. I’ve recently left a class 1 job for a class 2 job. Rates arent that much different. In my case left my previous job for a better paying one. Until the majority of outfits sort themselves out and start paying decent rates (which wont happen any time soon) stay as you are.

I would say do the class 1 and keep looking for decent payed class1 jobs.Don’t listen to the take anything for experience crew ,Like most things ,There are Some well payed firms and many many ■■■■ poor payers out there.