How much easier is Class 1 compared to Class 2 multidrop

I’m a month in on my first driving job after passing out. I managed to find a full time class 2 multi drop job. But being sent to jobs in an 18T lorry where a 7.5 would struggle is getting old pretty fast and not to mention the amount of drops and graft daily. Just wondering how the world of class 1 compares to class 2 work.

I too get sent to drops that are suited to a 7.5t or van even. It’s not just restricted to class two.

I also have days where I may have 11 drops of that type. I’ll also have days like recently where I’m just travelling and have no drops.

Bottom line is don’t think it’s beyond being sent to less than ideal places just because you’re in an artic.

I’ve been sent to some real corking places with an artic. Lazy or cheap planners normally. Unless you actually look for a job trunking then you’ll likely get some crap drops even on artics.

I just trunk bottles of pop & washpowder around the country , jobs a doddle to be honest ,artic

KaneOnWheels:
I’m a month in on my first driving job after passing out. I managed to find a full time class 2 multi drop job. But being sent to jobs in an 18T lorry where a 7.5 would struggle is getting old pretty fast and not to mention the amount of drops and graft daily. Just wondering how the world of class 1 compares to class 2 work.

When I was on class 2 multidrop I’d very often come to a place and be like “There’s no way I’m going in THERE!” and while walking around to find out if the company I’m looking for is even there I’d occasionally see an artic pull in or nearby to deliver to the same place (industrial/trading estate). Mostly Stobbbarts which is why I gave up even applying with them. Place I used to work at was the hell for access for artics - you had to reverse from the main road down a two way street with a 90-degree bend inbetween parked cars and vans on one side and clutter/bins/pallets stacked on the pavement on the other side, then it was a 90-degree turn into the yard. I’d often see artic drivers come in to deliver a single pallet, they’d back in all the way to the yard’s entrance but the forklift ■■■■■■■■■ would say “Sorry mate, we’re not allowed out on the road, you have to come in” even if it was the end of a dead-end street and the guy only had 1 palllet for them. Sometimes I’d see an artic do the whole reverse down the street only to be sent back because there was no space for him to get in so he had to do it again later lol. At night it was even better because tehre was no street lightning but all the clutter and parked cars were still there.

KaneOnWheels:

As you’ve probably guessed by some of the replies, your question of Class 1 comparison is moot

It’s not the vehicle you need to worry about but whether or not the company employs numpty planners who haven’t the faintest clue where they send an artic - or for that matter will care a jot once you’ve got there and find it’s crap access

One of the reasons when I was looking for Class 1 I wouldn’t touch pallet network firms as it invariably includes all the places you DONT want to go to!

Look at the company and research where they go to then decide whether to join them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think im certainly leaning towards trunking work. Seems a much easier gig than the pallet ■■■■■■■■. Is trunking hard to find as a new Class 1 pass?

KaneOnWheels:
I think im certainly leaning towards trunking work. Seems a much easier gig than the pallet ■■■■■■■■. Is trunking hard to find as a new Class 1 pass?

I reckon I’d die of boredom doing trunking work, with rdc work as a close second.
I’d take the tightarsed designed for horse and carts farm, delivery work down unclassified roads I do over all of it…I lurrve a challenge. :sunglasses: :laughing:

robroy:
I’d take the tightarsed designed for horse and carts farm, delivery work down unclassified roads I do over all of it…I lurrve a challenge. :sunglasses: :laughing:

This is different from trying to reverse into a “one way in one way out” trading estate off the bend of a tiny street with every possible light switch flipped to “on” and both windows open while every single pedestrian/cyclist/car/van driver is ignoring you and your blinking, beeping truck and is trying to squeeze by at all costs. In the long run, something is bound to happen. Oh and the pay per hour for multi-drop is often worse than for other kinds of work.

ETS:

robroy:

This is different from trying to reverse into a “one way in one way out” trading estate off the bend of a tiny street with every possible light switch flipped to “on” and both windows open while every single pedestrian/cyclist/car/van driver is ignoring you and your blinking, beeping truck and is trying to squeeze by at all costs. In the long run, something is bound to happen. Oh and the pay per hour for multi-drop is often worse than for other kinds of work.

I’ve done farm work and one screw up can mean you need to have a crane come and rescue you. Every job has its challenges, I’d rather do something easy for my money.

Radar19:
I’ve done farm work and one screw up can mean you need to have a crane come and rescue you. Every job has its challenges, I’d rather do something easy for my money.

Agreed, however this is a challenge where it’s up to you to handle it, whereas what I described is pure frustration where you can do everything properly and still end up with an accident because you don’t have eyes on your rear doors and that’s just added stress in my life that I can totally do without. Unless you do 10+ deliveries to farms per day, every day - then the frustration can be comparable.

I used to do pallet multidrop, both in artics and rigids. Sure there were some awkward drops and collections, but it’s only a problem the first time. I had a couple of regulars that were really tricky but I did like the challenge.

I guess I was lucky in that my employer was pretty sensible about using the right truck for the job

Radar19:

ETS:

robroy:

This is different from trying to reverse into a “one way in one way out” trading estate off the bend of a tiny street with every possible light switch flipped to “on” and both windows open while every single pedestrian/cyclist/car/van driver is ignoring you and your blinking, beeping truck and is trying to squeeze by at all costs. In the long run, something is bound to happen. Oh and the pay per hour for multi-drop is often worse than for other kinds of work
Unless you’re doing 10 farm deiveries per day…comparable etc etc .

Ok maybe it’s just me then.
I just kinda take stuff in my stride and don’t get wound up (well, most of the time anyway :blush: ) not trying to be some kind of hero btw, it’s just my nature.
Of course I’ve been in dodgy situations ffs, of the type you mention, …too many times to remember over the years.
In fact only the other week in Cornwall (Redruth town I think it was) I took wrong direction over a mini roundabout to discover the road wasn’t exactly ‘‘artic friendly’’ and the ONLY way out of it was to attempt to reverse back over it, with all the traffic build up behind me (and no ■■■■ wanting to wait :imp: ) and when I did eventually sort it (an eternity) I then misjudged the way I wanted to go and ended up with a ■■■■ low bridge sign in front of me.

I reckon somebody must have rang the law as a Police car appeared, he held the traffic back and guided me back to a ‘‘wrong way round’’ reverse on to that same bloody roundabout, telling me I wasn’t the first on there…So yeh ■■■■ ups happen to all of us, that’s just part of the job mate, I fully understand where you’re coming from on this.

Who knows?..maybe I need a truck sat nav after all. :laughing:

To Radar…I.was being a bit tongue in cheek tbh about liking a challenge… believe it or not :neutral_face: …,
I’m fully aware of the potential pitfalls and ■■■■ ups of tight back roads in a ■■■■ great artic, so I do absolutely everything possible to check my route in advance.each and every time.
I aint ■■■■ stupid, and I take it well serious trust me…but thanks for the wise words and guidance anyway. :neutral_face:

dozy:
I just trunk bottles of pop & washpowder around the country , jobs a doddle to be honest ,artic

What could possibly go wrong

I don’t think the headlong rush to local multi drop,often also involving handball loading and unloading,from distance full load or bulk pallet deliveries has anything to do with vehicle type.It increasingly applies with everything from vans to artics.It’s all about operators trying to minimise fuel bills and maximise turnover at the expense of the driver.

The answer is simple,going by the pages of unfilled vacancies out there,just do as obviously loads of others are doing.Turn down local/multidrop/handball zb work.As for trunking it’s obviously easier to find more unattractive night work but don’t assume it’s all distance trailer swap work.It’s possible that you’ll still be expected to handball trailer loads for half the shift as part of a short haul hub system operation.Realistically this industry is degenerating into a 1930’s style local delivery service often involving more labouring than driving unless something is done about fuel costs and allowed vehicle sizes/weights,fast.

On that note class 2 covers up to 32t gross 8 wheelers it isn’t limited to ( class 3 ) 4 wheelers.Bulk refuse hook loader/roll on off work can be your friend here. :bulb: :wink:

robroy:

Radar19:

ETS:

robroy:

This is different from trying to reverse into a “one way in one way out” trading estate off the bend of a tiny street with every possible light switch flipped to “on” and both windows open while every single pedestrian/cyclist/car/van driver is ignoring you and your blinking, beeping truck and is trying to squeeze by at all costs. In the long run, something is bound to happen. Oh and the pay per hour for multi-drop is often worse than for other kinds of work
Unless you’re doing 10 farm deiveries per day…comparable etc etc .

Ok maybe it’s just me then.
I just kinda take stuff in my stride and don’t get wound up (well, most of the time anyway :blush: ) not trying to be some kind of hero btw, it’s just my nature.
Of course I’ve been in dodgy situations ffs, of the type you mention, …too many times to remember over the years.
In fact only the other week in Cornwall (Redruth town I think it was) I took wrong direction over a mini roundabout to discover the road wasn’t exactly ‘‘artic friendly’’ and the ONLY way out of it was to attempt to reverse back over it, with all the traffic build up behind me (and no [zb] wanting to wait :imp: ) and when I did eventually sort it (an eternity) I then misjudged the way I wanted to go and ended up with a [zb] low bridge sign in front of me.

I reckon somebody must have rang the law as a Police car appeared, he held the traffic back and guided me back to a ‘‘wrong way round’’ reverse on to that same bloody roundabout, telling me I wasn’t the first on there…So yeh [zb] ups happen to all of us, that’s just part of the job mate, I fully understand where you’re coming from on this.

Who knows?..maybe I need a truck sat nav after all. :laughing:

To Radar…I.was being a bit tongue in cheek tbh about liking a challenge… believe it or not :neutral_face: …,
I’m fully aware of the potential pitfalls and [zb] ups of tight back roads in a [zb] great artic, so I do absolutely everything possible to check my route in advance.each and every time.
I aint [zb] stupid, and I take it well serious trust me…but thanks for the wise words and guidance anyway. :neutral_face:

Sounds like you really do need a top of the range Tomtom mate. Can only hope you dont have the company name on the vehicle or the trailer.

As a pro driver these things never happen to me :slight_smile: apart from at a crappy local services where I managed to miss the hgv pumps and was facing a McDonalds with cars in front and behind me. Horns were blazing as I reversed into the hgv pump from that one. Best part was as I was filling up another driver did the same thing. I’m not as cool as you I had sweat dropping from me face.

It’s like owt else.
One you become experienced,the stress is alleviated.

I do multidrops in a 6 axle 44 tonne artic…sometimes the drop/pick-up is a tight yard, sometimes it isn’t. It’s generally not a problem.
From what I’ve seen and experienced, many younger drivers don’t like the fact that being a driver isn’t just sitting behind the wheel of a brand new unit whilst someone else does the actual work and are surprised that it’s hard work with long hours. I think many younger folks get their cat C (class 2) thinking the job’s a piece of ■■■■ but quickly realise it isn’t and start looking elsewhere for an “easier” ride.
Bottom line sunshine…for the most part this job IS hard work, it IS long hours and always will be. It won’t get easier by getting yourself a ticket to drive even larger wagons. If you’re wanting an easier life at work, invest your money in getting a nationally recognised forklift licence instead.

Shrek:
I do multidrops in a 6 axle 44 tonne artic…sometimes the drop/pick-up is a tight yard, sometimes it isn’t. It’s generally not a problem.
From what I’ve seen and experienced, many younger drivers don’t like the fact that being a driver isn’t just sitting behind the wheel of a brand new unit whilst someone else does the actual work and are surprised that it’s hard work with long hours. I think many younger folks get their cat C (class 2) thinking the job’s a piece of ■■■■ but quickly realise it isn’t and start looking elsewhere for an “easier” ride.
Bottom line sunshine…for the most part this job IS hard work, it IS long hours and always will be. It won’t get easier by getting yourself a ticket to drive even larger wagons. If you’re wanting an easier life at work, invest your money in getting a nationally recognised forklift licence instead.

This, is by far the best reply so far and i agree with it totally. In fact this little snippet in the OPs post backs up what shrek is saying…

“not to mention the amount of drops and graft daily.” :unamused:

Shrek:

So tell us why do we have such things pallets and forklifts and pallet trucks and cages and tail lifts.While the job of a ‘driver’ would generally be expected to involve more driving than anything else and certainly not need to wreck their spine and with it career by being used as a human forklift or warehouse/site labourer for example.As required by an increasing amount of jobs desperately trying to add an increasingly under equipped under staffed customer base to their portfolio.

While if you want to remove the aspect of plenty of driving between far flung places between drops then don’t be surprised when that takes out more than half of the ‘driver’ pool,that understandably being the reason why they do the job.