CHEERS BOYS

Driveroneuk:
I think on a forums such as this 100% correct grammar isn’t necessary, so long as its understandable.

However very long sentences without puncuation or paragraphs are very difficult to read.

Brit Pete; that’s the point I was trying to make. I certainly don’t expect other peoples’ grammar and spelling to be perfect; mine is a long way from that.

I fully accept that not all of us were at the front of the class when it came to communication skills, of which this is of course a part; that’s why a lot of us drive trucks for a living, if we’re honest about it.

I wasn’t having a ■■■■■ about the standards on here BTW; in actual fact I think they’re generally very good , and would surprise a lot of people who think that all lorry drivers are brain-dead Neanderthals.

In actual fact, there were a shed-load of grammatical mistakes in your post; but I understood it perfectly! That’s what matters. :wink: :slight_smile:

ROG:
NOWADAYS - fill out this form and you are likely to get judged on how you fill it out - right :exclamation: :exclamation: - that has a lot to do with the actual job…not

Well quite a bit actually…if you can’t fill an application form correctly then what chance have you got with the companies other paperwork.:unamused:

That application form is their first impression of you as a person. :wink:

ok s0 i dont use commas and full stops but i say it as i write it and as long as you can read it what dose it matter :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

i thought the idea of being on here was to share information with each other without cost why should we pay you or pay your phone bill for you to find a job .if money is that tight go down the job centre and use there phones because all i can see happening is you getting a job and that would be the end of that . i am alright jack springs to mind . but if all else fails get in your car and go round to the local companies and see if they need drivers or do you want them to come looking for you !!

ROG:
I like the old ways…

Can you drive this? - YES

Can you read (delivery address/map)? - YES

Off you go…

NOWADAYS - fill out this form and you are likely to get judged on how you fill it out - right :exclamation: :exclamation: - that has a lot to do with the actual job…not

i fully agree with you rog, gone are the day when you phone in for your first day’s work and are told " keys under bumper, notes in cab, ring when your empty "

also to tom, why dont you add your location to your profile so we know where are. :wink:

Many members are guilty of that and then posting such as “need to find work in my area.”

Colingl:

ROG:

Well quite a bit actually…if you can’t fill an application form correctly then what chance have you got with the companies other paperwork.:unamused:

I’m afraid that’s the truth these days; especially so in the case of agency work, as that together with any references they may have is the only chance they get to assess you before sending you out to a client.

We can all hark back to the “good old days”, JD, but in reality you wouldn’t do that today would you? It’s a sad fact of modern life that you’d stand a fair chance of never seeing the driver, the truck or the load ever again.

TOM, you didn’t write it as you’d say it mate 'cos in grammatical terms, those commas and full stops are like pauses for breath. If I’d tried to say all that first post in one go I’d need oxygen! :wink: Tip; when you’ve typed it, read it back to yourself; you’ll see what I mean.

gnasty gnome:

Colingl:

ROG:

We can all hark back to the “good old days”, JD, but in reality you wouldn’t do that today would you? It’s a sad fact of modern life that you’d stand a fair chance of never seeing the driver, the truck or the load ever again.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: never thought of that.

ROG:
I like the old ways…

Can you drive this? - YES

Can you read (delivery address/map)? - YES

Off you go…

I agree, the old ways are the best, I went for interview last year, inter depot trunking for palletised goods. He gave me two sheets of paper.

Sheet 1 was a standard application form, all well and good.

Sheet 2 was one of those mutiple choice questionaires that is supposed to be a personality test to see what kind of bloke you are.

What a load of crap. I am quite capable of driving the class of vehicle and I can read a map. What other qualifications do you need. I got up and walked out.

gnasty gnome:
TOM, you didn’t write it as you’d say it mate 'cos in grammatical terms, those commas and full stops are like pauses for breath. If I’d tried to say all that first post in one go I’d need oxygen! :wink: Tip; when you’ve typed it, read it back to yourself; you’ll see what I mean.

Nice one, nice to see a post not having a dig at the OP. :smiley: :smiley:

BRMJack:
I got up and walked out.

So you didn’t get the Job then? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BRMJack:
What a load of crap. I am quite capable of driving the class of vehicle and I can read a map. What other qualifications do you need. I got up and walked out.

Which, I’m afraid, would indicate to me as the interviewer that you don’t like being told to do things, unless it suits you. Not the sort of qualities I’d look for in an employee, skilled driver or not.

BRMJack:
Sheet 2 was one of those mutiple choice questionaires that is supposed to be a personality test to see what kind of bloke you are.

That would be psychometric profiling then :slight_smile:

Being used more and more in job interviews now.