Check your licence

Hi all have you looked at you licence to see if is in date,

just a reminder you wouldn’t want this to happen to you

link

Was it true that a 15 year old Irish lad,drove all over Europe,without a LGV licence,as he looked older,than he actually was.Got stopped in the end.Worked for his familly company.

Seems a bit silly to me, no to know when the expiration date on your licence is, you’d expect this from a car driver maybe, but a pro?

Scotchbaz:
Seems a bit silly to me, no to know when the expiration date on your licence is, you’d expect this from a car driver maybe, but a pro?

my license always had an expiry date of 2027, until the goverment decided they could make more money by having the photo renewed every 10 years, only they didn’t make a big fuss about it and never advertised the fact.
it only came to light a couple of years ago when the first photo licenses came up for renewel and drivers were getting fined for not changing them.

The date the photo expires is 4b on the photo side of the licence

thats correct kerbut, but instead of my license lasting until 2027 which it originally did
i now have to pay to renew it in 2012, and 2022 before it runs out in 2027.

HE ALSO NEVER HAD ANY INSURANCE, I CANT SEE THAT HE DIDNT KNOW THAT, I THINK HE GOT AWAY LIGHTLY NO LICENSE NO INSURANCE £750 FINE. SUPPRISED HE NEVER HAD HIS TRUCK CONFISCATED

JOHN

busy fool:
HE ALSO NEVER HAD ANY INSURANCE, I CANT SEE THAT HE DIDNT KNOW THAT, I THINK HE GOT AWAY LIGHTLY NO LICENSE NO INSURANCE £750 FINE. SUPPRISED HE NEVER HAD HIS TRUCK CONFISCATED

JOHN

you need to read it again :laughing:

He had insurance but it was invalidated under the “holds the correct licence for the vehicle” clause that’s on any insurance policy. As for not knowing when a licence expires a quick read of the information leaflet that came with the licence will tell you anything you need to know.

aaahhh

i see

This isn’t to do with the photo part expiring, which is unlikely to invalidate your insurance and won’t remove your entitlement but the fact that he hadn’t renewed his medical.

mrpj:
This isn’t to do with the photo part expiring, which is unlikely to invalidate your insurance and won’t remove your entitlement but the fact that he hadn’t renewed his medical.

This is true but it doesn’t alter the fact that people are getting prosecuted for not realising their photocards have expired. It’s all one and the same really, you should check when various things are going to run out.

don’t for get as it can cost you

timesonline.co.uk/tol/drivin … 741199.ece

From The TimesFebruary 16, 2009

Thousands of drivers with photo licence face fines of up to £1,000 Ben Webster, Transport Correspondent
More than 40,000 drivers risk fines of up to £1,000 because they have failed to renew their photocard driving licences.

Many will not have realised that photocards expire after ten years, unlike the old green paper licences, which were valid until the driver was 70. Drivers risk prosecution if stopped by police and may also find that their insurers refuse to pay out on claims they make.

The problem has only emerged in recent months because photocards were first issued in 1998. The first renewals were due in July last year, and between then and the end of January 173,867 photocards expired.

There is a sticky about the Photocard expiry thing in the SAFETY, LAW AND WORKING TIME DIRECTIVE FORUM (INTERACTIVE) forum - HERE