LGV license renewal (again!)

Sorry to bring this topic up yet again but I have just noticed that my license expires on 31/10/16 and, even though I haven’t used it for almost 14 years, I would like to renew it. Question is; will I automatically get a renewal form etc through the letterbox or do I need to chase them up at Swansea for one? I assume that I will need a fresh photo as well, my own doctor will do the medical and I dont wear glasses for driving so an optician shouldn’t be required. Any advice welcomed, being ‘out of the business’ for so long you lose touch with everyday things in the trucking world! :blush:

Pete.

So 10 years ago, you renewed your licence, having not used it for 4 years? correct? If so, then just a normal renewal. AFAIK

SWEDISH BLUE:
So 10 years ago, you renewed your licence, having not used it for 4 years? correct? If so, then just a normal renewal. AFAIK

No, sorry to mislead you. I renewed my license on the 1/11/2011 but haven’t actually driven a truck since 2002. Easier to renew it ‘just incase’ than lose it. ISTR that in the past I recieved a form from the DVLA but wasn’t sure if that was still the case or would I need to apply for one nearer the date?

Pete.

You never lose your HGV entitlement, you would just need to take a medical to reinstate it after it expired, DVLA will send out the medical form a few months before its due.
Also, if you haven’t had a licence change for a while, think its around 2012, updating your photo would also renew your hgv entitlement without the need for the medical, did that my self last year and quite a few on here have also, and i’m sure ROG will be along sometime soon to tell you the same.

Cheers weeto, I will await the form. I have never let my license ‘drop’ just incase I ever needed it to drive (for example) a mates lorry to vintage shows etc, plus it can come in handy when I am 70+ for large motorcaravans if I can afford to buy one! . The past two renewals the doctor hasn’t charged me for the medical as I wasn’t earning a living from it (I am a carer) which was good of him. Should be a straightforward renewal then, medical state allowing of course!

Pete.

weeto:
You never lose your HGV entitlement, you would just need to take a medical to reinstate it after it expired, DVLA will send out the medical form a few months before its due.
Also, if you haven’t had a licence change for a while, think its around 2012, updating your photo would also renew your hgv entitlement without the need for the medical, did that my self last year and quite a few on here have also, and i’m sure ROG will be along sometime soon to tell you the same.

With a current valid LGV entitlement the photo change can be done but if lapsed then it will not work so a D4 medical is needed

ROG:
With a current valid LGV entitlement the photo change can be done but if lapsed then it will not work so a D4 medical is needed

Wow, I didn’t know that Rog. I have always had the medical as I assumed I needed to, so now I just need the renewal form when DVLA send it and then find a camera strong enough for a new mugshot. :wink: Not a good idea really in my opinion, I would have thought a medical was a good way of getting some of the ‘risky’ older driver’s (I’m 65+) off the road with overweight/high BP/angina/breathing problems etc that haven’t been declared but there you go. :confused: Thank’s for the info.

Pete.

windrush:

ROG:

Wow, I didn’t know that Rog. I have always had the medical as I assumed I needed to, so now I just need the renewal form when DVLA send it and then find a camera strong enough for a new mugshot. :wink: Not a good idea really in my opinion, I would have thought a medical was a good way of getting some of the ‘risky’ older driver’s (I’m 65+) off the road with overweight/high BP/angina/breathing problems etc that haven’t been declared but there you go. :confused: Thank’s for the info.

Pete.

The photo thing is a one off only for each driver if they have not had a licence issued after october 2012

If anyone feels they need a FREE medical check up then the NHS do it at your local GPs in most cases

For those over 60 there is FREE eye examinations at the opticians

Cheers Rog, I recently had a routine Doctors medical anyway so no problem there, and I can see the Sun in the sky today so my eyes must be fine haha! :smiley: Thank’s for the advice.

Pete.

windrush:
Cheers weeto, I will await the form. I have never let my license ‘drop’ just incase I ever needed it to drive (for example) a mates lorry to vintage shows etc, plus it can come in handy when I am 70+ for large motorcaravans if I can afford to buy one! . The past two renewals the doctor hasn’t charged me for the medical as I wasn’t earning a living from it (I am a carer) which was good of him. Should be a straightforward renewal then, medical state allowing of course!

Pete.

Don’t wait for the D4 to be sent if you wish to go the non medical route (updating photo) , as they have a 3mth cut off period from expiry date of you lgv entitlement and they typically will send the d4 and application for renewal around 2mths from expiry which is too late to avoid the medical, So ideally apply for photo change before end of august

Thank’s Tommy, just sent off online for a D2/D4 pack. I hadn’t realised that the license was renewed every year after 65, I thought it was 70, so I will see how the next 12 months pan out! :laughing:

Pete.